Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2015, 04:47   #16

Boat: Beneteau 323
Re: Drag Queen

I don't think Drag Queen worth the risk because it is not 100% reliable. On the night it does not work your $20-500k boat might end up on the rocks. We tried several Android apps and then moved on to our Garmin's anchor alarm instead. Slept a lot better.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 05:09   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

This must be an OS or confit issue. While waiting for some resin to dry I just tested it on my iPhone. Worked fine.

While you can use the Garmin, I could Drag Queens unique alarm attention getting. I am not competent on Android devices, it may be useful to you and others to post something wherever you download so either the bug is fixed, or to ensure others properly configure the app and its access to the phones's GPS.

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 05:37   #18

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch

I use it and love it. On my personal boat I use it and the Chartplotter at my nav desk. When I'm running charters on a variety of boats I rely solely on DQ and sleep well.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 06:54   #19

Boat: Orca 38

I've used Drag Queen exclusively for a few years now and like it a lot. I've tried several others, and still check new ones out when I see them, but so far, nothing compares to it in my book. I've been on anchor full time for five months now with it, and have learned to sleep well knowing it's there.

I use it to get my attention to several types of boat movement, wind shifts and increases, tidal shifts. I had to install a charging station for it though because it has to have external power to it when the alarm is turned on, otherwise it will drain an Idevice quickly.

I use my iPad, and my iPhone, not sure about the android versions at all.
Old 28-07-2015, 07:41   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

OK, at least on my Iphone for the App to work, you have to leave it open, if you lock the phone the App doesn't work.
This of course will kill the battery pretty soon, so you have to leave the phone on charge, that to me is a drawback, but it's the way it is, at least on my Iphone 4S anyway.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 09:09   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

For an anchor alarm to work well, with maximum sensitivity and minimum false alarms, the centre of the alarm radius needs to be able to be placed over the anchor.

With a phone, or tablet you can take it to bow and set the alarm when the anchor is dropped, but that is PITA. It is much better to have the ability to set an alarm off-centred from your current position. In this way it can be set correctly after you have dropped back on the anchor rode.

Does DragQueen do this? It does not seem too, at least with my very old version.

I normally use a marine GPS for my normal anchor alarm, but there seems to be better apps than DragQueen.

iDrifter XL seems good.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 10:09   #22

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Seems odd to see such disparate opinions. Works great for some, doesn't work at all for others.

Maybe appropriate for some to mention what OS and hardware it doesn't work on?

FWIW, our Android versions work fine on Samsung phones and Nexus and Samsung tablets.

-Chris
Old 28-07-2015, 11:04   #23

Boat: Orca 38
Drag Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
iDrifter XL seems good.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out!

It's only me, and I'm not advocating anything to anyone, but I use my phone to set the position when I drop anchor, then transfer the location to my iPad at the nav station. My phone has a back up copy of Navionics on it, as well as Drag Queen and a few other apps, the duplicity alone is worth a bunch to me.

I also put in charging stations at convenient locations throughout the boat so that whichever device I'm using at the time can roam with me.

For the iPad to remain in active mode and not go to sleep during Navionic usage, it's gotta be plugged in. When it's being used with Drag Queen, same thing, it's gotta be plugged in if you have the alarm on. I don't have a problem with that, I'm not sure I know of any chart plotters or anchor alarms that DON'T need to be wired. I also kinda like the glow in the pilot house when at anchor and the anchor light is lit.....It gives another frame of reference to anyone entering an anchorage late.

So I'm able to leave one device plugged in and alarm set (iPhone) while I take the other (iPad), and go read from my extensive technical library I've assembled, or spy novels, or westerns, or sci fi, or classics......and with the swipe of a hand I can spot check the anchor alarm, chartplotters (plural). I like that........

Throw in a life proof case, and some ram mounts, and johns a happy sailor.
But I'm new at this so don't take my word for it. I'm sure Davie Jones has a special place for sailors that use toys like this.

So, iPad 2, iPhone 5

Yes, iDrifter XL looks very good. I just purchased it and will check it out tonight.
Old 28-07-2015, 18:45   #24

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
With a phone, or tablet you can take it to bow and set the alarm when the anchor is dropped, but that is PITA. It is much better to have the ability to set an alarm off-centred from your current position. In this way it can be set correctly after you have dropped back on the anchor rode.
Agree. I use Anchor Alert on Android and set it at the helm when reversing to test the anchor set.

With the rode tight, you enter the distance to the anchor and point the phone to it. The app works out the anchor position using the GPS and compass. It might take a minute for it to narrow down the estimate to be within 5 metres. Press OK and your done. It also has SMS feature to contact another phone if you are ashore and it alarms.

As others have noted, these apps consume battery so you really need to have it plugged in.

I understand those who do not want to rely on such an app for their safety. I agree. In that case use your plotter as backup with a greater swing radius. It won't be as good as the phone app, but may resolve your anxiety over reliability.
Old 28-07-2015, 23:44   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
I understand those who do not want to rely on such an app for their safety. I agree. In that case use your plotter as backup with a greater swing radius. It won't be as good as the phone app, but may resolve your anxiety over reliability.

Some marine GPS units allow an offset point to be used as the centre of the alarm radius.

From a power consumption point of view, a large colour MFD is not ideal, although if you turn the brightness down some are acceptable.

The very best solution is one of the small marine GPS units. I use a Furuno GP-32. These units consume little power (less than 0.2 A), give you a graphical display of your position, are hard wired into 12v, have no possibility of software conflicts or unexplained shut downs and have an external aerial. The last feature is important. If you want to set tight limits the GPS position needs to be as accurate as possible to avoid false alarms. Internal aerials don't manage this as well.

This is fitted next to our bed. Kinky
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	106286  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 15:28   #26
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450

To Everyone that suggested the Drag Queen app, Thank You is has allowed us to travel with a LITTLE more peace of mind

SV TOT
Wayne 😃