Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2011, 18:53   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lyle C. Hess owner built 29'6" cutter
Do you follow any cruising blogs?

Do You follow any cruising blogs?
Larry and I are getting ready to introduce my new book at bookstores along the US east coast. We'll also be visiting some boatshows and the SSCA gam and presenting seminars. Right now I am updating my presentation about how to earn extra cruising funds by writing articles, books, and creating videos as you cruise. I would really appreciate some imput on your reaction to cruising blogs. Questions I have are:
1. Do you follow blogs written by people you have not met who are getting ready to cruise.
2. do you follow blogs from folks who are out cruising.
3. How do you choose or find these blogs.
4. What would you like to read in the blogs.
5. Are you signed up on the blogs emailing list?
6. Have you paid to log on to any cruising blogs?

Thanks in advance for your input. I'll read any posts you add here or you can post your thoughts at my site www.linpardey.com
Lin and Larry Pardey
Lin Pardey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 19:33   #2

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172
Re: Do you follow any cruising blogs?

1. No.

2. Yes. In no particular order:
Attainable Adventure Cruising, Morgan’s Cloud
Sailing Blog | Nautical Book Authors | Lin & Larry Pardey
Atom Voyages | Voyaging Around the World on the Sailboat Atom
Beth & Evans
Fatty Goodlander, S/V Wild Card - Home
Wally Bryant Blog Index

3. I usually find them through magazine articles or books, through threads here, or by internet search engine while looking for other stuff. I only keep reading the ones that hold my interest.

4. I'm more interested in the nuts & bolts of sailing- boat handling, outfitting, etc. I'm generally less interested in cruising lifestyle & destinations, except for destinations I might actually go to.

5. No.

6. Hell no.

I think that in order to maintain interest & traffic on a website or blog, it's necessary to post regular updates. Obviously, life's events don't always happen on a schedule, plus cruising destinations sometimes make it difficult to post such updates. Nevertheless, it helps maintain a following.
Old 19-06-2011, 19:55   #3

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin Pardey View Post
Do You follow any cruising blogs?
Larry and I are getting ready to introduce my new book at bookstores along the US east coast. We'll also be visiting some boatshows and the SSCA gam and presenting seminars. Right now I am updating my presentation about how to earn extra cruising funds by writing articles, books, and creating videos as you cruise. I would really appreciate some imput on your reaction to cruising blogs. Questions I have are:
1. Do you follow blogs written by people you have not met who are getting ready to cruise.

Thanks in advance for your input. I'll read any posts you add here or you can post your thoughts at my site www.linpardey.com
Lin and Larry Pardey

Hi Lin,

Aside from a few books Blogs have been the #1 source of inspiration for me for over 3 years now. I currently follow about 75 blogs (mostly sailing related, but not all of them). That may sound like a lot to some people, but it's really only a few entries a day. Nobody updates on a very consistent basis...

I follow different types of blogs, but it's been an evolution of things. I started out seeking the adventures and destinations, so It was current cruisers, but then I got serious about doing it myself and became interested in the actual boats. So, I started finding blogs about boat projects and potential cruisers. I still read the majority of blogs I found 2-3 years ago... but now, When I find new blogs I'm mostly interested in a more philosophical type of writing. I look for the personal experience, usually related to a few specific topics that I find appealing, and then I end up following only the people/blogs that I somehow relate to, or otherwise find intriguing.

I use a feed reader (RSS). So, I do not join mailing lists, and most of the time I don't visit the actual websites. As a result, I don't care what the websites look like. They can be basic blogger pages or fancy professionally designed sites, doesn't matter, it's the content that counts. Also note, if a blog doesn't have an RSS feed, even if I find it interesting, I don't follow it...
I have never, and would never, pay to read a blog. However, I have bought a few books and videos as a direct result of the related blogs.

As for finding them, I'd have to say it's almost entirely by chance. There's a few blogs I follow from seeing links in forums, but the majority of them I've found through searching google, mainly looking for answers to sailing/cruising related questions (not specifically looking for blogs). I'm still amazed when I find a new blog that has been around for years, and yet I've never seen it before....
Old 19-06-2011, 19:58   #4

Boat: Pearson 281

These are the two I look at SailBlogs | Sailing Blog Hosting & Social Network While there is some sifting through the dull and self indulgent here I enjoy the variety of styles and focus and have found myself bookmarking the ones I particularly like and returning regularly. These will usually be funny, self-effacing technical and/or anecdotal accounts of "the life" complete with flubs mistakes and scary moments ... as below a good, dry even "black" sense of humor is best for me.

Then there is: WaveTrain Charles's knowledge is pretty comprehensive, he has a good sense of humor, keeps it topical as well as eclectic and doesn't mind if folks put in thier 2cents.

Of, course as long as there are free blog sites won't be paying when I choose to join.

keep email to a minimum I don't want to get any "bulletins"

Found these two blogs by just running searches.

Hope that helps
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 20:10   #5

Lin:

1) I've had a blog for over five years now but, I do follow a few other blogs as well. Yes, I have checked in on some blogs of people getting ready or building boats in preparation for cruising. Though I think I probably follow blogs that I would not really call cruising blogs I think boating blogs or nautical blogs may be more like it. But, they are not day by day chronicles of a cruise.

2) Often I will look at other blogs that some of my favorite blogs that may link to which may be blogs written by cruisers.

3) Usually from a blog I check into often or from a link on the signature of someone here on the Cruisers Forum

4) I like a little of everything. Gear reports, local knowledge, local history, repair or modification, a lesson learned etc... Much like what I put into my blog.

5) Not so much on the blogs I follow as I usually check them out of habit. But, I do get emails of discussions I follow here on CF. I have put some blogs on my computer favorites list that I will check them from time to time.

6) No I don't pay to read any blog. I'm too busy raising funds for the Capt. Mike Fund for Living. At the moment a "non profit" endeavor.
Old 19-06-2011, 20:24   #6

Boat: Morgan Classic 41

Lin,
I have a blog and I also read/follow several (alright, many) more.
Some fall in this category. Most are folks I have met out cruising or through social networks. (sailors, all.)
Yes.
I like good writers, humour, and find a lot of blogs through FB.
day-to day stuff is fine. I like keeping up with their travels and anecdotes of adventures
Never. I may "follow" the blog, but I bookmark them. After a while, I can get a sense of how often they post.
No. I've never heard of a "pay-for" blog. I have bought merchandise through ads on blogs though.
mjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 20:28   #7

Boat: Moody 425

Hi Lin,

We are currently in the final preparation stages of going cruising.

1) I have come across a few yes, but probably wouldn't 'follow' them vigilantly no. I like stories with endings, these are people who are at the same stage as me, while this gives me comfort I figure the proof is in the pudding, once someone HAS circumnavigated then I may be interested in how they prepared and outfitted.

2) Yes. Firstly it helps fuel keep my dream/plan alive as well as giving us both an insight into what we might expect. I read alot of books by cruiser's for the same reason, and I guess following some blogs is just an extension of the same thing.

3) I guess I hear about, or read about such and such who is sailing around the world and click on their blog. The few I follow closely are cruising folk I have heard give a presentation and/or have met.

4) Everything and anything to a degree. Hearing about the people and places that make us all go cruising is always inspiring. Hearing also that other people have difficulties and how they overcome them is both encouraging and educational!

5) no.

6)I own a boat and I am preparing to go cruising, who has money to pay for a blog ?????
I would buy someone's book yes, because that represents a tangible investment of time and effort, but no I would not pay for a blog. Maybe there are people who would, but I am not one of them.
chall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 20:42   #8

Hi Lin,

I'm happy to help you out as best I can with your questions, and I 'd like to mention to you that you guys were/are a large part of our overall inspiration to go motorless in our Alberg 30, and cruise as a permanent occupation!

Thanks for putting everything out there that you have to date, we both really appreciate it. Here is our site about rebuilding/refitting Heron in preparation to launch (I don't have it linked in my sig, and I'd be remiss if I didn't give it to you here in this thread):

Preparing for launch: The Adventures of the Sailing Vessel Heron - Blog

On to your questions:

Quote:
Yes, we try to absorb as much real world cruising preparation as we can, so we check out quite a few blogs and sites on a regular basis.

Quote:
Yes, but oddly enough we follow the ones where we seem to disagree in cruising philosophy the most. We check in with quite a few blogs daily.

Quote:
Finding them linked through forums, other blogs, etc. Word of mouth sometimes as well.

Quote:
Well, I like to read stuff that strays from the stodgy cruising "norms". I like anything where someone is coloring outside of the lines for the most part.

Quote:
No, we just check in on our own.

Quote:
Never. And never would, either.

Thanks again to both of you
Chris
ChrisnCate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 20:46   #9

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Hi Lin,
Nice to have you back.

1-YES

2-YES

3- Originally started reading www.bunfuzzle.com because of the controversy but have read everything they've written.
Find some here, mag articles, word of mouth, etc.

4-More about the adventure not sail handling inless somethinf totally new. After all it's the destination that matters and the daily life..

5- NO

6- NO
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 04:00   #10

Boat: custom 42' catamaran

I tried to load your link but no luck here in the Philippines.

Questions I have are:
1. Do you follow blogs written by people you have not met who are getting ready to cruise. - I usually follow forums rather than blogs. I often look at blogs when they are referenced in a forum thread - if I like it I will bookmark it. In a third world country internet access is often slow and/or spotty - so getting back can be problematical.

2. do you follow blogs from folks who are out cruising. - I might if they were cruising in the Philippines or elsewhere in SE Asia.

3. How do you choose or find these blogs. - Typically someone posts a link during a thread discussion on a subject of interest.

4. What would you like to read in the blogs. - Some time ago when I visited your site the thing I liked the most was your monthly 'tips'. I went back through the years and read them all.

5. Are you signed up on the blogs emailing list? - No, even the forums I am on (typically Yahoo Groups about the Philippines) I review the threads on line and do not have any of the material coming to my In Box (except for the Typhoon2000 updates).

6. Have you paid to log on to any cruising blogs? - No. There is just way too much material out there to go through to have to pay for extra.
Bruce626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 04:14   #11
Armchair Bucketeer

No.

I might click a link from a forum and have a look at something specific, but rarely do I go back.

I don't like the layout of most Blogs - they often seem to be 500 pages tall which makes loading / reading them a PITA for me (I have a short attention span).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 05:35   #12
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Yes.

2. Do you follow blogs from folks who are out cruising.

Yes.

Every common way: links, forums, searches for information, friends. Some the bloggers I have met, some not (about 50%).

Some for how-to, some for adventure and humor.

No.

Can't imagine. There is more good stuff out there than I have time to follow (there is far more tripe, but I don't follow it).

The how-to blogs I like best are those have good indexes. The adventure blogs I like best are either people I know, places I've been, or places I'm going; I can relate to them. Otherwise, the public library is full of good writing and I prefer books.
Old 20-06-2011, 05:47   #13
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I take 'Blog' and 'Website' to mean more or less the same. A 'Blog' is a bit of software to make a website. Though some people think differently!

No. Far too painfull to read peoples inexperience mistakes I've made most of them

I don't follow blogs per say, but I know a lot of blogs and the good ones keep coming up when I am searching for help on Google.
BethandEvans.com is one
Often times if I am in a new area I google (for example) 'Canaries anchorages' and a familiar blog will come up with good information.
Where ever therre is to go someone has been before and often there's info to be gleaned.

Links and Google

I prefer to look at dirty pictures. Blog people tend to over write. There is a difference to those with websites.
I prefer lots of photos and good technical information.

No

No and would never.

I hope nobody suggests my website isn't up to date! I've just been basking in the sun a bit too much

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 05:48   #14

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Yes, but I find myself reading them less and less.

Yes, but I find myself reading them less and less.

No special system. I just stumble across them, someone links to them, etc. I don't go looking for them.

Nothing ... I've had enough of blogs, too redundant, which is why I don't read them much anymore.

No

No
Old 20-06-2011, 06:06   #15

Some, mostly for boat preparation advice

Nope, they're all the same.. too journalistic, needs more pizazz

Profile and signature links mostly

Adventure and something original - I can read restaurant reviews or equipment reviews elsewhere.

No

Absolutely not - why would I pay money for insight I can get for free elsewhere.
rowingdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising