Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2014, 15:21   #586
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Do Multihullers Ever go Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Do catamaran sailors carry double barreled side by side shotguns?
Only the ones from the great state of Texas! Honestly....never owned a gun.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 16:12   #587

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Hardly a Jeanneau with wings monkey...that is an extremely well built aircraft that few can rival.
Blech. Horrible mushy side stick. I found it boring to fly. I thought I'd love it. Sort of like the first time I sailed a Lagoon. All flashy, but no feel to it. A real let down for me.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 16:17   #588
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Blech. Horrible mushy side stick. I found it boring to fly. I thought I'd love it. Sort of like the first time I sailed a Lagoon. All flashy, but no feel to it. A real let down for me.
Its a fly by computer aircraft. Made for commercial pilots who want similar in their private plane. Its one I can never afford but did the endorsement anyway. If I had learned in one I think I would be more in tune with it. I didnt fall in love with it but respect its capabilities.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 16:42   #589
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Re: Do multihullers ever go back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
One thing I seldom see mentioned is that while I do get the occasional ding when sailing my cat it seems like every time I go out on a friend's monohull I wind up with cuts, scrapes, bumps, and bruises and I can not figure out where they came from. There is lots more room to walk up to fore deck and lots more room up there. I seldom go below on my cat when sailing since the cockpit and salon are undivided and there is a huge area out of the sun to sit or lie down.

Not saying I do not like monohulls but for an old guy like me a cat is much easier on my weak tired body.
I'd say it comes from lack of coordination.
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 17:07   #590

Boat: Valiant 50

OK.. Here's one. Not sure any of the other "experts" on this thread have actually gone back.

I changed back from a multi to a mono for many reasons.

Haul out availability being the the primary one - try finding somewhere to haul out when you need to have your sail drive repaired. In our case there was no one for 300 miles, and the yard knew it. The subsequent fiscal raping convinced me I needed to be able to haul out anywhere there was a travel lift of any dimension.

I still like multi hulls, actually, I like all sailboats - each has their quirks. Multis are not perfect unless maybe you have 70 foot Gunboat and a full time crew employed. And of course, neither are mono's unless its a Perrini Navi.

Were I to change boats, I would definitely include multis in my search criteria (along with monos).

What I can say, is that the mono has a far gentler motion in a seaway - call it being more sea kindly if you will, but it is definitely easier to move around the boat when underway, more so when going to windward. Nigel Irens that noted multi designer has said the same thing himself.

I do miss the volume and space and airiness of a multi.

As far as walking up and down stairs go, yes it is true - paradoxically, you will do more climbing up and down stairs in a multi than in a mono, At least, that has been the experience of two old farts with bad knees - we notice stuff like that.

Either way, both will give you lots of pleasure.
Old 12-05-2014, 17:16   #591
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Its a fly by computer aircraft. Made for commercial pilots who want similar in their private plane. Its one I can never afford but did the endorsement anyway. If I had learned in one I think I would be more in tune with it. I didnt fall in love with it but respect its capabilities.
I dunno. It looked like an upside-down jeanneau 379 to me:

SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 17:31   #592
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie View Post
OK.. Here's one. Not sure any of the other "experts" on this thread have actually gone back.

Haul out availability being the the primary one - try finding somewhere to haul out when you need to have your sail drive repaired. In our case there was no one for 300 miles, and the yard knew it. The subsequent fiscal raping convinced me I needed to be able to haul out anywhere there was a travel lift of any dimension.

I still like multi hulls, actually, I like all sailboats - each has their quirks. Multis are not perfect unless maybe you have 70 foot Gunboat and a full time crew employed. And of course, neither are mono's unless its a Perrini Navi.

Were I to change boats, I would definitely include multis in my search criteria (along with monos).

What I can say, is that the mono has a far gentler motion in a seaway - call it being more sea kindly if you will, but it is definitely easier to move around the boat when underway, more so when going to windward. Nigel Irens that noted multi designer has said the same thing himself.

As far as walking up and down stairs go, yes it is true - paradoxically, you will do more climbing up and down stairs in a multi than in a mono, At least, that has been the experience of two old farts with bad knees - we notice stuff like that.

What size multihull length and width did you have? What cruising area?
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 18:16   #593

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
Personally after owning a floating teak forest for over 15 years I have rejoiced in something other than wood.Solid wood interior, teak decks, 6" teak toerail circling a 50 foot boat. Teak does not take care of itself. I used to call it a "labor of love" but honestly I felt like a prisoner at times. In my hours and hours of sanding and varnishing I would often state my next boat will be made of fiberglass and stainless steel and that is what I got. As far as that labor of love goes I can only equate it to the lyrics of a song that says "Love is but a burning ember".
If I yearn for the "warmth of wood" I will buy a frigging log cabin!
Cardow,

My view also.

I personally dislike the all timber finishes in many vessels. Prefer a gel coated finish for its easy low maintaince and easy to clean. Looking at a timber finish inside says work to me when there is enough with the systems of most vessels.

One of the pluses for the Voyage cats is their durable low maint internal finish and clearly the charter makers like this also. You might comment about the finish in your vessel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Voyage interior.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	81072  
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 18:21   #594

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie View Post

DITTO! I had my 36 ft Woods Cat docked in a Bayou filled with silt as there were no other docks available-good thing boat had kick-up rudders! The City of Clearwater built a large Marina in a prime spot on the ICW recently -----they built zero docks for cats! You could go to the their old marina and rent 2 slips for big bucks.($1200) I now have a Brewer 12.8 mono beauty docked at a house for $275 a month!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3306.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	81073  
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 18:24   #595

by the way- pic of boat is of her without centerboard!! PO threw it away as it made clunk clunk. Look close and you can detect it sliding sideways! I fixed that with a new board and mods to make it work!
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 18:36   #596
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

So if you had a purchase budget of USD 1 million..... What would you buy and why?
Photos please!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 18:42   #597

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
For well over the week? The accident happened 8 days ago and they were rescued the boat was almost sunk. They say the boat sunk.

Lagoon 500 affonda: Lagoon 500 affonda, Sailing Anarchy dice, non comprate Lagoon

Do you have any other source that says the opposite?

This is only relevant because some on this thread made a big fuss about catamarans being unsinkable. Here you have another, also on the last days in Sardinia. It sunk on low waters and was kept floating (barely) with floaters while being towed to a beach.

Yes when everything works fine they are maintained afloat by air or foam chambers (like some monohulls) unfortunately things don't go always as expected and those chambers can be breached.
Polux,
You are right they were taken off their vessel in the early hours of 3rd May. Seems like old news here being so close to the event.

Five people rescued from sinking catamaran off south-east Queensland coast - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

I certainly don't consider Lagoons the best of cats in a water ingress situation. They are one of the heavier designs with lots of machinery and meaning that they will float relatively low in the water compared with many of the Australian/NZ designed sandwich construction catamarans.

From others recent unfortunate experiences we also know there is some difficulty inspecting hulls with their internal liners with Lagoons.

Polux, you are certainly researching cats well and have highlighted some of the issues with the production cats. Surely you must be doing this as you may well be considering a cat purchase yourself in the future??

You seem to avoid a response to this question.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 18:42   #598
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
So if you had a purchase budget of USD 1 million..... What would you buy and why?
Photos please!
Oh crap i HATE it when you do that. Now I'm not gonna sleep/
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 18:53   #599
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

This thread has got seriously sad..
Gonna go do a MENSA test... just to make sure I'VE SOME BRAIN CELLS LEFT....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 18:59   #600
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
This thread has got seriously sad..
Gonna go do a MENSA test... just to make sure I'VE SOME BRAIN CELLS LEFT....
Understand..... Which is why the only real comparison starts with identical purchase power.... Then what is considered most suitable for the buyer's needs.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, multihull