Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Do you leave your VHF on at night in an anchorage?
Yes 30 27.78%
No 78 72.22%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2020, 12:35   #31

Boat: Maxi 95, 31ft
Re: Do you leave your VHF on at night in an anchorage?

Always, Always, Always. We never turn it off at anchor.

We don’t want to be in the situation of this boat, which we tried to call to tell them an bergy bit was bearing down on them.

johnjuliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 13:21   #32

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

I used to keep our VHF on pretty much 24/7 as its AIS output was feeding marinetraffic.com, at least wherever we had wifi coverage. The First Mate wasn't crazy about that Coast Guard Distress Relay at 0300 (too far for us to do anything about). Now our AIS transceiver feeds marinetraffic, so the VHF is off overnight, at least with the family aboard. I listen more when it's just me, or me and boating friends.
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 14:33   #33

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjuliano View Post
Always, Always, Always. We never turn it off at anchor.

We don’t want to be in the situation of this boat, which we tried to call to tell them an bergy bit was bearing down on them.

Did you try sounding your horn 5 times in succession? Doing it until the other boat came awake??
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 14:55   #34

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

Not only do we leave our VHF on all the time we're on board but we also leave our Standard Horizon chartplotter on as well because it feeds the VHF with our coordinates. In the event of an emergency, if I press and hold the 'Distress' button, those within signal range will get our exact location. Granted, many times we have been anchored in secure places yet we never turn off the radio and chartplotter when we're aboard. In our opinion, the current draw is justified by the safety benefit.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 17:03   #35

Kept it on in the Dominican Republic when "lions paw" Paul's Boat was boarded I was able to get up put lights on help chase the borders off but it depends in Florida never worried about it once in awhile in the Bahamas
motion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 17:26   #36

Boat: Volkscruiser

How about do you ever turn your VHF on? Surely I cannot be the only day sailor that never turns their VHF on? I could but I doubt I would hear it over my stereo. That problem is only going to get worse now my kids have given me a waterproof Bluetooth speaker for Christmas.
I have a handheld VHF that is close by, so if I have an issue I can call up. But the last time I was in a anchorage I just texted our friends when it looked like they were having problems.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 17:46   #37

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
How about do you ever turn your VHF on? Surely I cannot be the only day sailor that never turns their VHF on? I could but I doubt I would hear it over my stereo. That problem is only going to get worse now my kids have given me a waterproof Bluetooth speaker for Christmas.
I have a handheld VHF that is close by, so if I have an issue I can call up. But the last time I was in a anchorage I just texted our friends when it looked like they were having problems.
Cheers
Well I guess it depends where and when you sail. Not too far from you I've been called multiple times by ships pilots at night while near the Moreton Bay Ship channel.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 01:03   #38

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

we keep ours on when we are at sea

at anchor, if the weather is ok then it's off

but if the weather is bad enough to stand anchor watches, AND if there are other boats nearby, then it's on.

cheers,
chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 04:15   #39

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Funny that, there are two camps: one have their radios on, the other ones... not. Oops, there is a third camp, those who have their radios normally off, but on on when situation demands that.

I actually belong to a fourth group: I leave my radio on, nearly all the time, even when I am not on the boat. Reason for that, is that anyone snooping around, might give my boat a miss when hearing voices. Yes, VHF consumes a few milli-amps, not worth worrying about. Yes, the LCD screen might fail after 8 or 10 years, but by that time one needs to update anyway.

But for the argument of this thread, count me as being in group 3:
- underway, always on
- anchored not in home waters, always on
- anchored in home waters, on most of the time, and certainly when weather is inclement
- in pen/or slip, and me on board, usually on, but I am not getting out of bed to switch it on, or off.
Old 19-01-2020, 06:30   #40

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
Not only do we leave our VHF on all the time we're on board but we also leave our Standard Horizon chartplotter on as well because it feeds the VHF with our coordinates. In the event of an emergency, if I press and hold the 'Distress' button, those within signal range will get our exact location. Granted, many times we have been anchored in secure places yet we never turn off the radio and chartplotter when we're aboard. In our opinion, the current draw is justified by the safety benefit.
I do the same... VHF and chart plotter always on. If chatter becomes an annoyance, I may turn off the VHF. Never the plotter. I've been obliged to abandon my anchorage on a number of occasions in deep darkness and storm conditions where the plotter was a blessing. Additionally, once secure in my anchorage I'll plot a bearing to open water and record this with a grease pencil near my compass.
Seighlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 09:48   #41

Boat: Hunter 33.5

Absolutely! I would feel horrible if an incident occurred nearby and I could have assisted but, couldn't be bothered because I was sleeping through it. We are the first responders when we are on the water. The government, with all its cut backs is not who will show up first when a true emergency occurs.
Turk397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 11:19   #42

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seighlor View Post
I do the same... VHF and chart plotter always on. If chatter becomes an annoyance, I may turn off the VHF. Never the plotter. I've been obliged to abandon my anchorage on a number of occasions in deep darkness and storm conditions where the plotter was a blessing. Additionally, once secure in my anchorage I'll plot a bearing to open water and record this with a grease pencil near my compass.

I like the note by the compass idea.

Old 19-01-2020, 12:28   #43

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

while on sailing trips I keep it on 24\7.....and carry a hand held on my hip if going to shore....
I have been able to assist in draggings and medical emergencys because the VHF was on and I have been able to call for help because I had my hand held with me.........its a life line forsure in the areas where other boater are around
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 17:25   #44

Boat: Rafiki 37

I'm in the camp where it's off most of the time when on the hook, although I do flip it on when faced with weather, or other special circumstances. There is a risk I might miss an urgent call, but where I cruise there is so little VHF traffic that the odds of hearing anything is near zero.
Old 21-01-2020, 15:59   #45

Boat: Cal-40

I keep the volume down some but .... you never know when some might need some help.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, vhf