Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 21:35   #151
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: Does constant anchoring wear you down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Coops,

just accept you will never have the last word unless you close this thread.

Oh I do, but one can only try.

Coops.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:39   #152
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
So..... does constant bickering wear you down? Seems not.

Some people see a flicker and get out the gasoline can.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:48   #153
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Coops,

just accept you will never have the last word unless you close this thread.

It seems that you did not join this thread to discuss something about sailing. Is that possible????
Old 11-10-2013, 03:00   #154

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
It seems that you did not join this thread to discuss something about sailing. Is that possible????
Some of us have had to join in this thread to correct quite serious errors in your posts which a beginner may not appreciate.

As a teacher, I am sure you won't mind being corrected so your posts are accurate.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:02   #155

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Before this thread deteriorates further I would just like to make this clear for any beginners if they are still confused by some of the posts here:

When reversing, moving the tiller to port or rotating the top half of the wheel to starboard will move the boat more to STARBOARD , not port.

The wheel does NOT "steer like a tiller" when reversing .

Of course any prop walk, wind and current may also simultaneously affect the movement of the boat .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:26   #156
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You will be much better off, and less trouble to other nearby boaters if you forget about using a stern anchor or two and just get one oversized new generation anchor for the bow.

my paypal donate button is on my blog.
that is if anyone wants to buy me a new anchor
but for this year i have a 45# QCR, and no more money for upgrades.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:27   #157

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Before this thread deteriorates further I would just like to make this clear for any beginners if they are still confused by some of the posts here:

When reversing, moving the tiller to port or rotating the top half of the wheel to starboard will move the boat more to STARBOARD , not port.

The wheel does NOT "steer like a tiller" when reversing .

Of course any prop walk, wind and current may also simultaneously affect the movement of the boat .
Exactly so.

It's hard for to imagine how anyone could be confused by this, but the rudder does not magically jump around to the other side when reversing, just because it is attached to a tiller.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:42   #158

Boat: Valiant 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post

my paypal donate button is on my blog.
that is if anyone wants to buy me a new anchor
but for this year i have a 45# QCR, and no more money for upgrades.
There may be a lesson here. Aside from keeping the ocean outside the boat a good anchor system is arguably second on the list of things that have to work before leaving the dock or mooring. IMHO proper working ground tackle is more important than a running engine, refrigeration, gps nav, etc. Our boat had a 45lb CQR as the main anchor when we purchased and it failed to hold about 25% of the time. We have chartered other boats with the same setup and had similar results. I could not sleep with that anchor so had to change it. The advice you have received is exactly right based on our experience. Proper ground tackle plus the knowledge to set it properly is very near the top of the list when refitting.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:52   #159
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
There may be a lesson here. Aside from keeping the ocean outside the boat a good anchor system is arguably second on the list of things that have to work before leaving the dock or mooring. IMHO proper working ground tackle is more important than a running engine, refrigeration, gps nav, etc. Our boat had a 45lb CQR as the main anchor when we purchased and it failed to hold about 25% of the time. We have chartered other boats with the same setup and had similar results. I could not sleep with that anchor so had to change it. The advice you have received is exactly right based on our experience. Proper ground tackle plus the knowledge to set it properly is very near the top of the list when refitting.
i did upgrade it. the boat came with a 35# QCR. i also have 150' of chain, and 200' rode. for next winter i plan to build a 105#+ ronca.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:01   #160
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
It's been many years, so I don't remember the exact model. Must have been 40 pounds or so. It was a genuine, forged one, and I do remember it cost a fortune. I had 200 feet of 3/8 chain and used a lot of scope - CQR hopeless on less than 6:1, and better more.

Getting rid of that anchor was one of the happiest days in my sailing life. Many sailors have similar stories.
I agree, my original CQR is in the back of the garage, long forgotten and good riddance.

Ive always slept lightly and even more so on anchor. Doesn't bother me. Min thing that brings me into marinas, is SWMBO like wander around old towns and "mooching", So Ive always mixed both marinas and anchoring , compromise keeps everyone smiling.

Dave
Old 11-10-2013, 04:04   #161

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Exactly so.

It's hard for to imagine how anyone could be confused by this, but the rudder does not magically jump around to the other side when reversing, just because it is attached to a tiller.
Unless you are fitting hydraulic wheel steering for the first time and you didn't mark the hoses so you have a 50/50% chance of getting it right, or wrong. Amusing at first until you see the mess hydraulic fluid leaks make swopping the hoses over.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:16   #162
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Some of us have had to join in this thread to correct quite serious errors in your posts which a beginner may not appreciate.

As a teacher, I am sure you won't mind being corrected so your posts are accurate.

Pete

It would help so much more if they actually quoted what they were correcting. I did say prop wash instead of prop walk. I will never be a perfect poster (odds are you won't be either, nor anyone else here). On the other hand, the person knew exactly what I meant. Anyone who didn't would say "What's prop wash?"

The fact is that if you turn around and face the stern of the boat, the sensation on the wheel is of turning it in a different direction. With a tiller that is even more pronounced. Except to allow for things like prop WALK and current, you now push the tiller in the direction you want to go. Since you're facing the stern because it will enter the slip (or hit someone else's boat) first, the bow will follow along. And since I repeated over and over to PRACTICE before trying it in a marina, anyone would have sorted it out quite quickly. No, it was just another chance for someone who should be a leader here to jump me. People can nit-pick, or they can just decide for themselves whether or not they want to try it. They can be snide, sarcastic and condescending, or just neutral, which is what most people would expect from strangers.

The whole point of turning around is to ignore the bow and pay atttention to what is temporarily the business end of the boat.

Once you have a feel for it, it is a great way to back a boat into a slip (apparently they call them "pens" in Australia?)

I think most people would prefer to have accurate information out there. Unfortunately, some people carry a grudge and just can't curb their enthusiasm for that grudge. It's a shame, but this place isn't nearly as warm and fuzzy as some think it is.

I never did figure out what the guy meant when he suggested that my wheel could turn in one direction but not another, but it wasn't worth trying to pick apart. That's a game some here enjoy, unfortunately.

I've done these things. I submit that people here love to get alarmed, sometimes without trying something new first.

And yes, I got that I said rudder when I should have said tiller once. The rudder doesn't suddenly act differently of course, and sailors can't steer directly with the rudder, and I think the critic knew exactly what I meant but jumped up and down in spiked shoes with glee instead.

Someone else got the track settings for sail twist backwards in another post, but no one bitched and moaned. They simply pointed it out. Clearly that kind of courtesy here is a choice, which is why it's childish.

If you're facing the stern, and you push the tiller to starboard, the boat is going to move in the direction you pushed the tiller. It is in fact an excellent way to back up into a tricky slip, for instance where I live -- the river current can make it a real beyotch to back into the slip. It's markedly easier for some people to back up while accounting for current and prop walk if they are facing the same direction the boat is moving in.

But something is always "backwards." Do this, and reverse will look like forward. Of course it *acts* like forward, and if you instinctively "put the boat into reverse" to control her speed, it will work. But the boat won't be as responsive in reverse, and it won't go as fast. Since you're turned around to deal with responsiveness and don't want to come into the slip any faster than you want to hit the dock anyway, it doesn't really matter.

But it does drive some other sailors crazy to see it.

My stand here is to stand up to the nonsense. I will probably never see the day whenb it changes, so all I can do is shine a light on it.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:38   #163
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
If you're facing the stern, and you push the tiller to starboard, the boat is going to move in the direction you pushed the tiller.
Oh no, not again. It will not do so. Face backwards and push the tiller to starboard and the stern of the boat will go to port.

Coops.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:40   #164

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
If you're facing the stern, and you push the tiller to starboard, the boat is going to move in the direction you pushed the tiller.
Rakuflames please quit posting nonsense.

Regardless of which way you are facing, if you push the tiller to starboard in reverse, the boat is going to move PORT (in the absence of other influences such as current, wind and prop walk).

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:41   #165

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
In a spirit of sincere helpfulness, Raku, people have been trying to tell you that this is not so.

If you are reversing and face the stern, and you push the tiller to starboard (your left hand), the boat will go to port (your right hand).

It will move in the opposite direction from the direction you pushed the tiller. If you would listen and think about it, instead of firing off hostile diatribes, you would surely see this yourself -- it's elementary. None of this squabbling is necessary.

Going beyond that really useless discussion, I would suggest that all this business about facing this way or that way is not really helpful to beginners. People new to boat handling should, in my humble opinion, try to firmly grasp first of all which direction the rudder will go when you push the tiller or turn the wheel in this or that direction. In my experience, most people get it quite quickly, and once they really get it, they don't even notice which direction they're facing. If one has to be facing one way or the other, I suggest that one is not yet sufficiently oriented.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring