Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2017, 14:16   #16

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: Dual Jib Furlers - Why Not?

I've seen a self-tacking jib on an inner furler with a Code 0 on an outer furler. It was a pretty good system since the Code zero didn't usually come out if there was going to be a lot of tacking involved.
Old 10-03-2017, 16:41   #17

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

I purchased an ALADO furling system kit for my boat.

The foil sections have a groove on both sides to accommodate two (2) head-sails. I have never attached two simultaneously, because that would make for a rather large 'bundle' when furled. One could hoist two head-sails for a long 'wing & wing' downwind run, but it would need to be for a few hours to make the effort of bending on a second sail worthwhile.

BTW the ALADO product is an excellent high quality, trouble-free, furling system. No ball bearings to cause problems, just simple nylon bushings.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 17:06   #18

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

There are "only" a few dozen problems to overcome in order to make such a setup work. At least that readily come to mind right now. And then if you did get it to "work", it would create another few dozen problems. So where do you want to start exactly?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:50   #19

Boat: Shannon 43 ketch

Our 1985 Shannon 43 Ketch was rigged that way when we purchased her three years ago: Genoa to port, Yankee to starboard, and a smaller staysail about halfway between the headsails and mast. We sailed her that way for over a year, and we found that the rig was more trouble than good. For instance, we could only roller-furl the Genny while on a starboard tack ... if we tried it on a port tack, we'd frequently get the Yankee drawn into the Genny and it would be a mess. We had a major factory overhaul last year, and when we did, we re-rigged for just a single headsail. Life is much more pleasant, now.
YellowcakeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:32   #20

Boat: a sailing boat

I do not think there is any problem doing what you want. The point is they are so much more practical when you place them in line: you can then fly a smaller heavier sail inside and a lighter bigger sail outside.

But I think it is bang simple and doable to have them side by side, if this is what you prefer. Impractical on an ocean crossing but possibly a great idea on a lake.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:51   #21

Boat: 1984 Merit 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
I can see a way to preferencially (sp?) tension one side or the other with a highfield lever led to the cockpit for each side but it adds one more thing to remember, like swapping running backstays during a tack or gybe.
For what it's worth, "preferencially" is correctly spelled "preferentially".

I have "wrenched" my brain to find any other way I could contribute to this thread, but all I got was a wrenched brain

Aarrrgh!
Aaarrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 16:29   #22

I knew that there were probably some good reasons why this type of rig was not commonly seen and you all came up with the very practical reasons why such a rig is not such a great idea. I appreciate those of you that shared your experiences with this style rig and why it didn't work very well. I've read and re-read this thread and as usual have learned a lot. Thanks one and all for your contributions.
-johnny
johnny AoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 18:13   #23

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2343859
quote:
Quote:
There was a brief period in the 1960's, maybe early 1970's where side by side head stays were tried. ..second headsail.. and ..double headsails when running which cruisers liked. ..
With roller furlers the problems would be multiplied since the headstays would have to be separated further.
Some Shannon 38' had double side by side furlers. I found it a useful arrangement, but would have preferred a better arrangement for the double sets of sheets, because the outboard sheets work fine, but the sheets from each furler that cross create some issues which need to be addressed.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 15:58   #24

Boat: 1984 Merit 25

When I bought my '84 Merit 25, it had a double luff groove extrusion on the forestay, and twin jib sheets. I was successful at learning to hoist and fly both my jib and my genoa. It was pretty brittle from age, and I recently replaced it with a furler. Those extrusions are still available, and if you want to fly two foresails, I assure you that this is much simpler than twin furlers, but no furling capability.

Is there such a thing as a furler with two grooves, where you could hoist a second jib?

Aarrrgh!
Aaarrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 16:34   #25

Boat: 2010 Andrews 28

Elvstrom Sails has a downwind sail with 2 genoas connected on one furler. Unique!
silversailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 16:55   #26

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Shannon, Saga.
Old 06-11-2017, 13:49   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaarrgh View Post
When I bought my '84 Merit 25, it had a double luff groove extrusion on the forestay, and twin jib sheets. I was successful at learning to hoist and fly both my jib and my genoa. It was pretty brittle from age, and I recently replaced it with a furler. Those extrusions are still available, and if you want to fly two foresails, I assure you that this is much simpler than twin furlers, but no furling capability.

Is there such a thing as a furler with two grooves, where you could hoist a second jib?

Aarrrgh!
I'm pretty sure profurls foils have double luff grooves except my small 290 which is asymmetrical.
Alberg30Shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 17:45   #28

Boat: Outremer 55L

The Facnor furler on my cat has double luff grooves. I guess you could roll up two sails together that you then split for dead downwind wing and wing. But that’s a lot of extra weight to have a second sail up all the time.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 19:43   #29

Boat: Luders 36
Dual Jib Furlers - Why Not?

Everyone should go back to top of thread before answering. Question was: why not two rollers side be side, so if you use the forward one on a Solent rig, you don’t have to furl/unfurl when you tack. I think most furlers have two grooves. That was not the question.
Jman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:41   #30

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Barnakiel,
I know of an 1981 pilothousr Shannon 38 that was built for ocean crossings with dual roller furlers on a bowsprit that has crossed the Atlantic a half dozen times.

The rig is useful downwind and upwind with no major sail handling (also has a smaller boom staysail), The only problem is the crossing inner sheets which require special attention.

It has genoa, working jib and staysail all ready to go except the sheets and reduces sail handling a lot, while providing a wide range of sail chioces and sets.

More modern boats have developed a different plan that is appropriate for their speed.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler, jib