Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2014, 20:46   #856

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch
Re: Do Multihullers Ever go Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzmeyer View Post
Once you accept an ugly woman is easier you never go back. Most comments about the advantages of a catamaran also apply to a condominium

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
LOL yes and they both go to weather equally well
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 00:05   #857

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
Unlike the old days, there are lots of beautiful and fast high performance cruising cats available now, like this 60' Schionning as just one example of many...

Or here: G-Force 1800
Yep. Monohulls are utterly boring. They all look exactly the same, popped out of the same jelly mould.

At least catamarans have some individuality. Like them or hate them, Lagoons don't look like Fontaine Pajots, or Leopards which don't look like Seawinds, which don't look like Katanas...

And the boredom extends into monohull sailing abilities... YAWN... you need time lapse photography to see if they're even moving... monohull sailors need to pay attention to plate techtonics - if that continent is drifting away from you, you might never catch it.. As for the much vaunted windward performance - garbage. The fastest boats on ANY and every point of sail are multihulls. We just sailed 50 miles to windward 2 hours faster than a group of monohulls, which we later discovered had been using their engines as well as their sails.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 12:13   #858

Boat: Cape Dory 25

This has been a very entertaining thread. I loved it as we are approaching our goal to sell everything and go cruising, I have sailed larger cats, 50' Prout. however always had monos. after going thru 2 wives I finally met a great girl that wants to sail. Now the hard part. she wants a cat and that's ok but money will be an issue. I think when everything is sold we will be looking at boat price close to 100k and still have some money left over for cruising. I imagine we can get a cat in that price range? I can do either however we plan on spending time in the Chesapeake and the shallow draft of a cat is mighty appealing. I still have three years God willing to make that decision.
Thanks for the great info. I love all the witty comments.
Thanks again
fishsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 17:27   #859

Is there a point or issue here?
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 17:31   #860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
RKsailsolo,
Please do not listen to a word I said about catamarans. If I were you I would get a mono and go sailing. No worries mate.

Also, I like having all the woman on my boat and not yours.
You will learn the lesson I learned the hard way
Cotemar claims a cat like his brings in more ladies! IS this correct??
Old 29-01-2015, 17:37   #861
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsail View Post
This has been a very entertaining thread. I loved it as we are approaching our goal to sell everything and go cruising, I have sailed larger cats, 50' Prout. however always had monos. after going thru 2 wives I finally met a great girl that wants to sail. Now the hard part. she wants a cat and that's ok but money will be an issue. I think when everything is sold we will be looking at boat price close to 100k and still have some money left over for cruising. I imagine we can get a cat in that price range? I can do either however we plan on spending time in the Chesapeake and the shallow draft of a cat is mighty appealing. I still have three years God willing to make that decision.
Thanks for the great info. I love all the witty comments.
Thanks again
I am on wife #3. THIS one likes to sail. Ten years together so far. She wanted a cat. We got one.
Old 29-01-2015, 17:43   #862

Re: Do multihullers ever go back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
One thing I seldom see mentioned is that while I do get the occasional ding when sailing my cat it seems like every time I go out on a friend's monohull I wind up with cuts, scrapes, bumps, and bruises and I can not figure out where they came from. There is lots more room to walk up to fore deck and lots more room up there. I seldom go below on my cat when sailing since the cockpit and salon are undivided and there is a huge area out of the sun to sit or lie down.

Not saying I do not like monohulls but for an old guy like me a cat is much easier on my weak tired body.
You deserve a beating for wearing that stupid mask and hat!
Old 30-01-2015, 12:05   #863

And the multihulls ability to sail in light wind without the expense and noise of having to fire up the engine is a HUGE advantage over mono's that few mention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
We just sailed 50 miles to windward 2 hours faster than a group of monohulls, which we later discovered had been using their engines as well as their sails.
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 12:37   #864

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
And the multihulls ability to sail in light wind without the expense and noise of having to fire up the engine is a HUGE advantage over mono's that few mention.
so, it is not just me observing these monos having engine on when it is sailing time ?! Maybe they just heat the water.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 13:43   #865
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Excuse me, but I am sure it has been mentioned somewhere in the last 58 pages that some mono cruisers sail well in light winds, especially with a code 0 or similar sail up...Not all monos are dogs in the water and not all cats can be beached. Lets not make too many generalities.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 14:44   #866

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Excuse me, but I am sure it has been mentioned somewhere in the last 58 pages that some mono cruisers sail well in light winds, especially with a code 0 or similar sail up...Not all monos are dogs in the water and not all cats can be beached. Lets not make too many generalities.
monos win sub 10 kn wind any point of sail , cats win >20 kn of wind any point of sail, comparing similarly priced, at least my experience.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 20:52   #867

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Ever chased an F boat or a Dragonfly with your Lagoon?

In light wind in our DF, we do horizon jobs on lots of monos and the typical charter cat whereas F boats of equal length leave us in their (very small) wakes.

At anchor, the F boat owners go gaga over our fridge/freezer, watermaker, forced air heat, solar etc. It's all relative.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 11:28   #868

Here is just one example of how a good multihull can ghost in a zephyr...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
so, it is not just me observing these monos having engine on when it is sailing time ?! Maybe they just heat the water.
Old 31-01-2015, 11:31   #869

You'd be pleasantly surprised at how well a multi with good deep foils can claw to windward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
LOL yes and they both go to weather equally well
Old 31-01-2015, 15:48   #870

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

If you are getting swayed by the multihull promoters on the subject of multi performance. better read this for a dose of reality:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...il-136972.html
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, multihull