Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2011, 08:50   #1

Boat: Santana 2023 - Impulsive II
Dock Woes

so basically back in april, the condos that line my marina were having new bulkheads installed. this company looks to be a small mom and pop setup that i think took on a job that was way beyond their limits. its now almost august and they arent anywhere near done. now the real issue here is in the beginning of the summer, mulitple boats had to be moved in my marina so these guys could get their barge in while they worked which meant they had to find alternate docking space elsewhere. rather than work east to west which would not interfere with boaters, they started west to east because the condos complained it would disrupt their pool area, and no one wanted to see an eyesore of a barge while relaxing. now.. they come back again, telling people they need to move their boats again, so they can finish what should have been done by june. this means, again, people need to find other docking which is very difficult mid summer and very costly. a few people flat out said no we wont/cant/dont feel like it etc etc which were responded with well if your boat is damaged were not liable. adding insult to injury, these guys arent the most organized workers, many many times i have found huge peices of dock/bulkead floating in the marina with nails, screws or rebar like if it falls in the water they dont attempt to get it out. our marina is private for homeowners only, the condos are a seperate property all together and both are saying its the other ones issue, not theirs. the only option i would have is to leave it at a friends house who already has 3 sailboats docked there. if it was a week or two no big deal, but these guys are saying it could be months before they are finished. some people are only here for the summer, if not only the weekends and i am sure they are even more angry than i am given the limited use of their boats as is. anyone have any input on what i can say or do?
Old 20-07-2011, 08:56   #2

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Re: dock woes

Hire an attorney to look into the matter.
Old 20-07-2011, 09:00   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Hire an attorney to look into the matter.
Hire some capital letters so the Attorny can read your problem.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 20-07-2011, 09:07   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Hire some capital letters so the Attorny can read your problem.

and some paragraphs
Old 20-07-2011, 09:14   #5

Boat: private yacht always moving

floating debris plastic by chance,,,,call to coast guard,,,, take photos,,,call police about plastic also,,must be water cops around,,,,how about noise hours,,,,,,injunction to stop work during the summer or the condo must pay for other dock space???
Old 20-07-2011, 09:21   #6

they stop within the noise abatement limits. i think a few people said they would move if compensated but the condo association said, well we didnt pay our owners to keep their boats elsewhere so were certainly not paying you. the debris in the water is what really agitates me, yesterday they were pumping out water i think from behind the old bulkead and this nasty oily brown foam was everywhere. there is only 3 guys working on the whole project and they dont seem to care much about anything, in fact, they leave all the equipment out overnight and just put caution tape around the area they are working on, no orange netting fence. im just assuming its a matter of time before someone trips or goes in the drink after not noticing it.
Old 20-07-2011, 09:25   #7

do not know were you are but that is most likely illegal,,,nest time video tape it and call the police or coast guard,,,,,you can not even put car wash water in the gutter any more in certain parts of florida at a weekend car wash for the church,,,they are just getting away with things,,,
Old 20-07-2011, 09:31   #8

im in NJ and im sure they would frown upon it, given the whole slogan, "save the Barnegat Bay"
Old 20-07-2011, 09:40   #9

are you by the ships graveyard,,,they have been trying to clean that up for years,,this is my first command
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6309_first command_tug2 email copy-1.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	29795  
Old 20-07-2011, 09:50   #10

im actually south. lavallette, toms river area
Old 20-07-2011, 09:54   #11

Here is my take on it. It should not cost you money to relocate your boat so someone can do work on property adjacent to yours. It is irrelavent that they didn't need to compensate others. Discharge into the water is another matter, as is the size and experience of the company and crew doing the work.

They are absolutely liable for the damage that they do to other people's property. I would get a lawyer and have a notice sent to the construction company and condo association in writing.
Old 20-07-2011, 10:01   #12

Shrew,,you hit the nail on the head!!!!!,,
Old 20-07-2011, 10:24   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

With all due respect, learn how to communicate.

Most of us learned back in our school days that sentences start with a capital letter and the run-on sentences are just plain bad form. Paragraphs are used to separate thoughts.

I am sure you have no problem reading other forum users postings; they follow that convention.

I got a headache trying to wade through your posting, and gave up. I have no idea if I could have given good advise or not, as it took too much effort to try and understand it.

My bet is that there are forum members who are much wiser then myself who felt the same way, and you will never hear from them.

Sorry.
Old 20-07-2011, 10:25   #14

thanks alot for all the input, i was thinking the same thing, its not my fault these yahoos didnt plan accordingly and im not about to pay for there effups.
Old 20-07-2011, 10:32   #15

wow, im sorry that i offended so many people. or is that I'm or I am ? its a post on a forum, not a college application.
Closed Thread