Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 17:46   #46

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny chaos View Post
One friend had a dream/goal of retiring to his wood working shop.
Another, a pumpkin patch and hay rides.
Another, running a small machine shop.
Another, buying a small tug boat.
They all spent the time and money to get their dreams to reality but at retirement time, they all came to a screeching halt.
It just didn't fit their "dreams."
Their passion was in going to work everyday and having structure and direction.
Sadly enough, I think they lacked someone to tell them what to do.

A new wife?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 17:57   #47

Boat: Silverton 42
I think Kenny Chaos' post # 29 is spot on. There are dreams and there are fantasies. A dream is attainable, but a fantasy isn't (this may just be semantics). I both dream and fantasize - but I expect my boating dreams to come true (working on it) and my fantasies are just wishful thinking. Both are fun. Dreaming is more of envisioning how my goals/plans will play out. Cheers,
Bill
Bill Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 18:14   #48

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
One friend had a dream/goal of retiring to his wood working shop.
Another, a pumpkin patch and hay rides.
Another, running a small machine shop.
Another, buying a small tug boat.
They all spent the time and money to get their dreams to reality but at retirement time, they all came to a screeching halt.
It just didn't fit their "dreams."
Their passion was in going to work everyday and having structure and direction.
Sadly enough, I think they lacked someone to tell them what to do.
The scary thing is you don't know if YOU will be one of them until you take the plunge. Everyone says "not me, I won't be one of them" but then ...
Old 01-02-2011, 18:17   #49

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
The scary thing is you don't know if YOU will be one of them until you take the plunge. Everyone says "not me, I won't be one of them" but then ...

My whole life, people called me a dreamer. I just had different goals, and was never let down, because I wasn't trying to fulfill some fantasy.
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 19:00   #50
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380
A "goal" is a "dream" with a plan for its attainment
Old 02-02-2011, 08:35   #51

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
Welcome to CF Bob and Judy! Which coast of Florida do you consider the forgotten coast?
The Forgotten Coast of Florida lies along the Panhandle and is bounded on the West by Mexico Beach, and on the east by St. Marks. Its known as the Forgotten Coast because it hasen't been significantly developed (yet). Here's a link to a local site (no affiliation) with more info and a map: Apalachicola, St. George Island, Forgotten Coast, Carrabelle, Eastpoint, Florida | Apalachicola Bay Chamber of Commerce. We're in Carrabelle.

To stay on topic, this is the little slice of paradise where we're building our dream.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:00   #52

Boat: Morgan 34 and Watkins 27 astern of me. Hans Christian 38T is our current love
For me, every day is a series of goals. Oftentimes, I plan these out before my head hits the pillow, allowing my dreams to sort out the order and methods. However, while working on these daily goals allows me to envision the dreams I have of loftier goals.
Aqua Vitae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:10   #53
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Even when people have achieved their dream through good goal setting and are cruising they must still set goals.

The cruiser thing: "We've no plans and we're sticking to them" is a recipe for disaster. A boring cruise!

Most folks who are 'out here' have come from a very hard working life to achieve this magic life. From hard working to zero just turns minds to putty, bellies to beer, and relationships to dust.

Our plan of a fast circumnavigation followed by a slow one was our idea. Better or worse its worked (for me). I now have a plan for the next 5 years: 1 year here minding the budget and refitting the boat, then 4 years wandering north and south America, the Med and more Caribbean palm trees. The only date I have is to be in Rio, Brazil for their Olympics - that'll be a cracker!

The advice is set good, strong goals if you want to achieve anything.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:35   #54

Boat: Sold Catalina 250
Therapy Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
A new wife?
Wait a minute what about the dream? I see the boat for sale, did the tug boat get in the way?

I am starting with a Catalina 25, would love to have a boat like yours. No I cannot buy it today . Need more experience and money, I'm working on it.

The only thing that holds you back from your dreams is limited thinking. Dream it, think about it everyday and believe in the dream. I am always surprised in a good way when I make it happen.
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:21   #55

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
The Forgotten Coast of Florida lies along the Panhandle and is bounded on the West by Mexico Beach, and on the east by St. Marks. Its known as the Forgotten Coast because it hasen't been significantly developed (yet). Here's a link to a local site (no affiliation) with more info and a map: Apalachicola, St. George Island, Forgotten Coast, Carrabelle, Eastpoint, Florida | Apalachicola Bay Chamber of Commerce. We're in Carrabelle.

To stay on topic, this is the little slice of paradise where we're building our dream.
LOL, I asked because some people confuse the Nature coast with the real forgotten coast, i.e. the eastern panhandle area, such as you have described.

We plan to keep our next boat in either PC or Carrabelle/St. Marks area.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 20:19   #56

Boat: looking build or buy a boat to escape from the rat race..
Quote:
But how many people dream of buying a boat and sailing away.
They make it their goal which is fairly easy, just to find out
it wasn't really for them.
Dreams or fantasies?
Kenny:

Actually that is my dream to build my boat and retire on it. Since I have learned how to sail and now that I serve in the Coast Guard Auxiliary, I find that I am more at peace with myself and everything else when I am on the water.
The strange thing is...when I come back in to dry land from being out on the water and walk around a bit. It feels strange...almost like the reverse of a landlubber getting a little seasick when he gets out on a boat from dry land.

Scott
Fernao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 20:45   #57

Boat: Tartan 30
Quote:

If you want to keep it the way it is now, I'd suggest not advertising it so much

Hopefully nobody will read this post

I grew up on the gulf coast and lived more than half my life there... Spent a few minutes in Carrabelle...(best surf'n'turf of my life--you know where...). And, did you know Appalachicola has NEVER experienced Hurricane strength winds, ever in their recorded history??? seriously... let's keep it forgotten
Old 05-02-2011, 08:23   #58

Dreams and Goals

Good afternoon,

"A goal is a dream with a deadline."

Once you have set the deadline, quietly tell a few close friends and your wife about it. Now you are committed.
Then you have to focus on that deadline. The passion to achieve then becomes the driver.

Take building a boat and to take it on a long passage as an example.

You start the building. While your friends are sitting on their backsides, you're building. While you're building, and sanding and sweating, you picture yourself sailing into that far-away lagoon. You stay focused and committed.
Then you launch your boat! You can show a boat for your efforts.
And those TV watching mates, what can they show? Nothing! They come to your launching party and feel just a little bit let's say "ordinary".

Then you commit to casting off. You stand out to sea, you get a bit seasick and you suffer a few bruisings at the hands of nature.
And those TV watching guys are still just watching TV. And sleep comy at night on a solid bed.
And you achieve your goal and live your dream. You sail into that far-away lagoon.

And the TV crowd? What have they achieved in the last year?
Absolutely nothing. They can tell you what was on TV. That's all. They might have dreamed, but that's about it.

You need to set those goals.
And achieving them is never easy. Thats why they are goals. Only those with the real passion achieve their goals.

Regards,

Banjo.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 16:39   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Quote:
The Forgotten Coast of Florida lies along the Panhandle and is bounded on the West by Mexico Beach, and on the east by St. Marks. Its known as the Forgotten Coast because it hasen't been significantly developed (yet)................
Our dream continued when we bought our current boat at Shell Point near St. Marks 26 years ago. We first sailed away in 1971, but our dreams (Nancie & I) were developed in Tallahasse in'69. We love the undeveloped coast. Yesterday we spent some time on an absolutely deserted beach exactly twenty miiles south of South Beach, Miami. For us, a big part of the dream is access to the undeveloped!
Old 05-02-2011, 17:12   #60

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Our dream is about to be accomplished, We'll become fulltime cruisers mid april, for as long as the cash holds out. Part of the dream that didn't happen exactally as planned is the bahamas during hurricane season.....but you can't have your cake and eat it too.
The goal?
the goal is to make a living upon return to dry land (if and when) that allows more of the dream!!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote