Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2016, 10:17   #31

Boat: Hudson Force 50; 57' overall
Re: Dodger? Yes or No

I vote yes for the dodger as well as the full enclosure! For those expressing issues with visibility, ours is high enough so that we don't duck into the companionway and the three front panes are of Makrolon which is a thin polycarbonate and is optically clear. The center panel opens and folds under when we want the breezes to blow through. We'd never dream of a cruising boat without it.
RABenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 10:21   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Yeah, I've got one of those windows in my Bimini so that you can see the main, I never uncover it, next Bimini won't have one, waste of money.
I do like very much the idea of being able to have isenglass sides though, that roll up, it's not always Summer.
We too when not in a Marina, live in the cockpit, when we were boat shopping, I heard often the advice of the smaller the cockpit, the better.
Well I don't believe that at all, it needs to be at least big enough to sleep comfortably I have learned.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 10:32   #33

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Dodger? Yes or No

My dodger is the same height as the Bimini and I have a rollup centerpiece that allows wind in when hot. I can also allow circulation by zipping it partially open and it acts as a scoop on each side but keeps water out in spray. I Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1469467846.140937.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	128373Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1469467909.409911.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	128374have removeable side and rear enclosure panels that allow them to zip open to provide airflow when needed. It adds two months to our sailing season on Kentucky Lake and we kept it in during our 6 month cruise from Kentucky Lake to Punta Gorda Florida in the fall/winter of 2013/14. We have two clear stratiglass panels in the connector piece that allows me to see the mainsail for trimming.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 10:43   #34

Why would anyone on the "Wet Coast" sail without a dodger? D'ye only sail when the sun shines? Have ye never had to come home through the rain to meet a deadline? Have ye never felt the exhilaration of pounding to weather rail down with spume flying in all directions?

No cruising boat looks fully found without a dodger. Fit the dodger so it folds down.

TrentePieds came to us with a bimini. I ask you - a BIMINI on the Wet Coast!?!?

Well, that monstrosity came down in a hurry! Nuff material in it to make a luvverly dodger. Picked up the commercial strength sewing machine that'll enable me to do the conversion over the winter. Set me back a whole hunnert'n'twennyfive bux. :-)

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 10:46   #35

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

The farther north you go, or the farther south, the more you will appreciate a good dodger, esp on night watches.

We upgraded to a hard dodger which allowed us to as a boom rest, something every sailboat would benefit from and few actually come with any more....
SVTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 11:02   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Greg, I appreciate your POV. I think we also have to recognize that each of us sails in different waters. Blocking airflow in, say The Chesapeake, would be a bear, I understand. In that case, one could get a dodger that had easily rolled up forward 'glass. But in SF Bay, a dodger is a necessity, really. The water is cold, and regardless of how "dry" one's boat may be, when beating some water will and does come up over the bow into the cockpit. Getting a 55 degree water bath, even if you're in a T shirt and shorts, can be disconcerting.

I also agree with the poster who mentioned keeping hatchboards out even when it rains. That's a really good reason to enjoy dodgers.

As for safety, the side handrails on my dodger are the SAFEST place to be on my side decks.

Point being, we all have our reasons, but those are/should be/most likely are based on where and how we sail.

Your boat, your choice.
Like I said Stu, I really get why people like them. I personally don't. If it's cold I have weather gear">foul weather gear to keep me dry, but the restricted air flow is something I really hate. In my eyes it's all personal preference though, which is heavily dependent on the location.

In the pacific NW where temperatures are low I would be far more likely to want one than on the Gulf Coast where even our winters are pretty mild. From March-October our big issue is overheating and anything that adds to that is a problem. Biminie's however are absolutely necessary to provide shade, something that's far more rare in the NW.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 11:11   #37

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

The Tashiba 31 is a beautiful boat. I can certainly see why you are concerned with the aesthetics of the dodger. You have some complications to work around in your dodger design. Your cockpit is small, good for a sea boat. And a double ender so not much with aft. Your mainsail traveler is right at the aft end of the spray hood with little room at the forward end of the companionway sliding hatch. But a good canvas shop should be able to design a workable dodger. If you can get the angle of the front edge of the dodger to be the same as the angle of the front edge of your cabin trunk it may help to look like it belongs there.

I find so much advantage to my dodger and Bimini (as noted by everyone above) that I would certainly advise you to design a workable set up. I think you can have one that enhances your beautiful boat.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 11:16   #38

You got the wrong dodger design for your boat. Should provide headroom, ability to see through while at helm, fold up windows, and solid stainless frames to hold onto. Often folks mess up on the dodger designs by going to an upholstery instead of a naval designer.
Comes into its own when bashing to weather, inclement weather, etc. Also if you redo it, be sure to get a back panel which can be used to seal off the area in cold weather to keep the cabin dry and warm.
Not sure "looks" are the prime criteria when outfitting a boat. Friend ripped out their wind vane">aries wind vane because they did not like its looks. Dumb, real dumb. Function over form.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 11:18   #39

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

The Tashiba's mainsheet arrangement forces dodger placement to hinder using the companionway.

Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 11:28   #40

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Sure, you can sail without a dodger. If looking good is that important, OK. If the benefits so not outweigh the negatives, go for it. It is up to you, not anyone else on this forum or anywhere, except maybe others on you vessel. It is obvious that you do not mind being thought of as strange and inexperienced, no matter if such statements are true or untrue. The sea is one of the few places where we can, for the most part, be ourselves without exterior human pressure.
Old 25-07-2016, 11:31   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
The Tashiba's mainsheet arrangement forces dodger placement to hinder using the companionway.

How does that interfere with companionway?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 11:44   #42

Just raise the main boom to allow a taller dodger.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 11:46   #43

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

The slope of the windshield, beginning right at the very short hatch opening, clearly interferes with entry and egress.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 12:10   #44

Boat: a sailing boat

If you think about the looks, you apparently need no dodger.

Fold down, remove, keep in the garage. See how it works for you.

PS Now look at that bowsprit. If you look well and long enough, she would look better without that bowsprit too!

;-)

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 12:23   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
The slope of the windshield, beginning right at the very short hatch opening, clearly interferes with entry and egress.
Since the safest way to go up and own stair is facing them, I am not so sure.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodger