Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 17:19   #226
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Does constant anchoring wear you down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Bashing RAKU seems to be popular sport, and I dont often agree with her, but, ignoring wind and propwalk, put your boat in reverse and see which way your boat turns. Put the tiller to port and the boat turns to port. Sure the stern moves a bit to stb, but the damn boat turns to port. Bash away._____Grant.

You know why you don't get bashed when you say those things?

They've already broken every stick, branch and baseball bat within a 50-mile radius on me!

Prop walk is prop walk no matter which way you face on the boat, but dealing with the wind takes care of itself (well, I don't know about in a gale) when you face the stern. You get the stern where it belongs and the rest of the boat has to follow. Once the stern is in the slip, the whole boat *will* be in the slip.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 17:20   #227

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
A haha I thing last time you broke your rudder they may have put it on front to back Either that or replaced a northern hemisphere rudder with one designed for the SOUTHern hemisphere. Hahha south. Too funny
You know............that has got to be it.

It is the only answer that makes sense.

Thanks for clearing it all up.

I know which way the boat goes but was not smart enough to figure out that boat.
Imagine taking it on a delivery.
Old 11-10-2013, 17:24   #228

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
It should be clear that no one has contested your ability to steer a fin keeled boat in reverse with great success. There's no question that you would be able to maneuver well into your slip in reverse. The great difficulty seems to be communicating what you could refer to by many names,....left/right, port/starboard, north/south, etc. Changing the the name will not cure the fact that the more standard way they people describe moving the tiller seems to be the opposite of your description. You're correct! The world will keep spinning, but some will that it spins east and some west by their frame of reference as "to or from". If you or I stand, facing in any direction, at the helm, the boat will behave in the same manner if we both move the tiller in the same direction. You seem to be indentifying this direction differently than most. It's a simple miscommunication that seems to have caused a great confusion.
No shnit.
A$$ backwards is all.

Is the head mounted upside down too?
Old 11-10-2013, 17:29   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbrown View Post
It took me a while to figure out, but I think I understand what Rakuflames is getting at.

Most people are thinking about the boat in terms of absolutes. Which makes sense and is the very reason absolute terms like port (left side of boat facing the bow) exist.

I suspect some posters are understandably thinking that the point of the tiller is the handle. That it faces the bow always. Turned around facing to the stern, the tiller is pointing towards the person steering.
If you think about the tiller in reverse too, that the rudder post is now the front of the tiller, the handle the back and you are pointing it and also the rudder in the direction of travel then everyone is saying the same thing.
And you are looking at stuff A$$ backwards. And teaching (???) at the same time???

Good Grief!!!
Old 11-10-2013, 17:31   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
No, I can't agree with that. No matter where you stand, the rudder will always "point" in the opposite direction of the tiller.

But I do think that this is a specious and senseless argument. A moments trial and error in a boat will show even the novice which way to move the helm to accomplish a turn, whether in forward or reverse, semantics be damned. I agree that when reversing I find it convenient to stand facing aft, whether a wheel or a tiller is in use.

Meanwhile, why don't we move on and rejoin the conversation about the trials of constant anchoring. FWIW, Ann and I have lived mostly at anchor for 27 years now and still like it better than marina living. For us, marinas are places to go when lots of work needs doing or the boat must be left unattended for a while. YMMV.

Cheers,

Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
+1
OH HELL!...............OK

Maybe
Old 11-10-2013, 17:34   #231

Quote:
Bashing RAKU seems to be popular sport, and I dont often agree with her, but, ignoring wind and propwalk, put your boat in reverse and see which way your boat turns. Put the tiller to port and the boat turns to port. Sure the stern moves a bit to stb, but the damn boat turns to port. Bash away._____Grant.
Don't need to. You will bash a boat or a piling by yourself.

Obviously a graduate of the Raku school of sailing. (backwards)
Old 11-10-2013, 17:36   #232
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Agave View Post
Has anyone here heard of setting an anchor alarm on your GPS?? Amazing.

Mine is so quiet it did no good (and I did not sleep well). I had an old hand-held GPS, set the anchor alarm on it, and put it by my head when I went to sleep, and then I slept well. Unfortunately the hand-held died, but I thought it was a great solution. Even if you need 200' in every direction, that's how you have to anchor so other boats won't swing into you, nor you into them. When we sail in a group, I always try to park it on the outer edge of the group.
Old 11-10-2013, 17:37   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post

Sometimes I hang out in the cockpit if its nasty out. Keep a second anchor and rhode available. Guess that's it. If I'm getting blown around I am awake. One thing I haven't figured out is how to stop the hunting that happens especially if tide and wind are in contrast. That kinda motion is unnerving. The boat will sail off fetch up and go 100 degrees the other way trying to find a good stable resistance. And back it goes.
Only been there a couple of times.

It is unnerving.
Old 11-10-2013, 17:38   #234

Boat: Island Packet 35
Ok, I'm entering the lion's den here... I must confess I didn't read the last couple of dozen posts, so maybe someone else has figured this out already. If you have an open cockpit and a tiller that can pivot up and over the rudder stock like this...
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-545137488.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	68516
Then you can point the tiller out the back end of the boat. Think about how that works. Makes steering in reverse a whole different world, doesn't it?
SV Sea Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 17:40   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Therapy, You are missing your moment. Obviously the tiller represents a penis. It won't matter what you do with the thing or which way it is pushed. It won't perform the way you hope unless you are experienced and have played with it. The rudder represents desire and frustration. The damn thing is pushed over as hard as it can be but were not going where we want. This direction is not beneficial to us as a couple. Why can't you see that I have pushed you this far to the stops. I want some response. Keep up or give up the couch. Hope this doesn't cause you to cancel the 3:45 appointment.
My day is made.

That is the funniest thing I have seen/heard/read in weeks.

Thanks.

Good night.
Old 11-10-2013, 17:47   #236

As I said before, I only sometimes agree with RAKU, but for all of the bashers out there, just put your boat in reverse at a knot or two, alongside some nasty old commercial dock and push the tiller towards the dock. You will quickly learn that moving the tiller to (one side or the other) does not magicaly move the boat away from that side. It more quickly moves the bow towards the side that you moved the tiller towards. If anyone wants to risk their paint job, they should try it. Having spent somewhere between 2000, and 3000 nights on the hook, i am comfortable with this argument.. Got to love CF. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 17:54   #237
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Aw come on Raku, others have indicated that they are willing to move onward. Could you please join us in getting over this semantic kerfuffle and get back to the thread subject, or at least somewhere near it?

Those of us who have successfully lived at anchor for long times are trying to help the OP understand the options available... something that every real cruiser must understand if they are to enjoy their lifestyle.

Cheers,

Jim

You know what, Jim? That's exactly what should have happened. I make my post, people think about it, decide whether they like or not, and decide to NOT flail all the skin off my body, or make up things I didn't say, and then get snarky and sarcastic but call it "teaching."

That would be wonderful. It's not in my nature to sit here while someone just MAKES UP things like "I said 'left' and 'right,'" or, the students didn't know port and starboard, etc. I doubt I would be who I am in other ways if I just caved and said, "You're right. It doesn't work, I used left and right, I can't keep port and starboard straight so how would I expect students to, or any other crazy thing someone decides to make up and then act as if I were the one who said it.

It would be wonderful to be cut some slack for a slip of the tongue.

Can you really imagine a 67 year old woman who would have learned to sail at 62, then "got a bigger boat" as the movie says -- and moved aboard it -- took it out single-handed over and over, or with others as crew -- can you imagine such a woman just sitting back while people make up things that make her look completely ignorant about sailing? To sit silently while people say she's a "danger to others?"

'Cuz that's what was said in the other thread -- because I got out of a bigger ship's path in a timely way with a clear and obvious course change that made me a danger to others and the Coast Guard should ticket me for not follwoing the COLREGS.

I'm getting the blame here, Jim, but I'm not the one sitting around, saying "I know! We'll say that she made an unexpected course change at the last moment, leaving the captain of the bigger boat clueless about what was going on." "I know, we'll say she says the rudder does something different if you turn around." (HUH?) Then we'll get sarcastic and insulting, but call it "teaching." Or my favorite, that a sailboat can't get out of a freighter's way and its *only* choice is to stay there in its path, even though we KNOW they don't have brakes any more than we do. I must have been in 50 collisons with freighters and hundreds with other pleasure boaters so far. You'd think I'd have made the news by now "Silve-haired lady sailor a terror on the waters! Details at ten ..." I'm surprised my boat still floats after all those collisions!

What a fun game. That's what's going on, Jim.
Old 11-10-2013, 18:01   #238

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
"
Originally Posted by Dockhead
How a tiller works. Pay close attention everyone -- this is really complicated:

Attachment 68467

OK, so which way is North? "

Note the sarcasm. They've actually done research on this -- the worst teachers use sarcasm to make their points. Here's one source for those who might be interested: Sarcasm Is a Useful Teaching Tool--NOT | THE CENTER FOR STRENGTHENING THE TEACHING PROFESSION
Sorry, the phrase "OK, so which way is North?" was not written by me. I never use sarcasm when teaching anything.

Let's cut through all this absurd nonsense and look at the drawing. Forget port and starboard, since that seems to confuse some people. Looking at the drawing where the stern is at the top of the page, the tiller is turned towards the left side of the page, and the rudder is pointed towards the right side of the page -- which way will the boat go in reverse? Towards the left side of the page? Or towards the right side of the page? And with this the whole ridiculous puzzle will be solved. Answers?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 18:01   #239
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Yes, of course it will! Unless you actually try it and get your head out of your ... vocabulary ... you'll never get it. Not my problem. I'm sure you don't need any help backing your boat into the slip, and you're having so much fun this way. No matter how much I explain it you will deliberately misinterpret it, so I'm not going to bother.

but really, if the slip is on the south side of the fairway, and you're backing up and facing the stern, and you push the tiller to the south, the boat will turn to the south and back right up into the slip. I think using NSEW is the best way to explain this -- to an open mind, anyway. The new students on the boat with us Sunday didn't stand around puffing themselves up because they understand port and starboard. They backed the boat up, and pushed the tiller to the south, and the stern of the boat turned south and right into the slip.

That's actually what mattered to them -- not a three day snit because someone didn't use "port and starboard," but getting the boat into the slip safely.

AAAAAAHHHHHHHH. YYYYYYAAAAAAA. IIIEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frank? You came all the way over here for this? Wow.
Thanks man. Do you think you helped any?

Absolutely un-***k#ng believable.

And an instructor? No ***k#ng way.

Don't you have to have some sort of certification before you can be an instructor?

So now we're adding the word "instructor?" We were just teaching a couple of people how to handle the boat they're going to be sailing!!

@@
Old 11-10-2013, 18:04   #240

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
As I said before, I only sometimes agree with RAKU, but for all of the bashers out there, just put your boat in reverse at a knot or two, alongside some nasty old commercial dock and push the tiller towards the dock. You will quickly learn that moving the tiller to (one side or the other) does not magicaly move the boat away from that side. It more quickly moves the bow towards the side that you moved the tiller towards. If anyone wants to risk their paint job, they should try it. Having spent somewhere between 2000, and 3000 nights on the hook, i am comfortable with this argument.. Got to love CF. ____Grant.
Correct! Tiller towards the dock in reverse, and bow will smash into the dock, just as you say. But the stern moves away from the dock, contrary to what some have said.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring