Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2016, 11:16   #16
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 234
Re: Does Customs Check Engines When Coming Into USA Waters?

Start your own Navy and buy one of these
__________________

__________________
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:20   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Qatar
Posts: 88
Re: Does Customs Check Engines When Coming Into USA Waters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabcake View Post
Start your own Navy and buy one of these
At first it sounds like a great idea... 175hp outboard diesel. But reading further it is a converter gas engine. If anyone remembers, that didn't work out too well for VW back in the days of the 60mpg Rabbit. My buddy's blew head gaskets as a hobby!
__________________

__________________
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:43   #18
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 12,094
Re: Does Customs Check Engines When Coming Into USA Waters?

The Mercury outboard motor and the Lycoming Diesel drone engine are not Diesel engines.
They are spark ignition engines using Diesel fuel. Not really important for us maybe, but they aren't Diesels as they don't use high compression ratios to ignite the fuel.

Sure would be nice to have an outboard for the dinghy that burned Diesel, just a safer fuel in my opinion.
__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:53   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 234
Re: Does Customs Check Engines When Coming Into USA Waters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Sure would be nice to have an outboard for the dinghy that burned Diesel, just a safer fuel in my opinion.
No question about it and long overdue IMO. If you have a diesel powered boat, why should you have to haul gasoline (explosive) for your dinghy??
__________________
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:19   #20
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 17,466
Re: Does Customs Check Engines When Coming Into USA Waters?

If you are importing a new engine then I think it must comply. If you are visiting, no one is going to look. There may be loopholes for importing replacement parts though. Import a "powerhead" and import a "lower unit".
Frankly though, I thought diesel outboards went away/never gained popularity in the US because they were heavy and trouble some, not due to the more recent controls. Small inboard diesel engines from out of country are still imported and do not have electronic controls.
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:53   #21
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 16,639
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Does Customs Check Engines When Coming Into USA Waters?

to my best memory you cannot BUY NEW one in kali but grandfather says.......


i have never been nor has anyone i have reentered usa with, any questions about engines. customs is homeless insecurity and they seek illegal people and armaments and drugs. you should be plenty ok. do yourself a favor , while being inspected they will ask if you want the sticker.
just say yes
it is a frequent flier one so re entries are easier. forgot their name. works.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 13:37   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Victoria B.C.
Boat: CS27
Posts: 1,235
Re: Does Customs Check Engines When Coming Into USA Waters?

This one is fully compliant but would only work on a larger dinghy.

OXE - DIESEL OUTBOARD
__________________
mitiempo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 14:49   #23
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: New York City
Posts: 36
Re: Does Customs Check Engines When Coming Into USA Waters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
to my best memory you cannot BUY NEW one in kali but grandfather says.......


i have never been nor has anyone i have reentered usa with, any questions about engines. customs is homeless insecurity and they seek illegal people and armaments and drugs. you should be plenty ok. do yourself a favor , while being inspected they will ask if you want the sticker.
just say yes
it is a frequent flier one so re entries are easier. forgot their name. works.

__________________
nicholastanguma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 15:21   #24
Registered User
 
CaptTom's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Southern Maine
Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Posts: 604
Re: Does Customs Check Engines When Coming Into USA Waters?

These might also need a bigger dinghy:
__________________
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 03:42   #25
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,863
Re: Does Customs Check Engines When Coming Into USA Waters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
If you are importing a new engine then I think it must comply. If you are visiting, no one is going to look. There may be loopholes for importing replacement parts though. Import a "powerhead" and import a "lower unit".
Frankly though, I thought diesel outboards went away/never gained popularity in the US because they were heavy and trouble some, not due to the more recent controls. Small inboard diesel engines from out of country are still imported and do not have electronic controls.
I've talked to a couple of guys who have them. For the right application, they are great.

The problem is not many boats have the right application.
- Dingy: too heavy and cumbersome.
- Runabout: too heavy and not enough power to get on plane.
- Single engine trawler: inboard diesels make more sense.
- Big powerboat: inboard diesels make more sense
- Cruising monohull and most catamarans: inboard diesels make more sense.

It's really only large cruising sailboats that are designed from the ground up for outboard power where it makes sense and these are a small percentage of boats. With the advancements in 4stroke outboard technology, there wasn't much to gain with diesel and they would be oddball if you ever needed work on them...there just wasn't a market for someone to take the time and effort make them compliant.

I suspect the idea of buying one overseas and shipping it back in parts won't work or if it does it will wind up being so expensive that it doesn't make sense. Plus it won't be like new as it's been torn down and rebuilt. Any warranty long gone. And in the end, on the off chance the authorities find it, they will still confiscate it. Again a whole lot simpler to buy a legitimate used model and do a full rebuilt...probably cheaper too.
__________________
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 04:03   #26
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: New York City
Posts: 36
Re: Does Customs Check Engines When Coming Into USA Waters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I suspect the idea of buying one overseas and shipping it back in parts won't work or if it does it will wind up being so expensive that it doesn't make sense. Plus it won't be like new as it's been torn down and rebuilt. Any warranty long gone. And in the end, on the off chance the authorities find it, they will still confiscate it. Again a whole lot simpler to buy a legitimate used model and do a full rebuilt...probably cheaper too.

My research the past couple of days has made me start to suspect this very thing. And I was daring to be so hopeful when I first posted this thread...
__________________
nicholastanguma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:08   #27
Registered User
 
ranger42c's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maryland, USA
Boat: 42' Sportfish
Posts: 2,337
Re: Does Customs Check Engines When Coming Into USA Waters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholastanguma View Post
The boat is a harryproa. Simply too small, and with no inboard-friendly hull shapes anyway--both hulls tapered to sharp edges fore and aft.

Is there any huge overwhelming reason to not just change boats?

Not a recommendation, just a contrarian idea: a different approach to solving a propulsion problem...

-Chris
__________________
Selby Bay, South River, Chesapeake Bay, USA.
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:03   #28
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: New York City
Posts: 36
Re: Does Customs Check Engines When Coming Into USA Waters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Is there any huge overwhelming reason to not just change boats?

Yes--I've become enamored. Can't fall in love with a mere material thing like a boat, but you know...so close!
__________________
nicholastanguma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:22   #29
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 12,094
Re: Does Customs Check Engines When Coming Into USA Waters?

Four stroke outboards are not the end of the world, and being lighter is not a bad thing either.
__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:37   #30
Registered User
 
ranger42c's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maryland, USA
Boat: 42' Sportfish
Posts: 2,337
Re: Does Customs Check Engines When Coming Into USA Waters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholastanguma View Post
Yes--I've become enamored. Can't fall in love with a mere material thing like a boat, but you know...so close!

Well, there ya go. That happens.

Are you thinking long-distance motoring? If not, electric?

-Chris
__________________

__________________
Selby Bay, South River, Chesapeake Bay, USA.
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
customs, engine, water

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Walkers Cay customs check in dtstines Destinations 2 10-05-2016 06:58
Bahamas Customs Check In hover2sail General Sailing Forum 33 02-02-2016 11:35
how to check a cable coming into computer laforge24 Navigation 4 12-05-2014 10:23
Bimini - Customs Check In JeffGIP45 Atlantic & the Caribbean 5 10-03-2012 11:40
Spain Customs Do Not Require You to 'Check-in' ? Ram General Sailing Forum 1 10-06-2006 00:21


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:39.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.