Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2015, 08:38   #61

Re: Dumping empty fuel barrels in the ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenIssue View Post
I guess they felt it was wrong too....
shame will do that to you but the internet never forgets...
Geekatlrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 09:42   #62

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

I can't believe this is being justified by some

I know I'm naive but seriously people are defending this practice

And you lot saying it won't make any difference ? Your exactly like the mongrels that take expensive 4wd's into the wilderness and leave rubbish everywhere you camp, and of course claim 'it will make no difference to the bigger picture'.

It's 'littering' at best guys. At best

And people deliberately dump up to two unused ships a week in the oceans? Wow! Didn't know that either.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 09:43   #63

Steel turns back into iron oxide that is part of the makeup of are planet way before man dug it up and made steel. Returning it to its natural state should not evil or wrong. The planet contains no new steel only iron odxide. We dont dig up shiny steel ingots to make barrels out of.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 10:00   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellin View Post
Steel turns back into iron oxide that is part of the makeup of are planet way before man dug it up and made steel. Returning it to its natural state should not evil or wrong. The planet contains no new steel only iron odxide. We dont dig up shiny steel ingots to make barrels out of.

And we don't dig up paper
And we don't dig up plastic
And we don't dig up ..... na, can't impart what's wrong with this. If you have to be taught it, your simply not going to grasp it.
Old 22-08-2015, 10:18   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I have never justified or condoned the actions of dumping those empty barrels in the sea. What I am trying to point out is that by wringing your hands and calling people names you are missing the bigger picture. Just as big industry and government would like. Distraction.

Rustic Charm, maybe you should read more carefully before commenting.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 10:29   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I have never justified or condoned the actions of dumping those empty barrels in the sea. What I am trying to point out is that by wringing your hands and calling people names you are missing the bigger picture. Just as big industry and government would like. Distraction.

Rustic Charm, maybe you should read more carefully before commenting.
I didn't call you names! I'm reading just fine thanks. Like it said, you can't teach what's wrong with this.
Old 22-08-2015, 10:38   #67

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Rustic Charm said: And people deliberately dump up to two unused ships a week in the oceans? Wow! Didn't know that either.
Completely misquoted the post. Check here if you need to.
How many ships disappear each year? | Actuarial Eye
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 10:43   #68

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Apparently, the rules also allow for a way out.

If the master of the ship self-declares a violation before the violation is discovered by an authority, the ship's master can determine a plan to remediate the issue that caused the violation in the first place. This was apparently invoked in MARPOL due to the inability for most nations, including the US, to properly investigate violations. I read that 88% of violations prosecuted were violations of large ships failing to keep appropriate logs and not actual violations like spilling fuel.

If you agree to educate your crew to not toss things overboard and use appropriate oil containment systems, such as oil rags and those bilge tampons, those are acceptable measures by the USCG and you are not likely to get fined.

Of course, this means the violation must first be self-reported.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 10:49   #69

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I can't believe this is being justified by some

I know I'm naive but seriously people are defending this practice

And you lot saying it won't make any difference ? Your exactly like the mongrels that take expensive 4wd's into the wilderness and leave rubbish everywhere you camp, and of course claim 'it will make no difference to the bigger picture'.

It's 'littering' at best guys. At best

And people deliberately dump up to two unused ships a week in the oceans? Wow! Didn't know that either.
Most medium islands in the caribbean burn trash (this means everything - batteries, chemicals, whole appliances, etc... ), pushes what's left onto a barge, takes the metal and leftover stuff, takes it out to deep water, and pushes it overboard.

If you think you are making a difference by disposing of your trash in any trash receptical outside "the first world" you are disillusioned. Trash collection is a social jobs program.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 11:33   #70

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellin View Post

The iron ore used to make that barrell comes from a mine that has a grade that makes it economic to mine. If you dump the thing at a random place then it will not be economic to "mine it" again ever.

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 12:57   #71
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I didn't call you names! I'm reading just fine thanks. Like it said, you can't teach what's wrong with this.
Where do you think your trash goes when you throw it away in a proper, "environmentally friendly" way? Do you think the trash fairy takes it to a magical place where all of it in its entirety is recycled into new stuff?

Who's being naive? Basically, it either gets burned, buried or dumped into the ocean. At least when steel is dumped at sea, it gets broken down in a relatively short period of time and provides a home for some formerly homeless sea creatures.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 13:08   #72

Well after reading some of the responses in this thread. I have a better understanding of why I see shorelines covered in trash...
Geekatlrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 15:06   #73

As part of the delivery crew of this boat for this crossing, I would like to set the record straight.

From memory, this was about Halfway into our 14 day trip. Over 1000miles from closest land. In over 16000 ft of water.

We had a front moving in that would see us with 30-40 knots from the NW on the nose, on starboard tack for 12 hours in 20-30 foot seas.

Due to the large amount of water that would be coming over the deck, a decision was made to empty the tank into the boats tank. It was decided that the empty drum posed risk to boat and crew from the water that was to come over the deck.

The tank then had oil absorbent cloth on the end of a broom stick used to clean the drum. The drum had degreaser and water swirls around and drained again. A comment was made at the time that the drum was cleaner then the bowls we ate our cereal out of.

The tank had a few dozen holes drilled it in. It was thrown over the side and seen to sink shortly after.

Unfortunately, tough decisions need to be made offshore eg. Cut rigs loose, abandon boats etc.

Although this was not as extreme, a decision was made to protect crew and boat from a stray drum.

I think you'd agree the biggest regret was putting it in a video where it can be taken out of context.

I hope this settles the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekatlrg View Post
is this a common practice? Seen this video posted on /r/sailing/ it just Seems a tad irresponsible to me. Can someone justify this?

they toss it off about 3:05

Drum thrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 16:00   #74

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum thrower View Post
As part of the delivery crew of this boat for this crossing, I would like to set the record straight.

From memory, this was about Halfway into our 14 day trip. Over 1000miles from closest land. In over 16000 ft of water.

We had a front moving in that would see us with 30-40 knots from the NW on the nose, on starboard tack for 12 hours in 20-30 foot seas.

Due to the large amount of water that would be coming over the deck, a decision was made to empty the tank into the boats tank. It was decided that the empty drum posed risk to boat and crew from the water that was to come over the deck.

The tank then had oil absorbent cloth on the end of a broom stick used to clean the drum. The drum had degreaser and water swirls around and drained again. A comment was made at the time that the drum was cleaner then the bowls we ate our cereal out of.

The tank had a few dozen holes drilled it in. It was thrown over the side and seen to sink shortly after.

Unfortunately, tough decisions need to be made offshore eg. Cut rigs loose, abandon boats etc.

Although this was not as extreme, a decision was made to protect crew and boat from a stray drum.

I think you'd agree the biggest regret was putting it in a video where it can be taken out of context.

Well it certainly puts the action in perspective. As explained, I suspect most here including myself probably would have made the same decision.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 22-08-2015, 16:43   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum thrower View Post

Good job! You did the right thing. Well maybe not the posting video part.

wellin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
illegal dumping, S/Y Cowabunga, S/Y Onghiara, shame