Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2014, 17:10   #451
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Do Multihullers Ever go Back?

Last patient came and went. 1 am UK time. Tired out.

I just had one of those subconscious moments of realisation.

We dont HAVE to choose between monohulls and Multihulls for sailing on.

We just choose which boat we PREFER for a certain situation. Ive been saying that on here in bits and pieces but......... the reality is there is not a choice to "go back"....... I never left. I just chose to have a Catamaran for living on. Its a type of boat and I like it.

I like them a lot.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 17:44   #452

Boat: Oyster 55

donradcliffe you are correct and it was a voyage cat that flipped but without knowing exactly what was going on it is difficult to blame the boat. Apparently they went out with a known approaching storm and anything else is conjecture. Remember Capt. Walbridge? Although I will admit it was not a hurricane but non-the-less maybe a little reservation would have saved 3 lives.
Similarly an Atlantic 57 flipped on its way to Australia a few years ago.
I am not sure where you are coming from with that statement other that perpetuating the monohull vs. multihull debate. Something I refuse to get involved with.
also colemj thank you for your clarification.
the reality is that I do not think of my boat as a performance multihull ( whatever that means) but maybe something in between.
I guess a performance multihull is something that goes upwind like a performance monohull and can reach 20 kts downwind?
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 18:29   #453
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Sports cars are a lot of fun. Unless you have to live in your vehicle.

We bought the Winnnebago.
Old 10-05-2014, 20:28   #454

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
er......... Id be happier on this than a monohull..

ki

Caradow, this is the kind of crap the multihull promoters put out--a story about a multi surviving a cyclone while sipping tea, with videos of no wind-driven spume, waves less than 3 meters, etc. This makes people like Weavis buy into the fantasy that cats can go anywhere with relative safety.

I made the posts to try to bring the dreamers back to reality. Cats may be OK for the milk run and the tropics out of cyclone season, but they are vulnerable to disasters in heavy weather.

You at least have some experience offshore with both cats and monos, so I'll put the question to you--in storm (F9-10) conditions, would you honestly be more comfortable and feel safer in your V440 or your previous Little Harbor 50??

PS, I'm boatless, so have no vested interest in Cats or Monos.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 21:30   #455

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
ki

Caradow, this is the kind of crap the multihull promoters put out--a story about a multi surviving a cyclone while sipping tea, with videos of no wind-driven spume, waves less than 3 meters, etc. This makes people like Weavis buy into the fantasy that cats can go anywhere with relative safety.

I made the posts to try to bring the dreamers back to reality. Cats may be OK for the milk run and the tropics out of cyclone season, but they are vulnerable to disasters in heavy weather.

You at least have some experience offshore with both cats and monos, so I'll put the question to you--in storm (F9-10) conditions, would you honestly be more comfortable and feel safer in your V440 or your previous Little Harbor 50??

Well, we recently had a Hans Christian that ripped open its hull-deck joint from a single knockdown in F5-6 conditions.

Where will you take, and what will you make of that?

BTW, that V440 on the beach knowingly launched itself into one of the worst storms of the year to make a delivery schedule. Even the fishing fleet pulled into harbor for that one. What do you make of that? Would a (pick your monohull model) have also survived?

Sounds like you have a little interest still…

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 21:48   #456

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
SNIP

I'll put the question to you--in storm (F9-10) conditions, would you honestly be more comfortable and feel safer in your V440 or your previous Little Harbor 50??

SNIP
A while back there was a similar thread with some back and forth about monohulls or cats being better in heavy weather. Till someone posted they sailed on a commercial ship over six hundred feet long and wondered why folks were arguing over who was the tallest midget in the room.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 21:51   #457

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I've never not wished for an extra 600' when the weather goes south!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 21:56   #458

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
A while back there was a similar thread with some back and forth about monohulls or cats being better in heavy weather. Till someone posted they sailed on a commercial ship over six hundred feet long and wondered why folks were arguing over who was the tallest midget in the room.
Sounds like me but it wasn't.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 22:47   #459

Boat: Oyster 55

Well donradcliffe you ask a very difficult question!
I want to say my cat but HONESTLY I would have to choose my Little Harbor for those horrendous conditions. I say this with some reservation in that I am a newcomer to cats and have never experienced anything stronger than high 30's in my cat. However I did experienced microbursts to probably 70 in my Little Harbor off the coast of New Jersey when bringing my boat up from Florida. I say "probably 70" because we were knocked down when we were ok at 55 when we got a very short burst that laid us on side for awhile which seemed like an eternity. She came back up nicely and we continued on our way. Obviously the waves were not large like they would have been in a real storm however. Give me a few more years in multihulls and I might change my mind but I have to be honest with you.
I would hope I never have to tell anyone about experiencing a Hurricane while out at sea. I suspect their are those on this forum who have and I would love to hear their comments.
As a side line I have a sailing buddy who while in the merchant marines went through a Cat 5 Typhoon in the South China Sea. When he told me the story I made the comment that he was lucky to have been on a big ship. And he quickly answered that he would have rather been on a small boat. Then of course I asked him why and he got a very serious look in his eye and stated that in a small boat you can't really see what it looks like
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:04   #460
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
ki

donradcliffe. it is always best to know what a person does for a living and what experience they have in life before making assumptions. For that reason I will merely state that your inaccurate assesment of both catamarans as a seaworthy vessel, and my abilities to differentiate fantasy from reality is not appreciated.

There is, or was, a friendly banter in this thread, which sadly diminished when some people, including yourself, have made snide and pointed one side comments deliberately to stir up dissention to assert Catamarans are not safe or a viable sea going vessel.

The fact that you are boatless does not confer a lack of vested interest in Cats or Monos. It merely means you are without a boat.

YOu are perfectly entitled to your own opinion but please do not make a false statement that you are ambivelent about which hull you prefer.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:42   #461

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Cool down weavis You seem to take other peoples opinions too personally IMHO
BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:45   #462
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Cool down weavis You seem to take other peoples opinions too personally IMHO
BR Teddy
There is a difference between taking an opinion personally and watching someone deliberately push an agenda whilst denying it all the time.......
Old 11-05-2014, 03:01   #463
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Do Multihullers Ever go Back?

Both mono's and Cat's are capable of Pitchpoling.. both are capable of Broaching and being flipped..
In the majority of case's its not down to the type of boat but human error.. a dickhead is a dickhead...
Even Wharrams.. one of the most stable cats going due to low windage and minimum solid bridge deck can be flipped if you sail it beam on in big sea's and strong winds..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:11   #464
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

a sister ship to our old Catalac survived the Queen's Birthday Storm in 94.

I thought this was a pretty interesting writeup about the specific boats in that storm:
Multihull Dynamics, Inc. - News Article

including three catamarans.

I think I'll stay with this old boat. The fact that people have to start reaching for 600 ft. comparisons makes me smile.

Weavis, don't sweat the old hard core monohull folks. WHen they can afford the other half of their boats, they'll start to mellow out.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:29   #465
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Both mono's and Cat's are capable of Pitchpoling.. both are capable of Broaching and being flipped..
In the majority of case's its not down to the type of boat but human error.. a dickhead is a dickhead...
Even Wharrams.. one of the most stable cats going due to low windage and minimum solid bridge deck can be flipped if you sail it beam on in big sea's and strong winds..
My last motor boat was 40ish foot long. To the best of my financial abilities it was fitted with all the aids (and more) required for safe passaging.
However as Boatie says, this is to a lesser extent, not as important as SAFE HANDLING of the vessel. I had my boat delivered from Miami to Sarasota Florida.

The Skipper told me of a certain 'characteristic' he had experienced whilst picking up a friend of mine from the Keys.

He "highly recommended" a total avoidance in turning the vessel a certain way in a heavy state and showed me how to negate the effects of a beam on sea with engine thrust and continued angle of turning. As long as I did it that way... the boat behaved like a lady. If I didnt...... it was unpleasant and potentially a capsize in severe weather.

I dont believe any vessel is unsinkable. Its just that some float.

Tags
hull, multihull