Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2015, 10:47   #1

Location: Most of my life has been in coastal Maine, recently relocated to Tampa Bay area
Boat: Cy Hamlin/Joel White wood Yawl, 1968, 32', "Dulcibella"
Economical Anchorage, Dockage or Mooring Needed while visiting DC and VA this Fall

Hi, I'm sailing from Maine to St. Pete via the C&D, Chesapeake and the Waterway to Beaufort in mid-late October. I'd like to spend a little time with my daughter in DC and other family near Charlottesville-maybe a week-10 days total. I haven't seen any non-commercial good options in DC. There are lot of choices in VA like Deltaville region, but haven't fully researched it and they're way off the track, which is fine except to get out without wheels. Would like be able to rent a car somewhere to get around and know that my boat is secure and generally safe-1978 Columbia 9.6 (32'-5'6" draft).
I'd appreciate your consideration and thoughts folks. Cheers, Will
mainesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:37   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Economical Anchorage, Dockage or Mooring Needed while visiting DC and VA this Fal

Have you tried active captain? https://activecaptain.com/X.php

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:52   #3

Location: Most of my life has been in coastal Maine, recently relocated to Tampa Bay area
Re: Economical Anchorage, Dockage or Mooring Needed while visiting DC and VA this Fal

Forgot about them-Thanks
Old 10-09-2015, 13:02   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

The anchorage in front of the Capital City YC is really good and centrally located.
Old 10-09-2015, 13:42   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
The anchorage in front of the Capital City YC is really good and centrally located.
Thanks Paul, How about dinghy landing-the club?? I'll check it out. Thanks again-Will
Old 10-09-2015, 13:52   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainesail View Post
Thanks Paul, How about dinghy landing-the club?? I'll check it out. Thanks again-Will
TheYC offers a reasonable weekly fee to use the locked dinghy dock, nice showers and the club house. Close by The Mall, fun store and the subway.
Old 10-09-2015, 13:55   #7

Boat: 1980 Tartan 33

Consider leaving the boat in the Annapolis or Baltimore area and renting a car there
Jack Lahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 15:08   #8

Boat: Bristol 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lahr View Post
Consider leaving the boat in the Annapolis or Baltimore area and renting a car there
My thoughts too. Annapolis has some very protected anchorage areas that I would be comfortable leaving the boat in. Lots of others seem comfortable leaving their boats there, too.

But I've never seen the Capitol City anchorage. Sounds intriguing.
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 15:19   #9

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lahr View Post
There are many, many, many places throughout the Bay region to leave a boat and get a rental car. Annapolis and B'more are very nice and convenient, but there are FAR cheaper choices. Free anchoring choices are even more abundant. Just get a cruising guide and discover that you have far too little time to discover everything available.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:55   #10

Boat: Westsail 32' & Laguna Windrose 19'

Hello, the Cutty Sark Marina in Norfolk, Va is very reasonable per. ft. And they have a 50 ton lift and knowledgeable yard crew to work on your boat, or you can work on your own boat. Also great food and drinks on premisis. Not the fanciest marina, but the most helpful and friendliest folks around.
peer64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:05   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
TheYC offers a reasonable weekly fee to use the locked dinghy dock, nice showers and the club house. Close by The Mall, fun store and the subway.
Just a little correction, fun store should be food store .
Old 11-09-2015, 12:10   #12

Boat: Seawind 1160 38' # 60

Charlie , Thanks for mentioning .Active/ Captain , looked it up and what a great web site ! lots of info all across the U.S. of A.
David Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:13   #13

Boat: Sceptre 41

David all around the world!!!

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 13:53   #14

Was just in dc, stayed at the gang plank marina. The anchorage just in front appears very safe. Many boats were there that appeared unattended (but definitely not derelict), so it would be easy to join them. Gang plank offer dingy dock for $10 per day. Bring your bike! We had an amazing week, but the bike IS essential for cruising around the monuments.

Enterprise rental car will pick you up at the marina and take you to their office.
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, cal, dock, mooring