Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2019, 19:16   #16

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB
Re: Earth bonding wires ??

While lightning currents can be large in magnitude their time duration is quite short. To conduct lightning currents with copper conductors is really no big deal. A significant lightning strike might produce a current of 10,000 amps for a millisecond. Electrical systems that carry 3,000 amps for hours exist all over.

What is commonly called lightning protection is not to protect from being struck but to safely conduct the current to minimize damage to structure and nearby occupants. The only way to reduce the probability of being on the receiving end of Thor is to be in the shadow of something taller and made of a better conductor.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 20:42   #17
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly View Post
While lightning currents can be large in magnitude their time duration is quite short. To conduct lightning currents with copper conductors is really no big deal. A significant lightning strike might produce a current of 10,000 amps for a millisecond. Electrical systems that carry 3,000 amps for hours exist all over. ........
Frankly
Yes, this is true, its all about the heat generated in the conductor and that requires time to be factored into the equation.

A simple example is the common fuse - it can carry 10 times (or many more times) of it's rated current for short periods of time without rupturing.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 22:19   #18

Boat: Passport40

Thanks all for the responses....I haven't quite worked out how to reply properly on the forum but in any case from your combined wisdom i will leave all those green corroded wires disconnected. She was fitted out in the US originally so that might explain all the bonding wires...pretty sure almost everything is from the original fit-out 35 years ago, no doubt those wires will be doing nothing in my favour

Can i ask further; do i still need the large sacrificial zinc that these bonding wires were previously attached to?
Wayfarer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 22:30   #19

Boat: Passport40

Hi, yes i met a guy here last summer completing his circumnavigation to....actually cant remember where he lived. But he was friends with the owner of that particular steel passport, it's pictures are on the web somewhere.... and it is impressive!!
Wayfarer111 is offline   Reply With Quote