Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2012, 10:45   #1

Boat: Cal 2-27
Do you know_Ruth & Larry Penn on Quickstep on the Chesapeake, Florida & Bahamas

In the 1980's Bruce Bingham wrote an article in Sailor's Sketchbook (in Sail Magazine) titled "Remembering Sailing Friends". It was about Ruth and Larry Penn on their boat Quickstep, a Chesapeake Bay Bugeye. Larry and Ruth are the Grandparents of my fiance. Larry has passed, but Ruth is now around 89 years young.

I have attached the article, not sure if you will be able to read it due to size, I could send it to you directly if you want.

Basically, Ruth and Larry would have the guest's on their boat sign their tablecloth in pencil. Once that was done, Ruth would sew the signature and notes of the guest with embroidery floss onto the table cloth.

I have only spoken to Ruth a few times about her boat, but now that she knows Melissa and I have a boat, she has sent us the article. I could hear the excitement in her voice when her and I were on the phone a few months ago and she was telling me about her boat.

The water brings great times and a lot of memories.

Ruth is a great person and if you know her or Larry and would like me to pass on a message, or get in touch, let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120818_131027.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	417.7 KB
ID:	45091  
Old 19-08-2012, 09:47   #2

Re: Do you know_Ruth & Larry Penn on Quickstep on the Chesapeake, Florida & Bahamas

anyone?
Old 19-08-2012, 09:55   #3

Re: Do you know_Ruth & Larry Penn on Quickstep on the Chesapeake, Florida & Bahamas

Cool story! probably some well known names on that tablecloth! I zoomed in and could read the article...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 07:21   #4

Cheeckako,

I was hoping someone would know them. It would be great to hear some stories or pass on a message to Ruth who now lives down in Florida. Ruth and Larry ended up living in Crisfield, MD and bringing down from NJ the rest of the family. I met my Fiance while I was in the military visiting my sister in collage. Melissa (finace) and sister were roomies in Salisbury, MD. Not far from Crisfield.

We are going to be taking my boat to Crisfield this year for their annual crab derby and boat docking contest in September.

Tags
Bahamas, florida