Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2011, 00:36   #61

Boat: Baba 35
While under sail, never.

I have some Chuck Tailors that I beat around with when in the islands but they get "slippy" and require some rough sanding to get back into shape.
I bring along a pair of Salomon Meripos for when its really wet out. Even though they are dark shoes they dont leave a mark and make "you feel like spiderman" as someone on CA said.

Im not really into the whole "barefoot" thing when in warm water anyhow. Too many things you can step on that can ruin your trip and too many things on a boat that can warrant the question: "Whats the best product to scrub blood off of Sunbrealla fabric."
Patient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:44   #62
JJB

Boat: Warwick 72 custom
Depends if working or just standing watch, if working I got the kids and myself a pair of Teva Dozer's each. At times, when they are on watch they will choose to wear them, but not really in warmer climates.
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:20   #63

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
sperry sneakers and ankle socks for me....I like the cushion and the traction. I don't care what crew wears as long as it doesn't mark the decks. If you've got seriously ugly feet, I'd prefer you keep them hidden...;-) Only pretty feet are appreciated...
Old 06-02-2011, 13:30   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
But, how do you pick your teeth, while steering, if you have shoes on?

Really, I find my feet to be a handy set of second hands. Obviously when it is inclement I wear shoes or Wellies. And, I've taken to keeping a pair of dive slippers in the cockpit, burnt my feet last summer dropping down onto a too hot dock. But when ever practical I am barefooting.

I've been told that I have nimble toes. I do pick things up with them and use them to hold a line or sometimes even when working on the engine a third hand is, well, handy.

Perchance I am divulging TMI concerning my evolutionary progress, or lack thereof.

I remember this local guy in Belize. His wife (a Westerner) ran a dive resort but he grew up there. His toes were just amazing. The were SOOOO muscular. They fairly rippled with taught mussels. There was no room between his toes because they were that filled out. It seriously made an impression on me. I never saw him wear shoes; dock, beach, or boat.

Also, as a kid I grew up in NJ. One of the things we did to make a living was to "tread" for clams. We used to sew our own shoes out of a heavy canvas material that had a felt finish on one side. You would slide your feet over the mud bottom to feel the lip of the hardshell clam sticking out of the mud. Most fellows would then dunk down under water to pull the clam out with your fingers. My Dad told me others did it just with their toes and described a couple of different methods. I tried them out and found that I could do just as well without getting my head wet.

You would go through 2 to 4 pairs of "shoes" in a day, just wear them out by cutting through on the old shells and stuff. But my feet got real thick callouses. I don't know that I could even get callouses like that anymore.

In short, wearing shoes is like wearing mittens, I do it when appropriate.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 13:50   #65
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Everything on the deck that could hurt my feet has been removed or rendered harmless.
Same here, except for... uhmm.. cleats. And chain plates.. Oh, and line organizers. And fairleads, of course. Plus a half-dozen winches. Oh, and that mast step, with all the little blocks attached. And dorades. And the nine hatches.

But that's it. Really. Unless the kayaks are on deck, of course.

Or a boat hook.
Old 06-02-2011, 15:19   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Same here, except for... uhmm.. cleats. And chain plates.. Oh, and line organizers. And fairleads, of course. Plus a half-dozen winches. Oh, and that mast step, with all the little blocks attached. And dorades. And the nine hatches.

But that's it. Really. Unless the kayaks are on deck, of course.

Or a boat hook.
No cleats to trip on here, or line organizers, or fairleads, or mast step mess, or genoa blocks, or kayaks, or deck winches...nothing. I suppose if one is a real oaf they could hit the shroud bases or low-profile windlass. The turnbuckles are all taped up. A Perfect barefoot environment by design.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 19:47   #67

Rarely, and only under two conditions:
When racing.
When in foul weather.
Quads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 21:31   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
pirate bare feat

on walking barefoot through africa and india,sorry couldnt resist,and have been told when barefoot,mid winter in the uk on the boat,you realy should put some shoes on!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	barefoot 005.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	427.0 KB
ID:	23563  
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 22:43   #69

Boat: Albin Vega
I also belong to the camp of shoeless vagabonds when sailing. Although I must admit that, living in Finland, it can be somewhat of a challenge towards the end of the season, and right at its beginning. That's why I usually stop wearing shoes around mid-May and start wearing them again around September. Sailing with my shoes on just never felt quite right to me..!
Asmodeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:44   #70

Boat: Baba 35, Play Actor
After 7 years in the Caribbean, I don't even own any shoes, let alone wear them. The ones I brought with me rotted in the locker after a few years of no use. One more thing that you don't really need.
Play Actor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:30   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
I think that a reasonable goal in life would be to live barefoot.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:01   #72

Boat: Sabre 36 - Daydream
No Shoes

The attached picture is of my wife's foot on the way to the emergency room. She was not wearing shoes on the boat. The big toe was originally longer than the other toes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8060061.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	367.5 KB
ID:	23567  
coultereng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:10   #73

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
You got me. I actually winced.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:46   #74
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coultereng View Post
The attached picture is of my wife's foot on the way to the emergency room. She was not wearing shoes on the boat. The big toe was originally longer than the other toes.
With what I recall about women - probably not a good time to see if she is ticklish
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:08   #75

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
The first mate NEVER wears shoes. Me, I let temperature dictate comfort level, 50 df is about the break point. Shoe of choice the last eight years has been Keen Newports and wool socks. In fair weather in dink or going to dock, next smaller size Keen Newports alone. I have an old pair of Sperry Topsiders, really green from lack of use. I guess the key is both of my last boats are free of any obstructions and obstacles on deck, unlike many sailboats. That and i'm not a racer, never will be. Kept that to motorcycles when I was young.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing