Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2015, 17:45   #151

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Dumping empty fuel barrels in the ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
It could be worse.

At least it wasn't heavy oil.

Diesel evaporates readily and I have been told US warplanes routinely dump JP5 (kerosene - it's in the purple colored pipes on carriers ). If this is untrue I stand ready to be corrected.

I, for one, consider dumping empty 55 gallon drums at sea in thousands of feet of water preferable to trying to dispose of them on land. They will disappear in short order. Better yet, preferable to turn them into a steel pan instrument. But steps should be taken to allow any residual diesel to evaporate and to make sure the drums sink, i.e., cut the drums in half with a grinder before disposing. They'll make a nice fish condo until they rust away.

That said, even carrying 55 gallon drums of diesel on board is bad form and if a mega sailing yacht cannot cross an ocean without that reserve it's contrary to all cruising customs and mores I respect. I think they need to do some sailing and turn off all their needless electrical goodies including AC, satellite TVs, etc., etc., and underwater lights.....

Dave
It is odd to carry that on deck. We ship 380 gallons in 5 tanks. That drum would only be a hiccup and an inconvenient space taker-upper. Steel drum, even with a small heal of oil, on the bottom, pales in comparison to a sunken ship or the garbage dumped by NYC or even the krud coming down the Mississippi. Drums do have value in some places. I like dumping it at the pan yard in Trini.

I noticed the video has been taken down. This may have been shot years ago when such stuff was less frowned upon.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 17:51   #152
Eternal Member

One of the ironies of all this - presuming the boat returned to the Med for the summer season - is that they likely wound up having to scout around Antigua, or wherever, for another pair of drums for the return trip... Had they kept them aboard, surely someone at a place like the yard in Jolly Harbour would have been happy to have them, or they could have stored them in some corner of the yard until the spring...

My hunch is still that had there not been cameras aboard ONGHIARA, or a video being shot with the intent of documenting a Superyacht Passage, those drums would have remained aboard for the duration... But they were unsightly, too large to be hidden from view, and were simply spoiling the shots...

As a photographer, I know how that goes, sometimes...

;-)
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 14:18   #153

While in the Corps, we caught a ride on the USS Kearsarge over to our desert vacation.
It always blew my mind that all the scrap metal in the trash was sifted out.... Smashed into boxes and thrown overboard. That's 4,000+ peoples trash we are talking about.....
Not just 1 barrel. I'm guessing this is normal for large naval ships ?
SailingJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 15:08   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
My hunch is still that had there not been cameras aboard ONGHIARA, or a video being shot with the intent of documenting a Superyacht Passage, those drums would have remained aboard for the duration... But they were unsightly, too large to be hidden from view, and were simply spoiling the shots...
Or, post theft, no better place to deep six before land ho than mid stream.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 15:56   #155
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Maybe when these guys are done in the Pacific, they'd be willing to help out the Atlantic side? WORLD’S FIRST OCEAN CLEANING SYSTEM TO BE DEPLOYED IN 2016: The Ocean Cleanup, developing technologies to extract, prevent and intercept plastic pollution

A pretty nice write up by a friend of mine - trash | Sailing Anarchy

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 18:53   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I noticed the video has been taken down. This may have been shot years ago when such stuff was less frowned upon.
With a wide angle HD camera? (most likely a go pro)

Doubt it.
HughMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 08:57   #157

Boat: Island Packet 35

The amount of oil dumped by Tankers off shore both inside and outside coastal boundaries is staggering, I wouldn't get too excited over a few drops when you put it in perspective however, legal or not it does come down to your own personal ethics, me no way. Just like hiking, hunting or any other excursion in nature, if you can pack it in on your back full, you can certainly pack it out empty!!
I do certainly see dumping if there were an emergency or safety circumstances that might warrant doing so, maybe there was more to the story we do not know, upcoming storm maybe?
nicholson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 09:47   #158

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
So long as there is enough to cause a shean on the water it is a violation of the Federal Water Polution Act and requires the captain to report the spill as well as face a maximum civil fine of $125,000. Failure to report such an incident is a criminal act and carries a 5 year maximum sentence.
A most impractical law. A teaspoon of oil will cause a sheen on water. If everyone reported such and the Coastguard had to fill out a form on a piece of paper (most likely in triplicate) this would cause more damage to the enviornment then most spills. Would be more practical to supply (diesel diapers capable of cleaning spills on water of less then a quart.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
illegal dumping, S/Y Cowabunga, S/Y Onghiara, shame