Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2015, 17:40   #1

Boat: Freedom 30
Does anyone sail the Albermarle?

Anyone out there sail the Albemarle sound, on the east coast? Just wondering how it compared to the Pamlico.
Boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 20:28   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 510
Re: Does anyone sail the Albermarle?

I can't compare to Pamlico sound, but I have sailed Albemarle Sound a few times. My father and a friend of his both had houses built in Hertford, just west of Harvey Point. That's their retirement plan. My most recent sail was when we moved my dad's boat down there for good in September. Motored the whole way down from Long Island, Albemarle was the first chance to sail that whole weekend. This was the complete opposite to when we brought his friends boat down. We were in that same storm that had a few fatalities in a rally back in 2011 or 12 (don't remember). I find the sailing good, and we'll go out when others say it's too rough, but we're used to sailing on the ocean. We get emails from the yacht club when there is a small craft warning, seas 2 to 3 feet, gust to 30 mph... Sounds like a great sail! They have a pretty active sailing group, with races in the spring and fall, some people do sail on nice days in the winter. In the summer it is a little too hot and still. The whole sound is pretty much 20 foot deep, so you can practically sail in any direction. So far from what I've seen, it can get really windy, but I have not seen any of the treacherous seas that I always read about in ICW guides. But again, I personally don't have too much experience on the sound, but my father and his friend have, and they say the same.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
CaptNemoO2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail