Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2014, 08:22   #1

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Do You Really Know Your Boat?

No, this is not a journey into time travel with Carlos Castaneda or the New Age spiritualism of L. Ron Hubbard but an honest question aimed at those who really "sail" their boats. Among talented musicians, a quality instrument will eventually reveal its "personality" and "character" after a time. Segovia's Hauser and Ramirez guitars come to mind. Also, among violinists, the difference in sound between a Stradivarius and Guarneri are legendary and attract players of divergent styles. However, there is a similar discovery that some will make about the vessels they sail where a "personality" is revealed--its attitude on a beat, how it dances on a run and its manners when sailing abeam that give it a unique personality that is understood and predictable. It has happened to me with two boats and it took many miles at sea before their personalities were truly revealed. Have any of you had a similar personal experience with your boat and do you recall when it happened? Do you believe it is real or imagined? This is not a question about the differences among varying styles of boats ie: racer/cruiser, double-ender, multi-hull, etc.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:26   #2

Re: Do You Really Know Your Boat?

Did more than my share of beer can racing and I always figured on at least 2 seasons to get to know the boat well enough to win the odd race, there is so much to learn, especially how the boat sails in different conditions.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:51   #3
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
there is a similar discovery that some will make about the vessels they sail where a "personality" is revealed--its attitude on a beat, how it dances on a run and its manners when sailing abeam that give it a unique personality that is understood and predictable. It has happened to me with two boats and it took many miles at sea before their personalities were truly revealed. Have any of you had a similar personal experience with your boat and do you recall when it happened? Do you believe it is real or imagined?
I can't recall a "moment" when an overall "personality" was revealed. But, after 6 years of ownership, the last two, full time cruising 5000 miles, I do really know my boat. I think you have an over active imagination....

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:03   #4

Boat: Wibo 1100 36 ft

Personality of my boat? My boat is male, Italian, his name is Peter and he's a vegetarian.

How do i know?

I once had a lengthy conversation with my boat. It was after I had some sleep that I realized that I had been hallucinating.
Draikhyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:42   #5

Boat: Catalina 30

you're one of those touchy, feely, sensitive types aren't you?
Old 11-10-2014, 10:55   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

I have never noticed.

I think one Bavaria Deck Salon Limited Edition sails just like any other Bavaria Deck Salon Limited Edition.

I think boats have different sailing character (-istic)s when they differ in design. Same design, same character.

Double enders and auld school monos roll downwind and sail slow but comfortably upwind, at a horrible angle ;-)

Modern paper boats sail fine off the wind, but they slam upwind.

I think maybe what you are talking about is getting into tune with the boat you are currently sailing. Yep. This takes some time every time. And we hardly ever live long enough to see the wry face of our own boat twice.

Every person has their character but these characters are not unique but rather much repetitive. Same thing applies to boats. IMHO.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:06   #7

Identical boats inidentical conditions with crew of the same skill level will perform the same. How could they not?

We get to learn our boat's *sweet spots* where she get in her groove... Sadly not often enough!

But having owned my boat for 38 years.. my familiarity with her is less about her performance bout more about her bits and pieces, many of which I've added over the years. I realize that a new skipper would have a lot to learn to *know her* at my level of familiarity.

We had some lovely sails this past week. The weather gods were cooperating.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 13:15   #8

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

A couple old salts that were present on launch day (6 months ago) told me that it would take a year for me to learn how to really sail this boat. At first, I thought they might have been underestimating my abilities but I now believe they were correct. If anything, they overestimated.

I have experienced this phenomenon with an aircraft. I was totally competent to fly the thing after about 10 hours of flight time. But things really started to click after about 800 flight hours and 5 years of stewardship. That old plane wore like a glove.

Noteworthy is that I had the opportunity fly the same plane years after I sold it. Although it was still very familiar, the deep understanding and "oneness" with this machine had been lost.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 13:30   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Do You Really Know Your Boat?

Yeah... she's a BITCH...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 13:47   #10

Boat: Hughes 25 - Tulip

Boatman, damn you're a lucky guy!
sammyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 15:05   #11

Boat: Freedom 32'

No, but I'm trying. Anyone know the mast height of a 1971 Bristol 30'
all answers greatly appreciated.
zengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 15:25   #12

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
No, this is not a journey into time travel with Carlos Castaneda or the New Age spiritualism of L. Ron Hubbard but an honest question aimed at those who really "sail" their boats. Among talented musicians, a quality instrument will eventually reveal its "personality" and "character" after a time. Segovia's Hauser and Ramirez guitars come to mind. Also, among violinists, the difference in sound between a Stradivarius and Guarneri are legendary and attract players of divergent styles. However, there is a similar discovery that some will make about the vessels they sail where a "personality" is revealed--its attitude on a beat, how it dances on a run and its manners when sailing abeam that give it a unique personality that is understood and predictable. It has happened to me with two boats and it took many miles at sea before their personalities were truly revealed. Have any of you had a similar personal experience with your boat and do you recall when it happened? Do you believe it is real or imagined? This is not a question about the differences among varying styles of boats ie: racer/cruiser, double-ender, multi-hull, etc.
Yep. We've been her custodians (considering that one never really owns a boat but merely has temporary custody for a greater or lesser period) for 12 years and by now, after a few days on our boat, particularly on passage, we seem to become "one" with her moods/dispositions. Late at night, for example, she speaks to us with her bow wave. Sometimes she moans a groans to tell us when we're pushing her too hard. Sometimes her rig moans--"Give me wind and I will give you miles!" (She's a French boat, after all, for those of you that know...). Sometimes she sighs at the end of a hard fast run... Yes, we have experienced the Zen of being aboard and, sometimes, the wish that a passage didn't have to end... But. There's always a next time. Until there suddenly isn't.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 19:47   #13

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengirl View Post
No, but I'm trying. Anyone know the mast height of a 1971 Bristol 30'
all answers greatly appreciated.
Nothing a tape measure can't fix.
Old 11-10-2014, 19:57   #14

Boat: Freedom 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Nothing a tape measure can't fix.
I understand but it's little hard to measure it in Ct, when I'm in Tx.
zengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 20:24   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengirl View Post
I understand but it's little hard to measure it in Ct, when I'm in Tx.
Get a longer tape measure.

Seriously, maybe this will help, at least get you in the ball park. This link gives you the rig dimensions.

BRISTOL 30 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

The I is 36.17' which is from deck level at the bow to the top of the forestay. If the bow is about 4' over the water then the masthead would be more or less 40'. That of course is an estimate only and doesn't include antennas and such on top of the mast.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote