Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2011, 16:23   #91

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Do You Wear Pants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
For everyone else;

sahara pants at REI.com

For Zee, can't help ya girlfriend, if the new gen high tech synthetics that do a better job of breathing and wicking than cotton bother your skin.

It is really odd.

I have the same problem with synthetics.

I can sit in cotton pants all day. Sweating.

I can sit in a synthetic pair for a couple of hours and then I start getting itchy. Later, little red points. If I were a baby it would be called diaper rash.

Don't know why I never grew out of it.

Maybe 25+ years wearing scrubs most of my waking hours has something to do with it. Nope. I know lots that don't have the problem with the same background. Must be genetic.

Scrubs (cut off) would be fine if they had some decent pockets.
Old 17-07-2011, 16:34   #92
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

therapy!!!!!
there is a company named S.C.R.U.B.S in kali--look online for them--they have cotton cargo pants. long ones, and tops, too .. they are a tad heavy, but comfy for normal wear--a lil too heavy for here.....i used to wear S C R U B S brand exclusively. comfy. great pockets.
those lil red points ar ecalle dprickly heat.no one grows out of them
corn starch is treatment of choice. arent ye a md or somehting in er??? ye should know this stuff, mon..LOL...i was only nursee-- but i had a smart momma and we always challenged her brane with prickly heat, impetigo, wtf of the day kid stuff-- 4 of us to keep her on her toes..LOL
but do look on line for s.c.r.u.b.s. i dont think they have gone out of business yet.... they make tooo many items..they also have great colors.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2011, 16:37   #93

Boat: C&C 35 Mk.II

31 celsius this weekend on eastern Lake Ontario, humidex might be as high as 37 and UV index of 10+.
Survival calls for lots of water, maximum shade, and minimal clothing (consistent with the observed quantity and proximity of other boats)- I guess Canadians don't adapt all that well to heat or high UV. If you try to cool off in the lake, the sunscreen washes off. Hence why I'm trying not to lean back in the chair today...

Oh, right, boating attire.

In spring and fall, any non-fancy trousers, plus a water-shedding windbreaker, are called for around here. Jeans and small boats don't get along too well when it's cold; cotton denim gets wet and stays that way. I have a few pairs of trousers that have some sort of hydrophobic nano-polymer coating; they seem to stay dry longer and dry out faster when wet.

In summer, swim trunks or loose shorts work well for either gender (my TYR lifeguard shorts from about 8 years ago are as not-uncomfortable as a bathing suit can get and are still in near-new condition, definitely worth the small price premium). The fairer sex might add a t-shirt or tank top of some kind. Quick-drying fabrics only; if the temperature goes above 26, the crew WILL be going in the water, and if the wind goes above 12 knots, spray WILL be blown aboard in a head sea.
Old 17-07-2011, 17:11   #94

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Patagonia shorts, the quick drying kind with the back pocket. Nothing is close. Brooks Brothers no iron cotton shirts. Best shirts ever made.

In cold weather I wear REI hiking pants and a goretex windbreaker with a wool turtleneck underneath, plus keens (in warm weather I sail barefoot.)

Years ago I bought fancy Gill foul weather gear and I've never worn it at sea. In fact, one of the reasons I just bought a bigger boat is to have plenty of hanging lockers to store the things I never wear.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2011, 17:29   #95
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

OOoh i likea these REI pantz! I cna use my discount.

Great idea about wearing scrubs though
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2011, 17:50   #96

loli wore scrubs for 30+ yrs--i dont wear em anymore ..LOL... but the s.c.r.u.b.s. brand is awesome.
Old 17-07-2011, 18:06   #97
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

YAYAYAAY!!! S.C.R.U.B.S!!!!

Smart Scrubs | Nursing Scrubs, Medical Scrubs, Uniforms | SmartScrubs.com
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2011, 18:14   #98

yup. smb--wore those since invented and others befor them-- the smart scrubs s.c.r.u.b.s. are comfy. yeah--am still looking for something lighter in weight so i dont die inhtis hot place--is great-- isnt cold!!!!! lol
Old 17-07-2011, 19:24   #99

Boat: private yacht always moving

I prefer to sail like this,,,this way i don't have to change when I walk on the beach
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Man Beach Bikini.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	29699  
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 01:16   #100

Location: New Zealand originally, but now Malaysia & Thailand
Boat: Kendall 32, Daemon

Depends on climate and proximity of other boats. Hot climate, no boats means nothing, hot climate & other boats means shorts, cool climate means jeans and t shirt. If it gets colder than that, I don't want to sail there.
Old 18-07-2011, 12:18   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
didnt find cargo pants in the sahara site i found--was a lot of expensive pretty ladies wear---not many cotton things--i am seeking cotton as i am not able to wear synthetix of any kind....allergies present in hives and toomuch itchiness...i keep finding cargo pants of light NYLON or synthetic material-- isnt gonna work-- sweaty and itchy...... oh well--mebbe i can find material and a mexican lady to sew it.....
Here's a link for you Zee. I searched for cotton clothes first, then sorted from there. No "all organic free range no hormones applied stuff that costs 400% of regular", but plain cotton shorts, etc.

Hope it helps.
Catalina 22 #2133 "ITLDO"
Tomahawk Bay, Portland, OR
rorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 17:00   #102

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
therapy!!!!!
there is a company named S.C.R.U.B.S in kali--look online for them--they have cotton cargo pants. long ones, and tops, too .. they are a tad heavy, but comfy for normal wear--a lil too heavy for here.....i used to wear S C R U B S brand exclusively. comfy. great pockets.
those lil red points ar ecalle dprickly heat.no one grows out of them
corn starch is treatment of choice. arent ye a md or somehting in er??? ye should know this stuff, mon..LOL...i was only nursee-- but i had a smart momma and we always challenged her brane with prickly heat, impetigo, wtf of the day kid stuff-- 4 of us to keep her on her toes..LOL
but do look on line for s.c.r.u.b.s. i dont think they have gone out of business yet.... they make tooo many items..they also have great colors.

I will look at thier cargo pants. Thanks.

I know about corn starch. But it does not last. Vaseline lasts longer but is kinda slippery and greasy and hard to wash out. ick!!

Just another nurse.
OR. CRNFA now.

Looking around.
No shorts made by s.c.r.u.b.s.

Lots of cargo pants but no way to tell how heavy they really are.
Old 18-07-2011, 17:11   #103

therapy --i think ye was a md...oh well i goofed-- glad ye can use the s.c.r.u.b.s. folks--i am tired of their wonderful work clothes. your turn now.

i managed pacu for 2 yrs in midway hospital, lost angels during rodney kings playday.. was a gas....at least you make em feel goodder...
loose clothing of cotton and cornstarch and 15 showers daily. ick. dry well and hope no heat comes in. i hated prickly heat-- still do. open up and air out....oops cant do that at work. vaseline keeps heat in... but it feels better until the rash is totally red. then is ouch. goood luck. come here in winter. summer will killye
Old 18-07-2011, 17:32   #104

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Cotton is great for warm climates, but if hypothermia is a possibility, cotton kills. For the cold, you want wool. Wool retains 80% of it's insulating capacity even when wet.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 17:35   #105

wool is great unlless you happen to be allergic. then can killye. i use silk in cold. i try not to be in cold. but when i am, i use silk--is light, dries really fast and keeps ye very very warm.