Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2015, 15:40   #16

Re: Dumping empty fuel barrels in the ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
I, for one, consider dumping empty 55 gallon drums at sea in thousands of feet of water preferable to trying to dispose of them on land. They will disappear in short order. Better yet, preferable to turn them into a steel pan instrument. But steps should be taken to allow any residual diesel to evaporate and to make sure the drums sink, i.e., cut the drums in half with a grinder before disposing. They'll make a nice fish condo until they rust away.Dave
True, I imagine they would be corrode to nothing pretty fast. still makes me cringe.
Geekatlrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 15:49   #17

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Now that I think about.. If they were completely drained, then the amount of fuel left is probably less than the average oil spilt in the bilge during an oil change.

I would only worry about them sinking. They could get an air pocket and become a subsurface hazzard.

Still, they are worth money, at least up here!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 15:59   #18

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quite right - its terribly irresponsible.
Almost as irresponsible as owning a car, or, a boat with a motor in it.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 16:00   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
How can tossing over a drum of that size be considered fine in any since of the word.
I probably should have said legal not fine. So long as they were more than 12nm out from land it is legal to toss "food wastes and all other garbage including paper products, rags, glass, metal, bottles, crockery and similar refuse;" overboard.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 16:01   #20

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Yes, and any knee jerk emotional response for dumping carbon steel drums at sea should perhaps be redirected at the arrogance of casual wasting of money - so very "mega yacht." They are cruiser's antithesis - they do not share our ideals.

All should review the MARPOL agreements and continue to sink our empty beer bottles in the deep sea as you may conclude it's preferable to burying them on land, if not recyled, which, of course, is preferable.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 16:04   #21
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Now that I think about.. If they were completely drained, then the amount of fuel left is probably less than the average oil spilt in the bilge during an oil change.

I would only worry about them sinking. They could get an air pocket and become a subsurface hazzard.

So long as there is enough to cause a shean on the water it is a violation of the Federal Water Polution Act and requires the captain to report the spill as well as face a maximum civil fine of $125,000. Failure to report such an incident is a criminal act and carries a 5 year maximum sentence.

Old 21-08-2015, 16:43   #22

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
So long as there is enough to cause a shean on the water it is a violation of the Federal Water Polution Act and requires the captain to report the spill as well as face a maximum civil fine of $125,000. Failure to report such an incident is a criminal act and carries a 5 year maximum sentence.
In US waters, correct? What about other country's waters? And how does this compare to MARPOL on the high seas? Not that it's better for the environment overall, but what are the rules for allowing petroleum distillates to evaporate into the atmosphere rather than first forming a sheen, then evaporating?

Dave
Engineer
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 16:52   #23

Gee, about time to start about the winter sewage treatment plant spills...
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 17:14   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Smart, no; an ecological problem, virtually none. Assume the drum was pumped empty so only a small amount of residual fuel that would evaporate or get eaten by bacteria in short order and they punched holes in it so it would sink. The drum, if sunk, will very soon be eaten by seawater and disappear. The real issue is why were they dumb enough to post the video online?? Driving a large pickup or SUV has way more effect on the environment than dumping empty drums.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 17:19   #25
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

in that video, I couldn't see the barrel lashed on deck before dumping, so I guess they didn't want to live with an empty one below decks.

Dumping is not something I would have done if I had a choice, but attacking them on this smacks a bit of jealousy.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 17:53   #26

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
In US waters, correct? What about other country's waters? And how does this compare to MARPOL on the high seas? Not that it's better for the environment overall, but what are the rules for allowing petroleum distillates to evaporate into the atmosphere rather than first forming a sheen, then evaporating?

Dave
Engineer
Ya that comment made me snort out my nose.. Especially the "Attorney" at the end!

Loved the addition to your signature! LOL!

Travis
Smuck
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 18:02   #27

Boat: OEM, proportional

Just imagine.....we're tootling along in the pretty moonlight in the middle of nowhere, a nice pipe and the magic of Alice Giles's harp wafting over the speakers, a dream watch...when CLUNK! We've run into an oil drum just under the surface.

Not very likely, but while I clean up the horrible mess and grab a fresh pair of swim-shorts, I won't have any kind words to say about the dumpers. How many years could that drum float about? It was acceptable to stow full, what's wrong with taking it ashore? What else do these guys throw over the side? Whippersnappers...
Old 21-08-2015, 18:33   #28
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
in that video, I couldn't see the barrel lashed on deck before dumping, so I guess they didn't want to live with an empty one below decks.
At about 2:00 in, you can see a pair of drums on the aft deck... weighing in at almost 400 lbs. each when full, I doubt they were ever stowed anywhere else...

I'd bet the primary motviation for dumping them at the earliest possible opportunity, was to avoid spoiling the look of the boat for the video with such unsightly items on deck... Guaranteed, after looking at the first footage they'd shot, they agreed "we've got to get rid of those damn things, we're on a mission to make something cool to be put up on YouTube, after all..." ;-)

How ironic that the shot of them tossing one over the side, was bracketed between those beautiful shots of the pod of dolphins swimming at the bow, and alongside...
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 18:41   #29

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I probably should have said legal not fine. So long as they were more than 12nm out from land it is legal to toss "food wastes and all other garbage including paper products, rags, glass, metal, bottles, crockery and similar refuse;" overboard.
supposed to be ground up to small size...
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 18:43   #30
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

Dave
Engineer
A U.S. Flagged vessel is subject to U.S. Law anywhere it goes. Thus MARPOL applies. There are actually six seperate annexes that deal with oil, but it basically boils down to U. S. Ships cannot discharge diesel or oil overboard for any reason. Cooking oil is a little tricky and can be discharged under some circumstances. And evaporated diesel still leaves behind a non volatile residue that can't be discharged.

For volatiles there are restrictions, but if I am not mistaken they don't apply until there is a daily discharge in excess of what any yacht deals with. They are primarily concerned with fueling stations and mandated vapor recovery systems from filling tanks, not letting a fuel tank 'dry' out.

Tags
illegal dumping, S/Y Cowabunga, S/Y Onghiara, shame