Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2013, 03:15   #1

Dolphin Tricks

I am happy to say that the journey of our new (to us) boat from Annapolis to Folly Beach SC is complete and it is currently resting at our slip in preparation for the Bahamas. I had a very unique experience when leaving a marina in Southport NC at dawn. A large dolphin jumped out of the water at the bow of the boat up to the height of the bow pulpit with his back to the boat. He smacked the anchor with his flukes and dove back into the water. It was like having a very large hood ornament for a millisecond. It is common to have pods of dolphins swim off the bow but I have never had one leap up and touch the boat before. What a thrill, I hope he didn’t hurt himself! The name of our boat is “Agile Dolphin” Maybe he took exception.
Has anyone else had a dolphin make contact with their boat?
mgamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 04:51   #2

Boat: Montgomery 23 Cutter
Re: Dolphin Tricks

Interesting. Many years ago, sailing off the Seashore State Park beach in the Norfolk, Virginia area, I had a similar encounter. I was sailing an 8' Phil Bolger designed "Nymph" and a VERY big dolphin jumped out of the water across my bow and I nailed him right in mid-flight.

It was a 350lb fish vs a 83lb boat, but that pram bow on the Nymph had a double oak gunwale and a few layers of FB cloth over the Luan plywood and there was zero damage. It was over in an instant. I crashed into him (her?), slid forward into the mast, he disappeared, the boat gathered itself and began sailing again. Not me. It scared the hell out of me. I drove that little boat towards the beach, right up to where the leeboard popped out, pushed the whole rig onto the beach and spent the remainder of the afternoon soaking up the sun.

If that fish had hit me amidships, it would have been a different story.

I now own a M-23 cutter, but have recently dusted off that little boat and started sailing it again. I am convinced that the amount of fun one has on a boat is inversely proportional to the size of the boat. That formula holds up well until it starts to _______ (fill in the blank) or you need to use the toilet........

har
Jerry W
Warrenton, VA
Montgomery M-23 cutter
out of Port Kinsale, VA
Lower Potomac
JerryW is offline   Reply With Quote