Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2014, 20:05   #196

Boat: Tayana 47
Re: Do you keep a Constant Lookout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkleins View Post
If you are getting your current opinion from that statement then I guess I am through here as well. No one can be looking and hearing 100% of the time. We all take breaks, get distracted or do other things related to the boat that are not related to avoiding a collision. If you are asleep or doing something else you increase your risk of collision. If you sleep in short bursts with effective electronic assists, as many single handers do, then you are maintaining just as "proper" a watch as any one else.
Jim
"That statement" is Colreg Rule 5 verbatim as it's published by Homeland Security, and that is where I get my opinion from. Where do you get yours? Do you also have other different Rules of the Road from the Colregs that you go by or is it just this one rule that you don't believe in?
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 20:30   #197

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

With Claudio Campi's study of polyphasic sleeping, comes knowledge of how singlehanders can maximize their rest gained for minimal time spent actually asleep. Now, this is a subject that both doublehanders and singlehanders can benefit from.

I think a specific law restricting singlehanding is totally unnecessary. The present system works pretty well. I cannot think of any accident involving loss of life or boat that was caused by inadequate watch keeping on a small boat. When Jessica Watson and the Chinese Ship collided, the Queensland government did an investigation on the accident, and her portion of the responsibility was something like 17% if I recall correctly. No one hurt, some damage to her boat. The crew on the ship had made worse mistakes, in the opinion of the authorities.

Mr. Jtsailjt, if you're okay with speeding, then you do not care about the letter of the law as much as your posts in this thread suggest.

Ann
Old 20-10-2014, 20:59   #198
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
The present system works pretty well.
That's an amazing conclusion.

Trying to minimize sleep while sailing is like trying to drink as much as you can get away with before driving.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 21:42   #199
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

It is true that single handers, like myself, can not stand watch 24/7, and as such can not meet all colregs requirements. However from an overall safety standpoint there have been far more cases of crewed boat going aground, sinking, etc, then the well prepared single handed boats.

Yes it's against colregs. Colregs just does not address single handing at all. That does not worry me in the least. But then I have some disagreements with ABYC codes too. At the end of the day I do what keeps me safe.

I don't color within the lines very well either...
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 22:01   #200
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolish View Post
Ok, Dockhead. It's pitch black on the open ocean and you can't see anything other than the red and green lights. The ship is 1.5 miles away. atioIt's not responding to your hail, turning or responding in any other way. A minute later you still see red and green, so it's a pretty good guess that the ship is coming right at you - or pretty darned close. You are the stand-on vessel. You say you can't turn left or right because you can't judge what direction the ship is going to turn, and you will still be in the 10 degree range of the bow anyway. So tell me, what is the best solution to this situn?
Hum if it's a commercial ship, it will also have a forward and stern all around white lights showing, Using these and the red/green, it's very easy to get a general heading of the ship and which way to turn to avoid a constant bearing intercept.

LOL, if your seeing both red and green, then one only has to turn 90 degrees away from the ships bow, and get the hell out of the way. The exact direction depending on sea state and wind direction as well as which point the ship is closing from.

I don't play stand on vessel with ships at night without radio contact. That would be foolish.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 00:04   #201

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Its not "all the time", its "At all times" and this surely means daytime, night time, mealtimes, laying ahull, sailing, motoring, in the harbour etc etc.

Proper lookout by a solo sailor also surely means someone who is not too sleep deprived.
Obviously many crews of all sizes may be breaking the rules but good watchkeeping by solo sailors is clearly possible within Colregs.

Some armchair judges are simply mis-interpreting the authors of Colregs to suit their arguments.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 03:16   #202
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post

Are there other parts of the COLREGS you don't feel bound by?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
The idea that you can "technically" break the COLREGS is pretty funny.
Isn't the purpose (and the sole purpose) of the COLREGS is to prevent collision at sea?

If so, then then only time you can in breach of the COLREGS is when a collision occurs. Then fault can be established (in part) by reference to the COLREGS.

Unlike say the road rules where one can be held accountable for say speeding by the mere act of speeding, the COLREGS aren't actually enforced in that manner. Not only aren't they enforced as such, they weren't intended to be (AFAIK).

The skipper (captain / whatever) is the one who decides how the vessel is operated, if a collision occurs, then they are held responsible for failing to comply with the COLREGS; if no collision occurs, then by definition, non-compliance hasn't occurred.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 03:30   #203
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Isn't the purpose (and the sole purpose) of the COLREGS is to prevent collision at sea?

If so, then then only time you can in breach of the COLREGS is when a collision occurs. Then fault can be established (in part) by reference to the COLREGS.

Unlike say the road rules where one can be held accountable for say speeding by the mere act of speeding, the COLREGS aren't actually enforced in that manner. Not only aren't they enforced as such, they weren't intended to be (AFAIK).

The skipper (captain / whatever) is the one who decides how the vessel is operated, if a collision occurs, then they are held responsible for failing to comply with the COLREGS; if no collision occurs, then by definition, non-compliance hasn't occurred.
Mostly correct, but be aware especially of Rule 10, a number of ships and indeed a few yachts have fallen foul of Vessel Traffic Services which monitor the TSS, and have been subjected to heavy fines.

But, in the main, out at sea, a collision is needed before you can be held accountable.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 03:34   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
Mostly correct, but be aware especially of Rule 10, a number of ships and indeed a few yachts have fallen foul of Vessel Traffic Services which monitor the TSS, and have been subjected to heavy fines.

But, in the main, out at sea, a collision is needed before you can be held accountable.
Guess that's better than most of my posts .

Thanks for the heads up re VTS and TSS, never ever been in a TSS but might be one day
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 21-10-2014, 03:37   #205
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Guess that's better than most of my posts .

Thanks for the heads up re VTS and TSS, never ever been in a TSS but might be one day
If you do go in a TSS, dont do what this chap did

Racing yacht went 'wrong way' in Straits of Dover
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 03:49   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
If you do go in a TSS, dont do what this chap did

Racing yacht went 'wrong way' in Straits of Dover
http://www.google.com.au/url?url=htt...Dq9t9a3XT0pKsA

That's me - a couple of points off the stbd bow
Old 21-10-2014, 04:50   #207
cruiser

Boat: Boat less at the moment.

Its not only a discussion on the water...

BBC News: 'More than half' of pilots have slept while flying
Reiziger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 05:36   #208
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
So if it's OK for you and Evans but not some others, who gets to decide where that line should be drawn?
I will phrase your question differently, while maintaining its meaning: Is it OK for someone who has devoted a lot of time and thought to doing a particular thing in a bunch of different ways, to do it in a more demanding style than for others who haven't?

Answer: You bet! But I don't ski down the "expert" slopes, where I could hurt others as well as myself, because I have never put in the time to be a decent skier. It works both ways.

Ann says it very well when she notes that she can't think of a time when a singlehander, through poor watchkeeping, has ever hurt someone else. Me neither. I can, however, remember when speeders have.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 07:32   #209

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

I think what this comes down to is judgement.

When I'm maneuvering around a crowded harbor, I don't take my hands off the wheel or eyes off the surrounding waters for even a minute. When I'm offshore and haven't even seen a radar reflection of another boat in days, it may be 15 minutes or more between visual scans of the horizon. I prefer to be able to keep a watch on duty 24/7 - but even the crew on watch doesn't spend every minute peering through binoculars looking for a distant ship.

Ultimately the responsibility for avoiding collision, as well as averting many other potential mishaps, lies with the ship's master. Ultimately this depends on good judgement. One cannot legislate good judgement.

I haven't seen hard data on it, but I would venture a guess that a well-rested captain & crew will exercise better judgement and travel safer than one which is fatigued from lack of sleep from continuously scanning the horizon for ships that never appear.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 09:53   #210
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Olson 30

There are some very serious rebuttals to Claudio Stampi's technique. It should be studied carefully before a singlehander assumes it is the ultimate solution. You might remember the episode of Seinfeld where Kramer attempts to use it. I wrote in my book:
Dr. Piotr Wozniak has studied polyphasic sleep and does not believe it is possible to perform adequately using these techniques. Another excellent counterview is expressed in a video on YouTube titled “Polyphasic Sleep Experiment,” where the best line is “I can’t tell if I’ve been getting sleep or not. I don’t know. I might be. I’ve got memory gaps. I want some pancakes.”