Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2017, 01:36   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Dumb question...Do you hang fenders when at anchor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
It is difficult to deploy fenders in such a way that they provide protection when at anchor. A boat that is dragging will turn beam on to the wind so will be at a significant angle when it hits. Likewise, a boat that swings into you will usually hit with its stern quarter.

It is not impossible but unlikely in both cases that you will have a fender in the correct position. This is especially true for a dragging boat, and these are the boats that are likely to hit with speed and do damage.

However, it is very helpful to have a couple of fenders and a boat hook that can be deployed rapidly. If you see a boat dragging or swinging into you and are quick you can position a roving fender in the right spot. Be careful, dragging boats can injure and there has been at least one fatality from someone who was crushed, so keep body parts well away.

This photo shows how a dragging boat (the middle white boat) is likely to hit. It is just about to collide with the grey boat. Notice how a dragging boat will frequently adopt an attitude at close to a 90° angle to the wind and therfore almost at right angles to an anchored boat. Of course this usually all happens at 2am

My incident happend at dinner time and the boat.that.drug was nose to the 35 kt winds coming down the starboard side and his anchor was comming.down my port side. Was a real firedrill (im solo ) to pull his anchor and.chain before it fouled mine . I threw his anchor as far and as high aft of me as I could . The next day I moved him to where he was high and dry on the low tide. I was pissed my pork roast was cold by the time I was done .
Old 14-03-2017, 01:39   #32
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Ewol, by that logic, Fenders should never be removed, especially if racing.

I have never hung fenders at anchor as I never allow myself to be dangerously close.

I do keep a couple of fenders handy for a point of contact, if another boat drags, but that is just a precaution.

If you think of the unnecessary rubbing and chaffing on your Paint work from fenders hanging and swinging at anchor, it is pretty stupid.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 01:59   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Ewol, by that logic, Fenders should never be removed, especially if racing.

I have never hung fenders at anchor as I never allow myself to be dangerously close.

I do keep a couple of fenders handy for a point of contact, if another boat drags, but that is just a precaution.

If you think of the unnecessary rubbing and chaffing on your Paint work from fenders hanging and swinging at anchor, it is pretty stupid.

Hi Pelagic,

Normally when you race you are supposed to be awake, so in that situation you can prevent dangers and collisions, also when racing fenders would slow you down when touching water, while when you are at anchor you might be sleeping or distracted, or away from your boat and you don't have any speed to maximize....

Surely you can do as you like, like everyone, but when I am at anchor I prefer to have some paint weared out than a serious damage in case of collision...and that is not stupid in my view, it's just my choice
EWOL Props is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 02:19   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
No fenders at anchor not needed and you will just have to retrieve them before setting sail
Why? Just saves time at the next anchorage not having to deploy them.

But no we don't typically put the fenders out at anchor unless I'm just getting the out of the way.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 02:21   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWOL Props View Post
Yes, it's always suggested (and in some geographies it's mandatory) to put fenders when at anchor, you might be alone when you arrive but other boats could arrive later and many times among the various boats some anchoring might not have done properly or at a safety distance.
Who's making this suggestion or worse mandatory idea?

Hardly ever see an anchored boat with fenders deployed unless rafting.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 07:01   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWOL Props View Post
. . . Surely you can do as you like, like everyone, but when I am at anchor I prefer to have some paint weared out than a serious damage in case of collision...and that is not stupid in my view, it's just my choice
I don't do it, but I don't see anything in the world wrong with this approach, and I don't think there's anything stupid about it. I also don't think there is any paint wear to speak of from deployed fenders, since they are not being pressed against the hull by a dock or anything.

For the reasons Noelex explained, I don't think deployed fenders are likely to do a lot of good in case someone drags into you, but they won't hurt anything, either. They might help a lot in case of a glancing, broadside, sideswipe collision, which happens from time to time in anchorages.

Plus it will make it easier for me to raft up to you . . .
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 07:17   #37

I keep them out when at anchor. I put them on the side where I have the pump-out boat tie up. Those boats keep a 'daisy-chain' of fenders around their rub rail, however I do it anyway. It also keeps the fenders off the deck and generally out of the way.

I doubt they'd be effective if a boat did bump, but when at anchor, these are typically slow motion incidents anyway.

As for anchor markers. NEVER!!!! boats travelling through the anchorage can foul it in their running gear. Now you have two boats adrift, one which has no propulsion or steerage. There is also no point in an anchor marker.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 17:21   #38
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

only when i need to get to shore via panga--then itis near mandatory so boat sustains no damages.
oh yeah and when i use my rigid dink..hahahahaha bam bam is a lil disconcerting even if it is plastic on fg--which does make dings in the mothership.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 00:26   #39

Boat: 10' surfboard

Zeehag is "Bam Bam" your hard dinks name? I love that! Bam Bam goes bump in the night... without friendly fender.
nematon785 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, fender