Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-02-2015, 12:03   #901
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M
Re: Do Multihullers Ever go Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I am never biased, and always honest. Therefore one of those two statements is a lie.
I'm lying to you right now.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:30   #902
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I'm lying to you right now.
Would I expect less from a Canibul??

Old 12-02-2015, 12:50   #903

I agree with the general consensus. Each hull type has its place. My wife gets seasick a bit and we are going to try the catamaran thing for a while.

There are older Cats that can be had for little amounts of money that are ocean capable. The captain is the weakest link of most boats.

I have always looked at the choice between hull types as a risk reward thought process.

Monohull is a low risk low reward hull type, they are forgiving to the novice sailor, but even that novice sailor can get close to hull speed with little knowledge of sailing.

Multihill is a high risk high reward hull type, they aren't as forgiving as too much wind before you reef could have you capsized. But an expert sailor could have that cat moving at double or better speed than an equal sized mono.

We had a Pearson 26, we just bought an Iroquois 30. The fastest we ever had the Pearson was 8.4 knots surfing, the Iroquois has been clocked by others (not me until this year) at 18 knots while flying a hull.

With so many responses, I figured I would needlessly add my .02.
Old 12-02-2015, 15:27   #904

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran

For what its worth, I go back and forth all the time.

I race and cruise on monos and mainly cruise on cats.

I'm happy racing either, but i'd rather do passages on a cat.

My wife likes to be able to walk upright and i like her cooking, which is better and more frequent on a cat
Old 15-02-2015, 04:54   #905

Boat: Comet 41s

One that had experienced monohulls, cats and returned to monohulls again is Bobby Schenk. He is a German sailing legend, have circumnavigated and sailed extensively. On a cat he had done 20 000nm, just a small portion of its global offshore experience. He sees advantages and disadvantages on a cat regarding a monohull but contrary to what many would thing absolute seaworthiness is not one of them.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Schenk

Answering to a guy that asked if he see it as suitable a 45ft cat for sailing on the roaring forties? Bobby Schenk answer:

"Ocean sailing is, generally a compromise. ...
You see already, it boils down to a risk assessment. And so we are in a very subjective area. ... We have sailed with a cozy 14-meter-long catamaran ride round 20 thousand miles,...(and) not even for a second, thought of an impending capsize. But in the open Roaring Forties with a cat? A resounding NO! "

Bobby Schenk beantwortet Fragen
Homepage von Weltumsegler Bobby Schenk

Of course I ma pretty sure that he would consider some monohulls even less suitable than a 45ft cat.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 05:35   #906
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
One that had experienced monohulls, cats and returned to monohulls again is Bobby Schenk. He is a German sailing legend, have circumnavigated and sailed extensively. On a cat he had done 20 000nm, just a small portion of its global offshore experience. He sees advantages and disadvantages on a cat regarding a monohull but contrary to what many would thing absolute seaworthiness is not one of them.

Bobby Schenk – Wikipedia

Answering to a guy that asked if he see it as suitable a 45ft cat for sailing on the roaring forties? Bobby Schenk answer:

"Ocean sailing is, generally a compromise. ...
You see already, it boils down to a risk assessment. And so we are in a very subjective area. ... We have sailed with a cozy 14-meter-long catamaran ride round 20 thousand miles,...(and) not even for a second, thought of an impending capsize. But in the open Roaring Forties with a cat? A resounding NO! "

Bobby Schenk beantwortet Fragen
I would agree with him,...not suitable for the Roaring Forties.

I might add one other thought. If I were single-handed, or real short of crew on a bigger vessel, I might well prefer the trimaran configuration for offshore sailing. There can be a greater sense of safety in that central hull, and a little more 'feeling' of when you are getting over-powered.
Old 15-02-2015, 06:04   #907

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiland View Post
I would agree with him,...not suitable for the Roaring Forties.

I might add one other thought. If I were single-handed, or real short of crew on a bigger vessel, I might well prefer the trimaran configuration for offshore sailing. There can be a greater sense of safety in that central hull, and a little more 'feeling' of when you are getting over-powered.
And I would agree with you in what regards trimarans: That is not by accident that they are the choice in what regards offshore racing.

Regarding safety in what regards multihulls and suitability for the roaring forties it is mostly a question of size (and beam). No doubt a Maxi trimaran or even a maxi catamaran would be safe there.

Just for the ones that think Bobby Schenk does not know what he is talking about or is partial about cats let me remind that his last boat was a cat (a Previlege 465) bought in 2000 and sold in 2010. They lived on it for 10 years and done an almost full circumnavigation on it.

A correction, they had not bought a monohull (I have heard something about that but it was not confirmed). What they say (he and his wife) is that they are looking for a new boat and that would not be necessarily a catamaran.

If the choice was up to Bobby Schenk's wife only, no doubt it would be a cat:

Bobby seems to have a more flexible opinion, seeing also disadvantages on a cat.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 17:31   #908

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

Sounds as if he sees the disadvantages mainly in the Roaring 40's.

Have been a number of cats however that have passaged successfully in the 40's from NZ to Patagonia and Tas to NZ so that with diligent planning passage making is quite doable.

As for just spending time sailing for the sport of it or regular travelling to the poles that's another matter.
Old 15-02-2015, 18:38   #909

Not willing to read all 60 pages, but re: do multi hullers go back?

Back up after you flip?

No.

Old 15-02-2015, 20:34   #910

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb cruzan View Post

Back up after you flip?

No.

Rarely.
Old 15-02-2015, 22:53   #911

Boat: Lagoon 400

looks to me it is not really about the boat mono vs cat.

everyone knows that one pays 1/2 for the same hull length so can go on water sooner.

On the other side you get what you pay for.

Monos are more eu/christian tradition as they acquired many lands using them.

Cats are more polinesian tradition as these guys were acquiring lands in some other time.

I just like less pretentious feel of cats. Wharram design is really nice but my wife said no in first 10 seconds we started looking at it.
Old 16-02-2015, 06:32   #912
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
Cat vs Tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
I just like less pretentious feel of cats. Wharram design is really nice but my wife said no in first 10 seconds we started looking at it.
My partner and I sold a lot of Stiletto catamarans (mostly 27's, a few 30's) back in their day 1975-1988, but I certainly began to notice the 'resistance' by the wife side of the equation. With that in mind I started to import the Dragonfly 25 trimaran,...unfortuntately could not get enough product.

Thus started the Firefly 26 trimaran project....much more appealing to the small family, and the wife portion of the equation.

....family and wife onboard....
RunningTideYachts, Ltd. - Archives
Old 17-02-2015, 14:27   #913
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb cruzan View Post

Back up after you flip?

No.

I'd suggest the vast majority of multihulls that have been flipped were later righted. (Since the vast majority are raceboats.)

Sunken mono's that have been refloated, not so sure.
Old 17-02-2015, 19:15   #914

Boat: Beneteau Sense 50

A catamaran sailor doesn't go back for the same reason someone married to an ugly spouse doesn't go back - they can't. My 50 foot production cruiser will beat the 40 foot production cat on every point of sail and every wind condition at about the same price. No one ever walks down the dock and looks back at their lagoon or leopard and says "what a pretty boat".

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 17-02-2015, 19:25   #915
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzmeyer View Post
A catamaran sailor doesn't go back for the same reason someone married to an ugly spouse doesn't go back - they can't. My 50 foot production cruiser will beat the 40 foot production cat on every point of sail and every wind condition at about the same price. No one ever walks down the dock and looks back at their lagoon or leopard and says "what a pretty boat".

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
And you won't tell us what 50' production cruiser you have because your scared the majority of us will think she's butt ass ugly? Let's face it, there's butt ass ugly monos and there's butt ass ugly cats, but my guess is the majority of women would rather spend time on my butt ass ugly cat than your butt ass ugly mono.

Tags
hull, multihull

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: