Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2015, 06:00   #886

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Do Multihullers Ever go Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookiesailor View Post
And just as you are making generalities about boats so are you about women. I have been on both and I far prefer the monohulls
You prefer monohulls to women? Maybe you haven't been on the right one yet...

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:03   #887
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
You prefer monohulls to women? Maybe you haven't been on the right one yet...

Mark

The boat or the woman?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:06   #888

Boats are cheaper.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:07   #889

Boat: Passport 40

Mark,
I AM a woman! I was referring to multi Hulls!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brookiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:21   #890

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I don't believe this was Simon talking, I believe he was quoting Capt. Alan Hugenut's
I was quoting the good Captain, and find his writings informative and unbiased. More of his work can be found here. http://www.captainhugenot.com/

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:25   #891

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookiesailor View Post
Mark,
I AM a woman! I was referring to multi Hulls!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:47   #892
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
I was quoting the good Captain, and find his writings informative and unbiased. More of his work can be found here. Marine surveys, Captain Alan Hugenot San Francisco, CA Home

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I enjoy his writings but don't consider them unbiased as they are his opinion. The fact remains that monos and multis have about equal safety records offshore, something he didn't take into account.
I would like to consider myself unbiased, but then I know I would be lying to myself
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:10   #893
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I am never biased, and always honest. Therefore one of those two statements is a lie.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:01   #894

Boat: Beneteau First 265, 26.5 ft

I own Beneteau 265 - a mono... love her very much... If I think about this question relative our charter experiences.. we chartered 6 monos in a row - then chartered catamaran... then chartered a catamaran again... I personally prefer monohulls for charter but am out voted by the extended crew.

The problem though is that my extended crew come along not to sail, but to be driven around by the few of us that actually do sail. But they are good company, and friends, and family. Catamarans make sense to them so they can limit their exposure to the sailing aspects.

I don't grin nearly as much driving a catamaran as I do a monohull. Driving a catamaran is a job to me with little love in it.
hard-a-ground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 05:31   #895

Boat: Oyster 55

That's because you simply have not sailed the right multihull. Suggest you widen your horizons.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:11   #896

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I enjoy his writings but don't consider them unbiased as they are his opinion. The fact remains that monos and multis have about equal safety records offshore, something he didn't take into account.
I would like to consider myself unbiased, but then I know I would be lying to myself
Of course they are his opinion! He is a very knowledgeable NA and there for his opinion carries weight compared to say yours or mine. When you go to a Dr. all you get are opinions but we tend to accept them compared to the opinions of the person across the street. His opinions seem pretty balanced to me.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:46   #897

Boat: Beneteau First 265, 26.5 ft

Cara, you could be right. I started out with 12' catamaran when I was a kid...12 yrs? found that boat pretty simple, fast and boring. Then Leopard catamarans as charter boats. Sailing speed is there for sure... The deck space acreage underway worries me. I have been in a tropical storm with a mono-hull, it did what I wanted and went anywhere I wanted to go... yes to windward. I will need to test a multi-hull in similar conditions before I am a believer.
hard-a-ground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:55   #898

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

This is my view, leaning is sailing fun, leaning when cooking dinner or using the head isn't. When a boat is your home, sailing is secondary at best.
The answer is just get a small sailboat to go sailing, double duty it as your dinghy if space is an issue. Just think a hobie 16 that can disassemble easily...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard-a-ground View Post
I own Beneteau 265 - a mono... love her very much... If I think about this question relative our charter experiences.. we chartered 6 monos in a row - then chartered catamaran... then chartered a catamaran again... I personally prefer monohulls for charter but am out voted by the extended crew.

The problem though is that my extended crew come along not to sail, but to be driven around by the few of us that actually do sail. But they are good company, and friends, and family. Catamarans make sense to them so they can limit their exposure to the sailing aspects.

I don't grin nearly as much driving a catamaran as I do a monohull. Driving a catamaran is a job to me with little love in it.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:48   #899

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
If you are getting swayed by the multihull promoters on the subject of multi performance. better read this for a dose of reality:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...il-136972.html
It is all relative. There are some very fast multihulls out there, they are just a small fraction regarding the typical slower condo cat. Regarding monohulls and multihulls you really have to look at each boat to compare performance and the best way to have an idea is through handicap rating. Even the typical slower modern condo cat will be faster downwind than most older monohulls of the same size and probably a match or even slightly faster then most modern mass production main market monohulls. Off course, upwind the story will be other and most mono-hulls will be faster than condo cats.

On this test sail video Nigel Irens, the famous cat NA makes some very interesting comments about the performance of the typical condo cat (two separate occasions on the video), the type of multihulls that constitute the overwhelming majority of cruising multihulls :

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:06   #900
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard-a-ground View Post
Cara, you could be right. I started out with 12' catamaran when I was a kid...12 yrs? found that boat pretty simple, fast and boring. Then Leopard catamarans as charter boats. Sailing speed is there for sure... The deck space acreage underway worries me. I have been in a tropical storm with a mono-hull, it did what I wanted and went anywhere I wanted to go... yes to windward. I will need to test a multi-hull in similar conditions before I am a believer.
Remember that for 99% (and that figure is certainly at the low end), if they ever sail in a tropical storm it would be the result a major failure in seamanship. They wisely avoid tropical storms. And thus, for 99% of sailors, that is not a valid requirement, and more that 20" of ground clearance is a requirement for most automobiles. In fact, both requirements risk rendering them awful for their real purpose.

Tags
hull, multihull