Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2016, 12:20   #16

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: Driving to Key West

The Skyway can be kinda hairy in high winds, especially if you have a lifted Land Cruiser
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:28   #17

The way you get bridge and other information of this sort is to look at a chart. Its all there.
rostan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:04   #18

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS2Dude View Post
My wife and I would like to drive to Key West, but neither of us particularly like tall bridges. (We'd prefer to sail there, but our boat is in a lake near Atlanta, GA) If anyone knows, what is the tallest span on the trip? I believe it is in the 7 mile bridge, but I can't get any details on how tall.

If we go, what would you suggest? We've heard that when the cruise ships come in you can barely walk down the street.
First consideration is what time of year you will be driving, and what time of day.

Off season has heavy traffic, in season at the wrong time of day and wrong day of the week it can be stop and go bumper to bumper for hours. While the speed limit is often 50mph for most of the trip it is common for traffic to be so heavy you may be averaging 10mph.

Another problem any time of year is a vehicle accident which can stop traffic till it is cleared. Even if this only takes half an hour it can back up traffic for miles. Remember there is only one road US1 that goes through the Keys and the side roads normally only go off 90 degrees from US1 so there are no alternate routes.

Once you get South of Florida City, the last place on the main land, parking can be a problem. If you are staying in a hotel you will have a parking space, but it is common for there to be something of a walk from your room to the parking space. The parking space may be small and the parking lot may be crowded. Getting on the highway can also be a problem from the parking lot if the traffic is bumper to bumper.

Lots of folks have a love/hate relationship with Key West. There are some interesting things to sea and if you like diving, fishing, or just being on the water it can be great. But there is also a sleaze factor that bothers some folks. Not trying to be political but there is also a huge wealth disparity. You will see poor practically homeless folks right next to millionaires on the street or in many businesses. There is also a disproportionate number of folks with alternative life styles, not just the gay life style but alternative life styles you may have never seen before.

Quite frankly my take is the height of bridges is the least of your worries. Enjoy your trip.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:12   #19

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

The other thing to be aware of when driving to KW is the traffic problems caused by the school buses. Plan to leave Miami shortly after 9 AM and you will miss most of the top end rush hour and the buses in the Keys. Same for the return. Fri. afternoon thru Sun. are rediculous. JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:15   #20

The drive through the Florida Keys is spectacular.

The traffic is s l o w , or horendous.
Truly a must do...at least once, best at sunrise on a Sunday morning, less traffic.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:38   #21

Boat: Scout 30

Here's an idea: www.seakeywest.com
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:41   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
There is also a disproportionate number of folks with alternative life styles, not just the gay life style but alternative life styles you may have never seen before.
I take exception to the "alternative gay life style"
Alternative=choice
Gay=no choice

So, how is the sailing in KW?

In a pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:45   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I wouldn't drive it on a bet, how about flying down and renting a car once you get there?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:12   #24

Key West can be extremely crowded at times. If you like to hang out with drunken tourists, like to smoke joints, and do not mind a lot of public nudity and sex, great place to go. Its idea for the 20 something set. Loud, did i talk about the noise. Bring ear plugs for a good night's sleep. How much does you car draft
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:17   #25

Areas of the keys are gorgeous and worth the trip. There's lots to see and do on the way to Key West (snorkeling at John Pennecamp Underwater State Park, swimming with the dolphin on Marathon, fishing, renting a boat, snorkeling, chilling on the beach, etc.). All I can say about Key West is it's an "interesting" place. Great for a visit.

The roadways & bridges have been replaced over the years so the drive is as safe as it can be. I understand not being 100% comfortable with certain aspects of the drive, since my wife is not a fan of highways and bridges either. However, she gets my support and when she is focused, the discomfort fades and it gets easier each time... as I'm sure it will for you guys too.

By the way, the Sunshine Skyway bridge that was mentioned in this topic, is in the Tampa area and nowhere near the keys.

Here's a link to a short video that might give you a picture of the drive.

Enjoy the trip!!
kapnkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:32   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I wouldn't drive it on a bet, how about flying down and renting a car once you get there?
I just did this drive last month.....had NO issues at all. We broke up the drive by staying at the Post Card Inn in Isla Morada. In fact it was quite dead at Isla Morada....we basically had Wahoo's all to ourselves. No traffic and especially no bridge issues, whatever those may be.

Coming back, drove non stop to Naples....again, no issues whatsoever.

Maybe we were just lucky as I was expecting it to be a lot more crowded in every respect.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:36   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Key West can be extremely crowded at times. If you like to hang out with drunken tourists, like to smoke joints, and do not mind a lot of public nudity and sex, great place to go. Its idea for the 20 something set. Loud, did i talk about the noise. Bring ear plugs for a good night's sleep. How much does you car draft
Wow....REALLY? I didn't experience ANY of that last month when I was there....except for maybe a few drunk tourists. Public SEX and NUDITY?....sorry I missed THAT.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:36   #28

Usually the highway moves along quite well with the exception of accidents or drunks who drive at 5 mph. The crowds are in the town of Key West when thousands of tourists debark from the giant tour ocean liners during the day. No exaggeration. Be sure to take advantage of all the pit stops along the way just in case. You do not want to have a potty emergency and get stuck in traffic if there is an accident or someone has gotten blown off the road.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:37   #29

Boat: Scout 30

Key West threads always seem to get a little heated. I think if you've never been you need to go at least once. There's more than just drinking, partying & crazy people but there is a lot of that. I recommend catching a ride to the Dry Tortugas while you're there.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:37   #30
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
I just did this drive last month.....had NO issues at all. We broke up the drive by staying at the Post Card Inn in Isla Morada. No traffic and especially no bridge issues, whatever that may be.

Coming back, drove non stop to Naples....again, no issues whatsoever.

Maybe we were just lucky as I was expecting it to be a lot more crowded in every respect.
May i ask what day and at what time did you drive it? thanks
In a pickle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
key west