Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 20:48   #286

Boat: Oyster 45
Re: Does constant anchoring wear you down?

Stern too anchoring where you lay out the anchor and tie to the dock is usually pretty secure and you are hemmed in between other boats.
The fun comes when you want to leave. There is a cats cradle of anchor chains laid over each other.
If when you use this method and leave you pull up another boats anchor is it your responsibility to try and re set it or do you just leave blaming him for anchoring over you?
Is there also a easy way to undo tangled anchors or get another chain off yours if you want to leave. (forget bolt croppers)
Old 12-10-2013, 21:07   #287

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
We need some help redirecting this thread because it really is a good subject. Anyone???

I'll give you another subject that wears me down is being a tour director in addition to the mechanic, captain, cook, sanitary waste engineer jobs I have. You would think that guests or family would spend a few hours reading about where your going but 95% of mine don't. I still am amazed about motoring past the Costa Concordia and explaining to my good friend what happened. He had no clue about the catastrophe.
It is not just guests with a lack of interest in history, but even the locals! Here in Greece it seems that the teaching of Greek history ends at 146 BC LOL and most locals I have encountered seem to know little or nothing of their island's past beyond the previous century!

I have been thinking about the pros and cons of living at anchor since this thread was started. I really can't think of any drawbacks. In time, most of them simply become advantages. eg Launching the dinghy and then dragging it ashore every time I want a walk is great exercise (no need to pay for gym membership ).

I think the key to successful anchoring is simply having good equipment and knowing how to use it.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 21:10   #288
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

No, I'm not talking about Med mooring. If you haven't started to practice tying off to land, a rock, tree, or , well that's it, you should start.

The first picture is on Vis in Croatia. We only had one line ashore. The second is Mljet and we had two. The third I threw in brag. My wife and daughter on Shipwreck Beach, Zakinthos, with Georgio Armani in the background.

We only did it once last year but many times this year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stern2.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	438.7 KB
ID:	68583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stern1.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	428.0 KB
ID:	68584  

Name:	Stern3.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	68585  
Old 12-10-2013, 22:11   #289

Boat: Lagoon 440

This wears some down BUT with a drink in hand as evening falls it's great entertainment!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN7886.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	427.1 KB
ID:	68587  
Old 12-10-2013, 22:24   #290

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
This wears some down BUT with a drink in hand as evening falls it's great entertainment!!!
That's not anchoring LOL, that's Med mooring at its worst (or for the observers at its best ).

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 22:40   #291

In an octopuses garden for two....

We were anchored in the company of 'Seaworthy Lass' in a bay on Tilos and found we each shared an octopus beneath our anchors, now i can understand an octopus taking up residence beneath the Lassie's anchor as there's a fair chance of Mr Octopus not being disturbed for a 100 nights or so but we move a lot so were very surprised to see them set up their gardens!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN7688.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	405.8 KB
ID:	68588  
Old 13-10-2013, 00:07   #292

Boat: Catalina 30

Looks like a good way to lose a toe.
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 00:31   #293
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

whenever I tie a line ashore I always think of the forces applied to the main anchor and imagine the additional leverage applied by a side wind. I guess it could be around 3 times the force to normal anchoring with a decent wind on the beam. It is great for day stops and settled weather, but usually overnight I try let the stern line off, especially if the weather is a bit sus. Also if you are to drag when anchored normaly you can probbaly drag 50m before you are in shallow water, but tied ashore is more like 10m often. Not much time to reset the anchor. Some places swinging at anchor isn't an option
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 02:05   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
whenever I tie a line ashore I always think of the forces applied to the main anchor and imagine the additional leverage applied by a side wind. I guess it could be around 3 times the force to normal anchoring with a decent wind on the beam. It is great for day stops and settled weather, but usually overnight I try let the stern line off, especially if the weather is a bit sus. Also if you are to drag when anchored normaly you can probbaly drag 50m before you are in shallow water, but tied ashore is more like 10m often. Not much time to reset the anchor. Some places swinging at anchor isn't an option
Cruising both Croatia and Greece we were able to hang off anchor probably 95% of the time, here in Turkey with the very high numbers of Gulets i reckon it would be 50/50.

When tied ashore by stern line i feel vulnerable to the extent that a knife is by the line. Scope increases greatly BUT here the water drops off very deep within 50 metres of the shoreline. Tying to trees is illegal with fines handed out daily. There are metal pieces cast into rough concrete footings done by Gulet owners.

Noelex's/Seaworthy's bedside GPS is the go, nothing fancy, anchor alarm set on it has to be a good option.

Where are you now Monte?
Old 13-10-2013, 02:41   #295
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Just don't anchor like that near me.......or 99.9% of anyone else at anchor for that matter. Proper scope and ground tackle will preventing of the "anchor let go" problems.
exactly how would that have stopped me from fouling my anchor in the tide vs wind gust scenario? Sometimes lieing to two anchors can be pretty annoying I do admit it has its problems. There are times Ive been Sideways to a strong current again with the wind battling tide for control. After all the gales and wild storms I have anchored through lieing to one anchor It was an eyeopener for me fouling the delta. I never did the stern anchor thing with two anchors though. Always two from the bow. If two anchor rodes are going to end up twisted I dont want it to be under the boat or worse yet involve the keel which ive seen happen on a boat with fin keel.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 03:06   #296
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

[QUOTE=highseas;1362176]My friend ,a novice boater,did exactly this.He hooked up hyd. lines backwards.Then to top it off,he left dock and floored it (30ft sailboat).got 100 ft., turned to avoid boats at dock.Guess what happened.CRUNCH![/QUOTE

roflmao I know someone who hooked his cable steering up incorrectly and had reverse steering.For some reason he kept it that way for quite a while.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 04:01   #297

Laying two anchors has whiskers on it, i can without effort tangle a deck hose i'd hate to think of the disaster awaiting me with two anchors out.

Far better to have a good anchor with good ground tackle and set it GOOD!

The OP's question is simply answered by saying the destinations are worth the effort, you have good nights and you have bad.

Cheers
Old 13-10-2013, 16:20   #298
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Have just deleted several posts, including one of my own, as being off topic, because we had just got the thread back on topic, ie, anchoring. Going back over rehashed stuff does nobody any good and you cannot change opinions now so let's allow this thread to get back to it's origin, please.

Coops.
Old 13-10-2013, 16:23   #299
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Have just deleted several posts, including one of my own, as being off topic, because we had just got the thread back on topic, ie, anchoring. Going back over rehashed stuff does nobody any good and you cannot change opinions now so let's allow this thread to get back to it's origin, please.

Coops.

Thank you.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 20:43   #300

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post

Coops.
Worn down.

Does constant anchoring wear you down?

In my view whilst I am not currently cruising it will relate to your confidence in and experiences with your particular gear selected for your cruising grounds.

I consider anchor gear amongst if not the most important item of safety equipment on a vessel. Not something to short change and skimp on.
Naturally if your are not confident with anchoring it will contribute to wearing you down.

It's not just your anchor selection, amount and choice of rode, but also and capacity of reliability of anchor winch, snubbers and backups all subjects of hotly contested threads here.

If anchoring is not an easy trouble free pleasurable experience for you its either concern for the adequacy and reliability of you system or not yet adequate experience anchoring and that's something that you need more time cruising to reach the point you are confident with it.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring