Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2014, 16:26   #376
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Do Multihullers Ever go Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I don't get it. Why should I be comparing the tankage of a 45ft cat with a tankage of a 60 ft monohull and not with a boat of the same length? Even if we consider displacement as a measure a 45ft cat is closer to the displacement of a monohull of the same size than to a 60fter. So why 45ft to 60ft?

Certainly always been the standard to do so here on CF. Because they cost about the same. You know this, it's mentioned often. In this thread too.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 16:29   #377

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
There you go comparing a 45 ft cat to a 45 ft mono again. And it just happens to be the 45 ft cat with the largest tankage in the fleet, and the slowest too. If we compare it's tankage to a 60' mono, the truth comes out. Even more so if we pick a 45' cat with a more average (for a cat) tank size.
And he can compare it to my build, 35' mono and 1.5t tankage for diesel. Not the fastest boat in the fleet but got no hurry to get to busy marinas either..
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 16:33   #378
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 16:56   #379

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Hmm... well its hard to show really bad weather because the Cat smooths out the seas so well.......

Force ten in 40ft plastic catamaran, big rollers in finistere

Well, been in a bad weather a couple of times. The first vid was just a mild gale, not much to talk about waves. The second one, maybe the wind was about 25m/s (50knots) just breaking the storm strength but the sea was just starting to build up, 15' I reckon. Nasty if going any other direction but not DW. Third reef in the mainsail with a mono..
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 17:11   #380
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
There you go comparing a 45 ft cat to a 45 ft mono again. And it just happens to be the 45 ft cat with the largest tankage in the fleet, and the slowest too. If we compare it's tankage to a 60' mono, the truth comes out. Even more so if we pick a 45' cat with a more average (for a cat) tank size.

I think you hit the nail on the head. If your boat is slow you carry large quantities of diesel as you know you will only sail 10% of the time. If you have a fast boat, no need for a lot of fuel. I like the fast boat. Better on the environment , the pocket book and peace of mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 17:12   #381
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Well, been in a bad weather a couple of times. The first vid was just a mild gale, not much to talk about waves. The second one, maybe the wind was about 25m/s (50knots) just breaking the storm strength but the sea was just starting to build up, 15' I reckon. Nasty if going any other direction but not DW. Third reef in the mainsail with a mono..
Well guys.
Its time for me to leave this discussion.

When its getting into a pissing contest about cats vs monos with a distinct lack of humour.........

For those that dont know... VIDEO does not really show the full extent of wave height due to linear lack of perspective and some other technical stuff.

It dont matter, the weather is bad enough for me and whatever vessel Im in, I might go downwind for a while and retrace.... but Im a wimp that way.

We all love boats, and the merits of one hull or more is particularised by the application we have for it. the types will interchange in most situations, and be better in some.

Its down to preference in the end. I love sub 30foot bilge keelers, and in the mono world that is considered 'less' of a boat lolol... I guess I cant win regardless. But I do have a supreme fondness for the Med on a Catamaran.

1.00 am here in the U,K. I wish you all a good night and hope to discuss another topic at another time.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 17:20   #382
smj

Quote:
This line is the height of hypocrisy. As usual, this entire thread, including the title, is just a mono bash. Seems to be what most of you multi guys spend the majority if your time here doing. And then you get upset when we arrive to defend our choices. You guys can choose to think a cat is the be all end all for all conditions, with no drawbacks whatsoever to consider, and I know you will. But for the undecided out there, the truth should be known...

I find this humorous. The mono guys love coming over to the multi forum and trashing the seaworthiness of our boats. I don't know about the other multihullers but I hardly ever go to the monohull forum. Even during the once a week report of another mono sinking I leave it alone. Maybe the multihull crowd should feel more comfortable and visit the mono forum more often, possibly making some obnoxious comments concerning the seaworthiness of their boats? Nah, would take up to much time and let's face it we are pretty secure in our choice on boat:-)

Old 09-05-2014, 17:35   #383
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

There are a couple of folks who seem to spend some time looking for a chance to have a dig at mono's from the multi brigade. It all seems so pointless to me. If you are secure in your choice then it does not matter a sod if somebody else does not like it. If you are insecure about it then you better change it because your life is going to be a misery defending it against all the world.

I think the whole debate needs a bit more humour and light. The same old serious "mine's right and yours is wrong" stuff is old hat and merely proves which side has the most sensitive supporters, nothing else

Coops.
Old 09-05-2014, 17:49   #384

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Certainly always been the standard to do so here on CF. Because they cost about the same. You know this, it's mentioned often. In this thread too.
Yes multihulls are more expensive but I don't think it will be a reason to compare the tankage of bigger sailboats with the one of smaller ones. You have the money for one or not, the same way you have the money for a new boat or have not (and have to buy an used one). And if you have plenty of money that would not mean that you would want to buy a 100ft or the bigger boat around.

Sure, being more expensive is a big disadvantage in what regards catamarans as it is paying more money on a marina and on maintenance, or needing a bigger boat to have the same seaworthiness, the non re-righting ability are just some of the disadvantages of that type of sailboat, nor a reason to compare a smaller boat with a bigger boat in what regards tankage.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 18:15   #385

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I find this humorous. The mono guys love coming over to the multi forum and trashing the seaworthiness of our boats. I don't know about the other multihullers but I hardly ever go to the monohull forum....
Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
> Do Multihullers Ever go Back

Yes, specially humorous since this thread is not on multihull forum but on the General sailing forum and his title and content is more than a bit provocative to the ones that prefer monohulls: It is implied that multihulls are a better option for cruising than monohulls since most sailors that pass to multihulls do not come back. Of course the vast majority that pass to monohulls do that not for sailing reasons but for space reasons and the condo cats largely dominate the market in a proportion of 10 to one or more.

It is even more funny since the one that started this thread is one of that small minority that own a true performance cat. Probably the ones that own performance multihulls have more in common with the ones that own performance monohulls than with the ones that own condo cats and that makes the idea of this thread an unhappy one.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 18:56   #386

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
It is even more funny since the one that started this thread is one of that small minority that own a true performance cat.
The Voyage 440 is a performance cat? I guess on par with those Deans! We certainly have a different idea of what constitutes "performance" in regard to catamarans. I'm not knocking the Voyage and do not consider our boat a performance design either.

44CC's boat, on the other hand, does sneak onto that side of the line.

And yes, I do have experience sailing Voyages (I think this type of disclaimer should be considered important on this thread!).

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 19:00   #387
smj

Quote:
Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
> Do Multihullers Ever go Back

Yes, specially humorous since this thread is not on multihull forum but on the General sailing forum and his title and content is more than a bit provocative to the ones that prefer monohulls: It is implied that multihulls are a better option for cruising than monohulls since most sailors that pass to multihulls do not come back. Of course the vast majority that pass to monohulls do that not for sailing reasons but for space reasons and the condo cats largely dominate the market in a proportion of 10 to one or more.

It is even more funny since the one that started this thread is one of that small minority that own a true performance cat. Probably the ones that own performance multihulls have more in common with the ones that own performance monohulls than with the ones that own condo cats and that makes the idea of this thread an unhappy one.

You are discussing this one thread and I agree with what you say. But in general I believe in what I said is true. I think the majority of the people that switch from mono to multi think they're going to gain both speed and space. But like you said the majority buy the condo cats and get the space but realize no gain in performance.

Old 09-05-2014, 19:04   #388

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
the majority buy the condo cats and get the space but realize no gain in performance.
Which is still a win in my book…

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 19:26   #389
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Still waiting for a quad-hull
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 19:40   #390
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Still waiting for a quad-hull
I believe Gillette is about to come out with one.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, multihull