Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2017, 13:23   #1

Do I Look Pretty? Or Are You Lonely?

No? Then why the #%^* you gotta come in here and anchor all up right next to me?

I couldn't help but notice you draw two feet less than me and could basically park anywhere in this anchorage. Seriously, there is room for like a dozen boats in here but there are only a handful of us right now.

If I wanted to hang out in a crowd I wouldn't have left NYC and come to this secluded spot miles from civilization. Don't you think less than two boat lengths is a little close?

Please don't wait for the tide to swing and for me to start blaring my horn at you. Me telling you I only had sixty feet of rode down was a nice way of saying we're in eight feet of water and you are too close. In four hours when you are on top of me I will honk incessantly.

Move now. Everyone will sleep much better for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1272.jpg
Views:	692
Size:	405.3 KB
ID:	141850  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 13:28   #2

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Re: Do I Look Pretty? Or Are You Lonely?

Well, if you picked the crappiest spot, move to a good one? Just sayin...
Old 23-02-2017, 13:30   #3

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

He is leaving space for the next one to come drop right in front and pay out over your line. oh! and "your the ***" if you say something.
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 13:33   #4

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version

I'm lonely.. Wife won't be here for several weeks.. Can't we just be friends? You looked lonely too, I thought I would do us both a favor.
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 13:38   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Delancey,

Obviously, you looked like you picked the best spot in the area, so the other guy wanted to be as close as possible to that good, safe, good holding spot.

It's really common, an example of the herd instinct, I bet. We knew some people who used to arrive early and anchor where they wanted the other guys to go, then up anchored and moved to the outer place where they wanted to be all along! All part of the "Anchoring Follies".

If you think they're unsafely close, just ask them to move, if they're rude, then you leave, even though it's a PITA. Having an electric windlass makes moving less difficult than if you have to get the anchor up by hand.

Ann
Old 23-02-2017, 13:40   #6

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

This time of year, I have the same issue with the "Weekend Warriors" that come over from SXM and anchor in Road Bay Anguilla. Makes no sense to me why these people wish to anchor right next to you when there is plenty of other wet real estate available. I also have them drop their hook right over my gear to where you have to have them move just to get to your mooring. I guess they figure the ball is a fish pot or whatever. However, it does make for pretty good entertainment from time to time watching these idiots in their rented cats set out 40' of chain and drag it around trying to get the anchor to set. I've seen them hook other boat's anchors, and mooring gear while trying to set their anchors. You would think they would understand the need for proper scope, but I guess that is one thing that the bare boat companies fail to instruct their clients on..
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 14:00   #7

[QUOTE=Ann T. Cate;

If you think they're unsafely close, just ask them to move, if they're rude, then you leave, even though it's a PITA. Having an electric windlass makes moving less difficult than if you have to get the anchor up by hand.

Ann[/QUOTE]

I think Ann is right
Yes .... it's rude...... but
Unfortunately we do not own the area that we inhabit !
I found that my familiar haunts allowed me to go to the area in the anchorage that would not be the first choice for a ' new comer'
Kinda lessens the chance of a reposition away from the uncouth
Hoofsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 14:04   #8

Boat: Colegate 26

Reminds me of a time a friend and I went to the movie theater and we were the first ones in and the next pair comes in and sits directly next to us, not even leaving a single empty seat. I dared my friend to reach over and get a handful of popcorn but he wouldn't do it. So we moved and sat in front of them.

Is there some protocol for letting others in the cove know that you're wanting alone time or looking for a social gathering, other than announcing on the radio? Maybe a set of flags? Throw your car keys in the bowl, sort of thing. Wink wink, nudge nudge, rowwrrr
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 14:15   #9

Boat: Leopard 39

I believe polite communication serves us all best. Don't wait for near collision. Go talk to your neighbor and explain why you're uncomfortable with his (or her) choice of anchorage, and the longstanding protocol of first come, work around me. It's a chance to educate, and he may just thank you for it and ask for your recommendation of a better spot. Why eat YOUR stomach lining? Worst case, he'll be an arrogant jerk and you'll have to move. Get it over with and behind you, you'll feel better.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 14:29   #10

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post

Is there some protocol for letting others in the cove know that you're wanting alone time or looking for a social gathering, other than announcing on the radio? Maybe a set of flags? Throw your car keys in the bowl, sort of thing. Wink wink, nudge nudge, rowwrrr
Catapult mounted on the foredeck with a series of catamaran graphics down the sides of the bow with red x's through them
Old 23-02-2017, 14:41   #11

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
Catapult mounted on the foredeck with a series of catamaran graphics down the sides of the bow with red x's through them
Road Warrior (Mad Max II) spikes all along your hull, especially near the WL, & an ANTI-Riding Sail. One that makes your boat slew about wildly when anchored.

Conducting Skeet practice around cocktail hour might work too.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 18:32   #12

Boat: 1973 Morgan OI 41'

I have numerous Appalachian methods for making other people to not want to be near me. In this case, I would just say "move back and give us some room you $!#/^". Then buy em a beer.
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 18:44   #13

Boat: Cascade 36

Two Step Solution

Step 1:Figure out what Yacht Club that burgee is from.

Step 2: Contact that Yacht Club and offer to give/email the entire membership a picture tutorial on Anchoring Etiquette.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 18:51   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Had that happen to me once when a 40 foot sailboat came in and anchored right smack in front of me. I decided to move and had to ask them to move their boat as it was sitting well over my anchor. I had more road out of course.

Probably like the boat that anchored in front of me that it was someone else just getting going. Oh a pack mentality.

It's a pain in the.... somewhere.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 19:28   #15

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Had a crew member like that who thought he was Gods gift to sailing. I'd ask him to drive up to a spot well away from others but he just couldn't do it. Every time I let him drive the boat in any anchorage, we would end up too close to someone.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote