Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2016, 04:17   #16

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Don't you just love spinnakers?

Frankly, I'm a Spinnaker junkie. Especially when it's blowing. Planing (or downwind surfing) Rocks!

That, & when you pick up a bunch of crap, old kites from sailmakers, & grab the guys plus a couple of slabs on a day when it's blowing. And have one heck of a time screaming downwind, making nylon confetti.

This is a FAV clip of mine. People pay big $ for adrenaline rushes like this.

But too, it's a testament to the stability of the hull form. As most boats wouldn't have stayed under control through something like that. And would have wound up in a hellacious knockdown.
--> Keep your hatch boards in at sea kids! <--

This is another classic. I mean how else do you do 40kts+?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 04:33   #17

Yeah, LUV this one! It was on a page of the "Ask Dr. Crash" calender, & in his monthly "column" in Sail magazine. BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Yup.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
Old 25-05-2016, 04:40   #18

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Frankly, I'm a Spinnaker junkie. Especially when it's blowing. Planing (or downwind surfing) Rocks!

This is a FAV clip of mine. People pay big $ for adrenaline rushes like this.
Ha, thats a great clip Uncivilised,I guess thats what you get when you break the 'no whitecaps' rule by five points on the beaufort scale...

Here is one I really like, skip to about 3 minutes and you will see a early 1980's two tonner being well sailed downwind on the very edge of control. Beautiful in its own way and kudos to the trimmers and helm who seem to be able to control that IOR death roll.
Old 25-05-2016, 05:10   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Ha, thats a great clip Uncivilised,I guess thats what you get when you break the 'no whitecaps' rule by five points on the beaufort scale...

Here is one I really like, skip to about 3 minutes and you will see a early 1980's two tonner being well sailed downwind on the very edge of control. Beautiful in its own way and kudos to the trimmers and helm who seem to be able to control that IOR death roll.
Yeah, they've got a good handle on her. That's definitely one of those times when you can't have too much weight aft. And "it's always fun, until somebody inverts the mast".

It's a BIG step up from say, the Swan's of the same Era. Where we commonly dipped the; Pole end, Boom, & Masthead, at speed.
Wild, fun, memorable rides. And you NEVER forget your 1st broach at speed, where you lose the Windex via dragging it through the water at 15kts+

Here's a Blast From the Past. Check out how this Cal 40 smokes it downwind! 25kts ain't bad for an Old Girl...
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=794377693830

Old 25-05-2016, 05:20   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Owww! The mast looks like it may be trimmed with excessive rake!! What a great s hot of a very unfortunate incident.

And for us... we love our kite, but it is a big bugger, and we now only fly it in pretty light conditions, or if we have guest crew on board. But the boat loves it too, and is pretty easy to control... up to a point. We try to avoid that point!

Jim
Jim, I have to LOUDLY applaud you & Ann for doing as much, knowing your ages, as well as what it takes to control a kite on a boat that size!

Doing that's a feat for most couples in their 20's.

Old 25-05-2016, 05:30   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Yep, absolutely love an MPS on a multi, best cruising sail ever invented.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dilligara Spinnaker.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	124851  
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 05:44   #22

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Those cal 40's were a real anomaly. They look pretty impressive when they get up and boggie, bow up high, and a curtian of water blasting up each side!
Not bad for a 45 year old design!

Here is another video I like a lot.

Its my brother Booboo in the two handed Round north island race on a turbo'd Ross 930. I like the way they handle the boat just two up and I like the sunrise, reminds me if those bleary mornings at sea.

Around 4.30min they do a couple of peels and I just love the lazy efficiency of it all, after a night with no sleep and no autopilot.
Old 25-05-2016, 06:09   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Yep, absolutely love an MPS on a multi, best cruising sail ever invented.
We had an ancient forerunner to these, for our Chrysler 22', back in 1980, called a Drifter/Reacher/Spinnaker. It hanked onto the (wire) headstay, & along with that & the main, we'd routinely hit 12-14kts, with the boat practically steering herself.

She was Incredibly well mannered, seaworthy, & fast for a trailer toy, & we sailed her all over the Great Lakes.

Tags
spinnaker