Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 18:04   #76

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Do Multihullers Ever go Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
This could open up a real can of worms. I spend too much time in the dingy running around the harbor taking pix of the back of cats. Many of them look like a brick wall. My Seawind is able to run away from most of the boats in the harbor. A boat like a Lagoon, FP, and other condomarans have about twice the beam in the hulls of my Seawind. A friend has a Shuttleworth which has hulls with beams similar to mind. Maybe not in the same class but there was a Chris White boat here a while back and it was in the same class. Same goes for the St. Fransiss having hulls that have a somewhat narrow beam compared to the condomarans.

I will say one of the most enjoyable evenings I have spend was on a Lagoon. Had AC, microwave, ice maker, and all the toys to make life enjoyable in warm/hot tropical weather. Downside was the noise from the genset.

As an aside the only boat that gave me second thoughts about my decision to get the Seawind was when I was aboard an F39. Home build but the guy did a bang up job, and knew what he wanted. It had plenty of space for him and his wife and had a solid five knot advantage or more over my boat. I also suspect the price point is above a cat that sails reasonable well. What convinces me the Seawind was the right boat for me is that I can easily single hand it. The F39 is a legit twenty knot plus boat, but it probably needs a crew of four or five.
My God, can someone correct this on a previous post of mine:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post

It is not also by chance that the cats that sell way more are not the good sailing ones but the condo type, with a "reasonable" sailing ability but a great and huge interior. I believe the Lagoon is the best sailing one? Followed by several similar typed cats.
Not sailing, but the best selling one.

I guess that will eradicate that can of worms

The Lagoon is certainly well designed and a seaworthy cat due to the big beam and weight, but fast it is not. Regarding those 20K+ I think you are joking
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 18:10   #77

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Now cats are less susceptible to overloading than mono's!? ROFL!

Wonder why the worlds container ships aren't all cats...
I didn't know that the container ships were sailing monohulls and had to take care with an AVS not lower than 105º
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 18:14   #78

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
My God, can someone correct this on a previous post of mine:

Not sailing, but the best selling one.

I guess that will eradicate that can of worms

The Lagoon is certainly well designed and a seaworthy cat due to the big beam and weight, but fast it is not. Regarding those 20K+ I think you are joking
Maybe so, but I am not the only one joking. The F39 is a big fast ocean going boat that lots of folks claim will sail faster than twenty knots in many conditions.

tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 18:38   #79

Boat: Oyster 55

Looks like a fun boat for costal cruising but question how fast and nimble it would be loaded with a family's gear and stores for extended cruising.
Maybe it would be adequate for a couple.
However I guess when money is an issue there is always a trade off.
The Multihull Company has had a 50 something Tri listed for quite a while that is located in France.
It looks fantastic, other than price wonder why it hasn't sold.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 18:42   #80
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Why? Must it matter how we get there? Are you not "cruising" if you cross an ocean in a power boat? How about in a motorsailor? It's ridiculous to insist we can only compare numbers done strictly under sail, and the only people who would seriously suggest it are those who are handicapped in any other regard...
I wasn't putting down your motorsailer just stating the comparison was about sailing not motoring. I could give a rats ass what kind of boat you have or how you plan to cruise, all that matters is that you are happy with your decision
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 18:54   #81
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I wasn't putting down your motorsailer just stating the comparison was about sailing not motoring. I could give a rats ass what kind of boat you have or how you plan to cruise, all that matters is that you are happy with your decision

Really? I thought the comparison was about passage time. My whole point was it doesn't matter how that passage time was achieved. The ARC numbers show that "fast" cats and "slow" monos make similar passage times, in part because the monos can carry much more fuel, and are therefore less affected by light wind. My boat is not a motorsailor, but it does have a solid 1800 mile range under power.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 18:57   #82

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Silly. Bigger engine isn't about going faster, it's about burning the fuel in your large tankage more efficiently, and going farther. A multihull simply doesn't have the load capacity for really big tanks.
Australia's fastest maxi yacht Wild Oates upgraded it engine as much to power all the Hydraulics for canting keel, winches etc. Making it faster under sail. Can't operate the vessel without a motor.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 19:16   #83
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
If you think about it.. you may remember how many folk post on here... "Never sailed but thinking of buying a 50' catamaran.. I have a plan.."
I can think of at least 4 threads this year along those lines.. not counting the one running right now.. and I can think of a coupla 3 cats over the years I've delivered where the owners had crewed on mono's but never owned one..
Not having a pop.. or trying to put anyone down.. just saying..
Man you guys got no sense of humour
Phil, for what it's worth, I agree with you. From the posts it does appear that many haven't owned a substantial boat before. Owning a 20' mono then moving to a 40+ foot cat doesn't count to me.

So, I for one went from never owning a mono to a cat. I also went from a 20' Hobie weighing 425 lbs to a 56' cat weighing about 100 times as much. So far so good.

I'd also consider getting a mono if I was interested in high latitude sailing. Many cats do sail these regions but for me, I'd rather have a bullet proof mono. What was that brand of boats you posted about years ago? A Jonker or something? I'd take one of those in a heart beat. There's lots of mono's I'd love to have but not until I'm done cruising with 10 people aboard all summer long. Plus, it really is nice to not roll at anchor all night long.
Old 05-05-2014, 19:22   #84
smj

Quote:
Really? I thought the comparison was about passage time. My whole point was it doesn't matter how that passage time was achieved. The ARC numbers show that "fast" cats and "slow" monos make similar passage times, in part because the monos can carry much more fuel, and are therefore less affected by light wind. My boat is not a motorsailor, but it does have a solid 1800 mile range under power.

I did see one site that called it a performance motorsailor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2014, 19:38   #85
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I did see one site that called it a performance motorsailor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well that clinches it then!

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 19:44   #86
smj

Quote:
Well that clinches it then!
Old 05-05-2014, 19:50   #87

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
Looks like a fun boat for costal cruising but question how fast and nimble it would be loaded with a family's gear and stores for extended cruising.
Maybe it would be adequate for a couple.
However I guess when money is an issue there is always a trade off.
The Multihull Company has had a 50 something Tri listed for quite a while that is located in France.
It looks fantastic, other than price wonder why it hasn't sold.
Weight is a real consideration, and not just for multihulls. I do have experience with C24 and C31. Also have looked at the F9A or what ever it is. The Corsair line (maybe with the exception of the C36) are well designed and well build boats. The Fboats seem to have more variance in the level of construction, but the good ones are very good and much more aimed at cruising as opposed to the Corsairs which, at least to me seem to be more racing, fast day sailing, and limited short cruising.

The F39 had plenty of room for extended cruising in a place like the Bahamas for two, and I suspect it would be comfortable for four. The C31 is much smaller and if two folks were on it they would need to be friendly. Not really enough room for water, food, fuel, and toys.

On the other hand all of the Corsairs are stupid fun to sail. Even an average sailor can exceed the wind speed on them in average conditions. The tiller is light and you will be passing just about any other sail boat. My take is this is why they are so popular. Easy and fun for most folks to sail faster than the other boats around, you can put them on a trailer easily and quickly and pull even the C31 with a normal pickup truck with no special permits, and if bad weather they will go 55mph to windward on interstate. Cheap and easy to store, maybe even in the back yard. This is the way a lot of folks use their boats. They go out on day sails or weekends for the most part and maybe a few times a year are able to get away for a week or two.

Farrier claims up till 40 feet or so a cat will have the advantage over a tri for cruising. I think the F39 is the smallest tri I would want to cruise on (assuming my definition of cruising is being away from a source of water or food for a month or longer).

If you are talking about Virgin Fire there have been long threads about it at SA. It needs new sails, maybe repowered, very basic spartan interior, blindly fast, and the owner is not motivated to sell.

I have seen lots of posts loving and hating various boats. The thing is not everyone is looking for the same thing in boats. My cat has two 9.9 Yamaha outboards. Lots of folks think it is under powered and has a short range even with lots of jerry cans on deck. On the other hand repairing the motors is easy and they are cheap to replace if needed. I love having two screws close to amid ships so I can turn the boat in its own length. Just because someone else likes a boat does not mean the boat is the right one for another person.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 19:56   #88

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
This could open up a real can of worms. I spend too much time in the dingy running around the harbor taking pix of the back of cats. Many of them look like a brick wall. My Seawind is able to run away from most of the boats in the harbor. A boat like a Lagoon, FP, and other condomarans have about twice the beam in the hulls

I will say one of the most enjoyable evenings I have spend was on a Lagoon. Had AC, microwave, ice maker, and all the toys to make life enjoyable in warm/hot tropical weather. Downside was the noise from the genset.
Kind of interesting, the importance of comfort of living aboard , abroad are exactly why we bought a comfortable cruising cat as opposed to a daysailor weekender cat. Running away from other boats never was on our checklist. But still being able to sail 7-8 knots + were happy with, if speed were super important we could always add a bowsprit and a screecher and push 10-12.In Comfort.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 20:37   #89

Boat: Oyster 55

Hey tomfl, the name of the Tri I was referring to is a Pinta built "Paille En Queue"
It is over in the Med. and 52 ft. in length.
Probably not everyone's cup of tea but I really like it.
I too have also admired the Farrier boats but probably, at least for now, need more room.
I personally would prefer a big Tri over even a Gunboat but again I realize they are not for everyone.
I would love to sail one at least and see if they are really what they appear to be.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 21:20   #90
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I have been selling boats for a while now, and every client bar one had a mono prior to their Multi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Looking at that slightly askew, then one could say that 99% of multi owners never buy another one.

Coops.
Only if stats wasn't your major at uni. Roughly Half my sales are to owners of previous multis
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, multihull