Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: What do you really want
A "blue water" boat (go anywhere anytime boat) 18 45.00%
A cruising passagemaker (ie a cruising boat than can go the distance when the season/conditions are right) 22 55.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2015, 06:14   #31

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Don't Want a Blue Water Boat

I open up CF, scan the "Recent Discussions" and see "Don't Want a Blue Water Boat" thread. That sounds like a thread started as a poorly-veiled attempt to alleviate boredom.

"I bet," says I speaking out loud to myself (b/c I'm getting old and am starting to talk to myself ), "I bet I know who started this silly thing." And I was right .

Waste away my friend Don. You're an inspiration to all of us still stuck on land. Well, maybe not "inspiration," but you do know how to kill time with useless threads .
Old 22-04-2015, 06:40   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I don't mean to stir the pot, I really don't. But for most I think a "blue water" boat may well be a waste of money.
Makes as much sense as buying an SUV that never carries more than two people, or driving a pickup truck that has never seen anything in the bed, but if you look on the road, what do you see a lot of? It's done to impress other of course and be seen driving the "right" vehicle.

I think a lot of people buy a boat as a matter of prestige, and do not really use it all that much, and that is simply a waste, and truth be known I fear it leads to the degradation of a brand, the manufacturer will build what sells, and if what sells is Marina amenities, then you will see more and more of that, to the detriment of a seaworthy design.

So I think most have no need of a "blue water" boat, and in fact may well be a poor choice for them and not work as well as a boat meant to be a floating condo.
Truth is most "blue water" boats have really bad creature comforts when compared to designs not meant to be sailed in bad weather.
Old 22-04-2015, 06:43   #33

Boat: Bristol 27

Sell that Hunter and go Free Rangin' instead: (don't forget to send pictures!)

Old 22-04-2015, 07:19   #34
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I open up CF, scan the "Recent Discussions" and see "Don't Want a Blue Water Boat" thread. That sounds like a thread started as a poorly-veiled attempt to alleviate boredom.

"I bet," says I speaking out loud to myself (b/c I'm getting old and am starting to talk to myself ), "I bet I know who started this silly thing." And I was right .
It is amusing how routinely "Production Boats Suitable for Bluewater Voyaging" threads seem to be started by owners of a particular Brand, and with a limited resume in terms of actual offshore sailing experience...

:-)

I dunno, the distinction between a suitable "Bluewater Boat", and a "Cruising Passagemaker" would seem to be a VERY fine line, to me...

So fine, in fact, as to be essentially meaningless... :-)

One is suited for sailing to Bermuda in June, the other in November, perhaps?
Old 22-04-2015, 07:23   #35

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
I think there should be another option in your poll:

"A comfortable cruising boat for inland waterways (e.g. ICW), protected waters (e.g. lakes and bays) and river and coastal cruising."

As I see it, most sailors sail in those waters and not in "blue water" or "blue water passages" or "circumnavigations" or "high latitudes."
Yep, that would be my boat and my cruising grounds. There are enough places in my country (the USA) to keep me entertained for the rest of my days. I'm heading out again the end of this month for six weeks or so.

Every boat is a compromise. The 'blue water boat" is great for the high seas but is less than ideal for the AICW for example.

Hopefully, we figure out what suits us best before we write the check.
Old 22-04-2015, 07:39   #36

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

Waste away my friend Don. You're an inspiration to all of us still stuck on land. Well, maybe not "inspiration," but you do know how to kill time with useless threads .
One of the options we have on this forum is not responding to threads that don't interest us. What doesn't interest you may be a valid post to some other members.

To me, it's a valid post or poll because we have a wide variety of posters and boats represented here and a wide variety of boating uses. Some folks cruise from continent to continent while others cruise the coasts of the USA or other countries. It's all cruising, right? A lot of the arguments start because people just assume that everyone else is using his/her boat the way they do.

There's supposed to be a "be nice" policy on this forum. Sometimes it's hard to do but if someone hasn't insulted you there's no need to start it.
Old 22-04-2015, 07:43   #37

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

(...) its been proved just about any Boat is Blue Water capable (...)
There may be a shade of difference though between one that may do and one that will routinely do.

We have sailed rtw in our sailing boat. When people look at our boat and tell me she is a proper blue water boat, I just give them that dumb look of mine ... and then I turn my eyes towards the horizon of human misunderstanding.

b.
Old 22-04-2015, 08:07   #38

Boat: Offshore 33 cat ketch

Where does the tin foil quote come from? Didn't get a hit on google tagging it to a movie or person.

Thanks
Mike S.
Old 22-04-2015, 08:16   #39

Boat: 1983 Pan Oceanic 38

After reading many of the replies to this poll I am glad that I am not friends with the majority of posters. Snarky replies berating the person posting the poll. I am new to this forum but not to sailing and expected a higher level of maturity from sailing members. Seems like even in the cruisers forum you have created a high school click. Don't bother to reply as I don't need to hear from this type of attitude.
Old 22-04-2015, 09:08   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncycle View Post
After reading many of the replies to this poll I am glad that I am not friends with the majority of posters. Snarky replies berating the person posting the poll. I am new to this forum but not to sailing and expected a higher level of maturity from sailing members. Seems like even in the cruisers forum you have created a high school click. Don't bother to reply as I don't need to hear from this type of attitude.
That would be clique.

And why would you expect more from sailing members than the rest of humanity?

The only difference is that sailing members have a boat.

Old 22-04-2015, 09:15   #41

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Don't Want a Blue Water Boat

Quote:

Oregoncycle, sometimes attempts at humor come across as snarky. I've been told by my granddaughters that not everyone "gets" my sense of humor. In this case Sailorboy1, who is a frequent snarky poster himself, would have expected less than serious responses from this thread.

S/V B'Shert
Old 22-04-2015, 09:23   #42

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

I am partial to white with blue trim.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 22-04-2015, 09:25   #43
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
would have expected less than serious responses from this thread.

S/V B'Shert
No I posted a real thread and expected discussion based on it. But I'm not really surprised by all the nice posts as that's really what some want from the forum.
Old 22-04-2015, 09:30   #44

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
So don't get one.... and stop trolling for arguments by starting a ridiculous thread in order to stir the pot.

What happened to your friend smackhead who liked to play the same game?
I like ones that can handle green water although seeing it scares the hell out of me.
Old 22-04-2015, 09:57   #45

Quote:
The problem is you are essentially coming in 3/4 of the way thru a conversation.

A certain poster starts repetitive variations on threads with a clear intent to stir people up on a regular basis. As a result, those who have been in the converstation for a while, tend to respond accordingly and to someone coming in late, it looks like he is being picked on.
Closed Thread

Tags
water