Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 13:48   #826

Re: Do Multihullers Ever go Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Your offshore inexperience is showing--have you ever had to deal with getting an MPS down singlehanded in the middle of the night in a 35 knot squall? When you are not at your best, having averaged about 2 hours sleep for the last 4 days (read Rebel Heart's comments on sleep deprivation)?? What is your wife/GF going to do when you get pulled overboard by the damn thing?
Simply don't use the spinnaker at night. We always reduce sail at night.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 14:00   #827

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
A typical Qld marina. I count at least 20 cats in this location alone.

http://www.camcopng.com/images/mooloolaba.jpg
Typical? Well, maybe. It appears to be the Mooloolaba YC, which fairly recently added a finger with berths specifically designed for multis. Not many Qld marinas have done so.

And yes, there are around twenty obvious multihulls there... and over 100 monos.

So, I'm not sure what you are trying to illustrate with the photo. There are a lot of multihull yachts in Queensland. It is an ideal venue for them, and if I was only going to cruise there I would very seriously consider one. But because I venture to many other areas, I have preferred to stay with a monohull. This could change in the future... who can say?

Frankly, all the nattering and defensive postures assumed in this and similar threads isn't very illuminating. The desirability of one type over the other is highly dependent upon the type of sailing one does, the size and competence of the crew, the proposed sailing areas and the fiscal abilities of the owner. I become weary of the "you are a fool if you don't sail the same type of boat that I do" diatribes that proponents of both types vent. There is a place, yea, a good place, for both types in the cruising world. Why can't we accept that and get o n with some more useful discussions?

And it seems that to answer the OP's query, yes, some folks go from multi to mono, but not a big number. Some don't take to the motion, some have changes in their requirements.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 02-06-2014, 14:11   #828

Yes Jim, the question has well and truly been answered long ago. That hasn't stopped the usual crowd (who almost universally have never actually sailed on a large cruising multihull) from telling us that our boats are dangerous, unseaworthy, uncomfortable, slow and ugly though. It seems nothing ever does.
Old 02-06-2014, 14:16   #829

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
And yes, there are around twenty obvious multihulls there... and over 100 monos.

So, I'm not sure what you are trying to illustrate with the photo.
Just pointing out that donradcliffe's "lesss than 3% of the monos" is not universal.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 14:22   #830
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Yes Jim, the question has well and truly been answered long ago. That hasn't stopped the usual crowd (who almost universally have never actually sailed on a large cruising multihull) from telling us that our boats are dangerous, unseaworthy, uncomfortable, slow and ugly though. It seems nothing ever does.
Ugly? Whaddya mean ugly........ dem is beautiful........

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 14:28   #831
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post

I find your boat to be all of the above. But for penny's on the dollar I would be happy to relieve you of your boat, which by now I'm sure feels like an anchor tied around your ankle. I know I know, such a generous offer but hey, I'm a kind hearted generous kind of guy:-).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 19:50   #832

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Controlling a spinnaker in daylight can be too much to handle. Seen Saturday:

Old 02-06-2014, 19:55   #833
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Controlling a spinnaker in daylight can be too much to handle. Seen Saturday:

I'm with you on this one Mark. I to would not want to run a spinnaker on a monohull. Dangerous proposition!

smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 20:51   #834

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I'm with you on this one Mark. I to would not want to run a spinnaker on a monohull. Dangerous proposition!
What? They're in no danger. Bet they wished they put figure-eight knots on the spinnaker sheets so they wouldn't leave the cockpit. And if they turned upwind, they might have been able to grab the sheets.
Old 02-06-2014, 20:58   #835

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40

"....
You dont have a weather window, Your in it, End of story, Computers, Phones, Internet,
Only work to about 12 miles off shore,

Beyond that, Its Pure Bliss, No contact with any one,

Passing ships will give you weather info, If you ask, VHF, Thats it Brother,
"End Quote

Going offshore one should really have SSB or Satellite. We certainly download a new 5-day GRIB every 24-hours on each crossing.

The GRIB includes:
- wind speed and direction
- pressure
- wave height, direction and period
- cloud cover
- precepitation
- CAPE "Convective Available Potential Energy"

That way we stay out of trouble and do not become and expensive SAR case.
roetter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 22:45   #836

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

The other side to the weather here, If you go out on Port Phillip or Western Port Bay today,

You will need a motor, Its Dead Calm and no wind,

I wouldnt be surprised if you couldnt paddle a ski board across Bass Straight today, As it is the same weather as both Bays, The 3 of them are connected,

Therein lays the trap,

Its amazing how many people get caught out by those Mill Pond Conditions, and not even

be aware of how bad it can become so quickly,

I prepare for the worst conditions I could ever get caught in, Anything less is a Breeze,

Land or Sea, I know which way I am going, I dont even need a compass for it,

This Boat is the first one that even had a compass on it, And yes, I have been out of sight of land with out anything to navigate with, or a radio,,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 23:38   #837

MarkPierce

Its is not considered good practice to put figure 8 knots in spinnaker sheets. Its good practice for headsails but when the day comes when you want to turn the spinny into a flag you want to get rid of it.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 23:48   #838

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
MarkPierce

Its is not considered good practice to put figure 8 knots in spinnaker sheets. Its good practice for headsails but when the day comes when you want to turn the spinny into a flag you want to get rid of it.
Yep, that's how I was taught when I first started crewing on OPB long ago. I was also taught to never let both the sheet and the guy go at the same time!

Perhaps the hapless chap in the embarrassing photo missed the second point. But turning upwind brings it back within reach... usually before it shreds itself.

Back when I was racing on SF bay, there was a famous photographer named Diane Beeston (sp?) who roamed the bay looking for photo ops just like that poor guy. She had an uncanny knack for being in the right place at the right time for such events. Whenever we saw her boat lurking in the area we tried to raise our game to our best efforts... didn't want to appear in her next book of colossal f-ups!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 09-06-2014, 09:44   #839
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

You would have found me this weekend in the middle of the Bristol Channel on a Centaur with #3 nephew, me and my lady friend. I wasnt going to be there but he wanted to finish checking the tension on the rigging and do a small sail and for that he required my presence.

We had a great time. A little rain, some sun, good conditions and got chance to test the diesel. Small adjustments here and there, (changed a seal on the water strainer), wired up the Radar to the power, checked the battery charging circuit, filled the diesel tank, adjusted some tracking etc.

I REALLy enjoyed the day out.

However, I could not help comparing it to being on a Catamaran. We would have had more room, less heel, wheel steering, inside outside communication on same level, gentler motion, a feel of a big boat.....

I tried.. I REALLY tried to settle for a mono.... for days out yes.. for extended? No.....

Cant go back. Sorry mr Haber.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 14:09   #840

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I find your boat to be all of the above. But for penny's on the dollar I would be happy to relieve you of your boat, which by now I'm sure feels like an anchor tied around your ankle. I know I know, such a generous offer but hey, I'm a kind hearted generous kind of guy:-).

Thanks, but I'll just carry the burden.

Tags
hull, multihull