Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2014, 00:21   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Dramatic Footage Of Small Boat In A Storm..

This is certainly an emotional piece of film. Apologies if it has been posted before.

Warning! He uses offensive words in this, which is sort of understandable in the circumstances, but don't watch it if it may offend.

Coops.
Old 23-08-2014, 00:54   #2

Boat: currently a power boat :(
Re: Dramatic Footage Of Small Boat In A Storm..

Intense
Old 23-08-2014, 01:05   #3

Boat: Mac 26X

I have not seen it before. If somone knows more please post.

Edit...simple google search found: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dom_Mee
Old 23-08-2014, 01:49   #4

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Dom Mee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dom Mee is a British adventurer who attempted in August/September 2005 to cross the North Atlantic Ocean in a 14' (4.26 m) kite-propelled boat, dubbed the Little Murka.

His journey began from Saint John's, Canada, on August 19, 2005. The main kite was 107.6 sq. ft. (10 m².) in area, which gave the boat speeds of up to thirteen knots. The boat was carrying 60 days' worth of provisions. The total length of the journey was to be 2,000 nautical miles (3,700 km): he planned to arrive at Exmouth in Devon, southwest England, in 35 days, but arduous weather conditions slowed his progress, often driving him back, and damaging his communications equipment. After weathering three severe storms, the Kite Boat lost its sea anchor on Sunday 25 September, lashed by 70 km/h winds in seas up to 18 m high. A series of capsizes followed, and Dom's cabin filled with water. He spent five hours clinging to the upturned hull, before a wave righted the boat. For a further 24 hours he managed to keep the boat afloat, before he was rescued by the Canadian Coast Guard. A year later the Little Murka encrusted with barnacles washed up on the shores of Ireland and Dom's "farewell" video was recovered.

Dom Mee's journey from St. Johns, Newfoundland to Exmouth, Dorset, England, will be approximately 2000 nautical miles, or 3700 kilometers. Dom is using spinnaker replacement kites manufactured by KiteShip Corporation.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 15:29   #5

Boat: Colin Archer,One Off Cutter26 foot

You have to give it to guys like Dom. A video of clinging to an upturned hull followed by actual sea conditions and awaiting rescue in what appeared to be a boat with a lot of water in it. I am looking at a special person to accomplish such a blog , the chap must have nerves of steel.
Can't say I own a single picture of really heavy weather sailing, including sea conditions leading up to a bad knockdown in the North Pacific. The reasons probably where the boat was left to its own devices under wind vane, and I was to busy holding on during the wild ride. I also recall hand steering for 12 hours due to breaking waves 100 km out of the Washington coast ,sunny skies and strong NW to 30 kn with very steep waves running between 5 to 6 meters. So much for heading out near the continental shelf and running down the coast as many have suggested in the past. Cheers Tom
auscruisertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 17:11   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

Why do such stunts in the middle of a hurricane season.

No question mark there.

b-
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 21:56   #7

I watched this video a few days ago, and bit my tungue because I was so disgusted with it. I decided not to post, but after a few days of thinking about it, I am posting, and will probably offend people with my language. The first word would be Clueless , which is the polite way of saying Idiot. Fatigue, and fear rot men from the inside out, but an "Adventurer" whining into a video camera about his electrical panels (in a 14 foot boat) being wet, and not being able to talk to people, and his radar beacon, and GPS not working seems like the way sailing is becoming so dependent on electronics that people forget that keeping the boat safe comes much before worrying about if you can talk to land or not ( he still had an EPIRB) . He said his first priority was getting his electrics working. All we as CF members need to do, is look at the electronics sub forum, or the Nav forum to realize that way too many people think that $30,000 worth of electronics are going to make us safe on the Ocean. Too many people give up, rather than carry on, if one or more of their electronic toys fail. Electronics never are a good substitute for basic seamanship. I may sound harsh, but it is people like this ADVENTURER that make small boat sailing seem dangerous, when most small boat passages go about their business in a seaman like manner. Let the arrows fly! _______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 22:34   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
I watched this video a few days ago, and bit my tungue because I was so disgusted with it. I decided not to post, but after a few days of thinking about it, I am posting, and will probably offend people with my language. The first word would be Clueless , which is the polite way of saying Idiot. Fatigue, and fear rot men from the inside out, but an "Adventurer" whining into a video camera about his electrical panels (in a 14 foot boat) being wet, and not being able to talk to people, and his radar beacon, and GPS not working seems like the way sailing is becoming so dependent on electronics that people forget that keeping the boat safe comes much before worrying about if you can talk to land or not ( he still had an EPIRB) . He said his first priority was getting his electrics working. All we as CF members need to do, is look at the electronics sub forum, or the Nav forum to realize that way too many people think that $30,000 worth of electronics are going to make us safe on the Ocean. Too many people give up, rather than carry on, if one or more of their electronic toys fail. Electronics never are a good substitute for basic seamanship. I may sound harsh, but it is people like this ADVENTURER that make small boat sailing seem dangerous, when most small boat passages go about their business in a seaman like manner. Let the arrows fly! _______Grant.
Yep, your being way to harsh. Lacking empathy is what it's called. But that's what armchair forums are for.
Old 31-08-2014, 05:16   #9

Boat: Colin Archer,One Off Cutter26 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
As a cruising sailor that has done his fair share of single handed sailing I have experienced the many emotions that can come with being fatigued .

And undoubtedly I would also exhibit a fair degree of stress sailing a slightly lengthened bathtub without a radio and lights including navigation lights, in an area that has considerable shipping.

I may sound harsh but small boat sailing is Dangerous, because when the Sh$t hits the fan and winds are gusting past 30 kn and a small 14 footer gets knocked down repeatedly or worse, its about Survival and not going about business in a seaman like manner. Cheers Tom
auscruisertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 06:02   #10

Boat: Formosa 41

I find it interesting that ultimately the boat completed the voyage.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 06:55   #11

Think about the guy as Scott, of sorts. ADVENTURER. Then think about what Amudsen said about adventure. Then think about who made it.

Media stunters are whiners. Failure and whining are so much easier than making it.

b.
Old 31-08-2014, 14:52   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Think about the guy as Scott, of sorts. ADVENTURER. Then think about what Amudsen said about adventure. Then think about who made it.

Media stunters are whiners. Failure and whining are so much easier than making it.

b.
I take it you have never been in a situation where you needed rescuing then?
Old 31-08-2014, 15:49   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedsherrin View Post
I take it you have never been in a situation where you needed rescuing then?
We did not carry an EPIRB.
We did not carry a liferaft.
We did not carry a video camera.

We got ****-scared and kept on going.

b.