Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 23:59   #31
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Do You Wear Pants?

Winter: Ski jacket, salopettes and balaclava.
Summer: Swim suit
Spring & Autumn: Depends on the weather!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 00:13   #32

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I wear shorts as much as possible. You see, when I was a baby I had Scarlet Fever. They gave me some gnarly medications, one called Noassitol caused the biggest long term problem.
Shorts are lighter than pants so they stay up better.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 00:29   #33
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
They gave me some gnarly medications, one called Noassitol caused the biggest long term problem.
Shorts are lighter than pants so they stay up better.
Darn - I actually googled this before I realised how funny this is. Hahaha. You're like 5 days late.....
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:46   #34
CLOD

Boat: none

For the mid warm season my goal is:

shorts - mid tigh swim shorts that I cut the liner out of. Protects my bottom and other parts while being loose and cool.
shirt - tee shirt with no ads on it it (I don't like to pay to advertise for others). Maybe a long sleeve shirt if breezely.
Shoes - boat sandals because I get tired of the same toe kicking stuff.
Glasses - a pair of high quality $15 dollar UV polarized
hat - a floppy type to protectect my fave and the low hair spot on the back of my head.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:00   #35

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Nah, I was funny 5 days ago too.

So, to answer the question completely, I usually wear shorts & T shirts, nothing fancy. My head doesn't like hats or hats don't like my head so mostly no on that, Sunlgasses sometimes, and whatever shoes I found on sale for $20.00 recently. I'm refitting a 40 footer, no money to waste so I'm a happy Goodwill patron for now. Later when I'm not going to be dirty all day long every day I'll go crazy and buy some shirts with buttons.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:52   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

sailing i wear cotton boxer shorts,and race week cap
normally i have 3 sets on the go hanging on the lifelines so they get a nice rinse when it rains.......replace them when the crew complain about holes in the arse...or when the elastic goes..........
i save the baggies or dress shorts for going ashore

find a lungi(cotton skirt favoured by muslims) great to wear as well,doubles as a towel ,head wrap etc
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:23   #37

Boat: a sailing boat

Mostly trousers on deck, unless it is very hot - then shorts, bermuda style, not any shorter.

My fave is the typical marine style - windproof / waterproof / breathable. No tie, no moccasins.

Off course - offshore, when it IS very hot, I wear nothing - our cockpit is completely shaded and I just sit on the towel and bless the world.

At the dock, I love the Polynesian style bermudas or pareo - all hibiscus and frangipanier pattern and bright/pastel colors.

Short sleeve shirts preferred to teeshirts or polos - better ventilation and better style.

Shades I love them. Whenever it is very bright I will wear them.

I also have a Zudwester and I do wear it at times.

Most recent item - yellow PCV oilies, 5USD. No style but totally waterproof. Much better than the breathable (???) cr() I got from Henri Loyd at X times the price (scull, bones and thunderbolts).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:25   #38

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

Yes I wear pants. My kilt is too breezy!
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:45   #39

Boat: O'Day 28

Too hot for pants.

I mostly wear nylon shorts and long sleeve white shirts with vents and SPF factor plus floppy hat and "fitover" polarized sunglasses. The nylon is much lighter weight than cotton, no hotter in my estimation, washes/rinses far easier in a bucket than cotton, and dries instantly.

I hate to get somewhere and have a giant load of laundry to deal with like you must with cotton. Found some poly sheets for next trip.

If I have to wear pants, I go with nylon "climbers pants". They're cut for movement and wash as above.

All the above have telltale signs of paint, epoxy, etc, tho I try to keep one of everything paint-free. I'm barefoot on boat usually but do have everyday and "dress-up" flip flops. Crocs are too soft.

I own tees, topsiders, levis, and sweatshirts but these aren't boating wear, in my view: too hard to wash, too long to dry.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:45   #40

Boat: contessa 32

Shorts , if warm enuf;best if loose cargo /deep zipper /velcro pockets/micro fiber /nylon for quick dry/darker color so stains don't show.Shorts should be presentable enough that if a clean (white?) hi quality golf shirt is worn over top I can get by if I need to pretend that I am a person of substance,think: yacht club,harbor police,upscale resturant,etc..
BTW A long sleeve mens dress shirt of the biggest size you can find,white, of course,from a goodwill or salvation army store is the coolest garment you can wear and keep the sun off ,but this is worn only underway as it looks silly otherwise,and will in no time show all manner of stains,think: bilge water,engine oil,blood and cheap rum.
There is a saying in Maine:'if you want to get warm while wearing a cotton shirt,take off the shirt", however I find a large size sweatshirt with hoodie and zipper front (no pullover) to be a very versatible garment for warm weather cruising,think: chilly morns , sundown , easy on/off nap below with hood pulled up,zipper progressively opened as day heats up,grey color. I use 2 weights, very light and very heavy, depending on the season.
But if at all possible shorts!
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:43   #41
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Great posts everyone. Keep em comin. SaltyMonkey is getting incredible fashion options he nevver dreamed of. including shoes! He may go Polynesian pareo this week, or climber pants, but certainly no kilts or chaps plus he wears briefs, no boxers for this monkey!
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:14   #42
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

Depends on where I am sailing. In the tropics I wear an old swimsuit, and a big straw hat. If I am going into town a newer swimsuit, t-shirt, and a big straw hat.

On S.F. Bay I wear anything from long underwear with foulies to shorts, and t-shirt. Then again once while sailing south offshore of Daytona we had to dress like Eskimoes......LOL........i2f
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STANIEL CAY-MEL&JOHN.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	25906   Click image for larger version

Name:	BAHAMAS JOHN AND MEL.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	25907  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mel frigid.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	25908  
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:27   #43

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
On S.F. Bay I wear anything from long underwear with foulies to shorts, and t-shirt. Then again once while sailing south offshore of Daytona we had to dress like Eskimoes......LOL........i2f
Going from San Francisco Bay to the Delta, a day's sail can result in a 40-to-50-degree difference in temperature. Things start getting interesting, wardrobe-wise, around Suisun Bay, about midway.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:28   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Do you wear pants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I'll never understand why some people where T-shirts and shorts in mid-winter central California when the high temperature is well below 50 degrees.
LOL... where I come from (Alberta), that is a heat wave! It got to about 36F yesterday and I saw joggers out with T's and shorts.
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:00   #45

Boat: Catamaran - Eventually

Ah, 50 degrees, I've been dreaming of that all winter. Once it gets into the 60's here in Michigan I'm in shorts, whatever t-shirt is available and sandals. I can't wait.