Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2015, 18:48   #931

Re: Do Multihullers Ever go Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzmeyer View Post
A catamaran sailor doesn't go back for the same reason someone married to an ugly spouse doesn't go back - they can't. My 50 foot production cruiser will beat the 40 foot production cat on every point of sail and every wind condition at about the same price. No one ever walks down the dock and looks back at their lagoon or leopard and says "what a pretty boat".

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Another dumb post. I could go back to a mono anytime I liked. Cat's are easy to sell, even in a depressed market. People are virtually giving mono's away.

Any time I felt like sailing slow, being wet and uncomfortable all the time, rolling my guts out in every anchorage, being constantly limited in where I can go due to the boat's ridiculous draught....

What am I saying, I'd never do it.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 19:01   #932

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
To my mind Cat's are for people who are too old to enjoy a yacht doing what they should do, heal over. They are also for married people when the spouse does not like sailing.

There's not much better in sailing than sitting at the helm on the leeward side close to the water

As people don't recover from old age, the only people who probably go back to monohull's are those who are enjoying their newly single life

I do concede that a performance cat could sway me but never a multi-story condo

A mono sailor suggested to me cats were retirement homes for sailors.. I will take that.

For me I see no walue sailing on a lean getting wet and cold. If I want to get wet I will go for a swim or dive at the destination.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 19:02   #933
Marine Service Provider

Location: floating around ... hopefully in aqua clear swimming pool water!
Boat: 1985 Passport 37

Re: Multihulls in a tropical storm ... Ok, a bit of reconnaissance on weather goes a long way in staying out of a tropical storm ... BUT ... two quick examples....

We left Shelter Bay Panama (canal zone) with a great forecast to get to Providencia, Colombia -- end of November south of the hurricane zone. Two days later we were chased into Providencia by quickly forming (and not forecast even the same morning) by Hurricane Ida. Not a fun ride.

Second, friends that had a multihull, experienced cruisers, on their way back FL ... good forecast, rogue wave. Flipped the catamaran in the middle of the night. The next morning they didn't check in on the NW Caribbean SSB network, not normal. The Net notified the US Coast Guard after they didn't check in at the 5 PM checkin that night - again, not normal. The USCG acknowledged an EPIRB but it went off almost immediately. Friends boat inverted, had to knock a hole through the bottom of an ama. Rescued by USCG.... scary.

Had a chance to sail a multihull for the first time a few months back ... LOVED it, even though we're confirmed mono sailors. Would we switch? Can't afford a multi, so don't have to confront the issue.

https://commutercruiser.com
sv Winterlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 19:07   #934

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
To my mind Cat's are for people who are too old to enjoy a yacht doing what they should do, heal over. They are also for married people when the spouse does not like sailing.

There's not much better in sailing than sitting at the helm on the leeward side close to the water

As people don't recover from old age, the only people who probably go back to monohull's are those who are enjoying their newly single life

I do concede that a performance cat could sway me but never a multi-story condo

Oh no! Did he say that? There's some truth in that statement.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 19:15   #935

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

[QUOTE
Had a chance to sail a multihull for the first time a few months back ... LOVED it, even though we're confirmed mono sailors. Would we switch? Can't afford a multi, so don't have to confront the issue. [/QUOTE]

Sums it up for me, unless I give up living on the hard. Admiral won't buy it.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 04:57   #936

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
The Comet cat, im sure is an excellent sailer. However, the modern trend for square everything and super open cockpit and interior, plus the Scandinavian type styling doesnt sit right with personal layout preferences. It is reminiscent of the Seawind styling and the Broadblue..... Ok just a little.

Be interesting to see in action, but not grabbed by the design.

Thanks for showing. I have not seen before.
They are also making a 62ft, also very nice but then it is much more easy to make a big cat look nice then a smaller one. I had made some posts about them on my blog. Both are Marc Lombard designs.

Home - Comar Yachts
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 05:07   #937

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Drawings not yet built.

Real vessels here

downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 06:03   #938
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Real vessels here
Yes, they are building some nice looking, practical multis over in that part of the world.

I have some photos of a really nice one I saw up in Thailand,...somewhere on my older computer if I can dig them out?
Old 19-02-2015, 09:13   #939

This is a non-retirement condo cat that I could like

BAÑULS - High Performance Catamaran - Sailing Luxury Catamaran

Tags
hull, multihull