Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 14:53   #121

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Do Hunters Make Good Bluewater / Liveaboard Boats ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
At one point in my life i owned a Caper Cat it was a great little 14foot catamaran that had a bouyancy float at masthead, sounds like that idea might be good for those boats if the scanner was inside it ROFLMAO :-)
Well, that buoyancy float would prevent the small cat to turn turtle but would not bring it upright. Any modern mono-hull cruiser will have the capacity to right itself up from a severe knock down.

Tell me do you have also a buoyancy float on top of your cat mast
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 15:00   #122

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Well, that buoyancy float would prevent the small cat to turn turtle but would not bring it upright. Any modern mono-hull cruiser will have the capacity to right itself up from a severe knock down.

Tell me do you have also a buoyancy float on top of your cat mast
More ROFLMAO maybe if filled with Helium.....
Yer wouldn't that be a big float........
Probably some idiot has tried it!!!
Old 14-12-2011, 18:23   #123
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
I love the roll bars on the back of some of the Hunters - great for mounting stuff and hanging on to!

I make great use of my roll bar. I know Hunter isn't the only one with an incredibly useful toe rail but I make GREAT use of my toe rail.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 18:26   #124
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I don't feel any of these type threads benefit anyone by trashing the orginal asked about boat, or for that matter any boat.

In the end all boats can do 95+% of any sailing one would what it to do and we know it's the boat fitout for it's use and the decision made by the owners. Low quality in today's market would ave been considered very high quality 20 years ago (pretty much hold true for any product made). Everyone wants something diferent in "their" boat which is normally beyound what they "need" to do the job.

In the end you should find a boat model you like and research it with most credit given to people who have or have had the model. Arm chair opinions about boats that that a person has never been on is worth less than what you paid for it.

Whatever boat a person has; they came up with some basis to themselves as to why they choose it.

Well, I disagree with you, Don. I have already made my choice -- and it's a Hunter -- but it does not hurt to hear someone else discuss the pros and cons. In fact, it benefits me. While not everyone will know what they're talking about, I'm pretty good at figuring that out, as I have a Hunter for comparison purposes.

I haven't read a thread here yet I didn't learn from.
Old 14-12-2011, 18:44   #125
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Well, I disagree with you, Don. I have already made my choice -- and it's a Hunter -- but it does not hurt to hear someone else discuss the pros and cons. In fact, it benefits me. While not everyone will know what they're talking about, I'm pretty good at figuring that out, as I have a Hunter for comparison purposes.

I haven't read a thread here yet I didn't learn from.

So you are saying it does benefit someone by trashing a boat?
Old 14-12-2011, 19:11   #126
cruiser

Quote:
So you are saying it does benefit someone by trashing a boat?

I'm capable of picking out the kernels, but I recall your post as saying that the whole thread was pointless (not your exact words). There will always be posts that you, or I, or someone else, do not find useful ... but the thread as a whole has been useful to me. Your mileage may vary.
Old 14-12-2011, 20:43   #127

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

@elliebell - Yes
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 03:42   #128

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
I make great use of my roll bar. I know Hunter isn't the only one with an incredibly useful toe rail but I make GREAT use of my toe rail.
I like the roll bar on the new Hunter 50 I just got off of but was sad to see NO toe rail, at least not one you could tie anything to just a small one molded into the deck. Take a look..

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3719.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	426.3 KB
ID:	34793
Old 15-12-2011, 04:18   #129

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
“The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.” William Arthur Ward
Nice. and I would add, the good sailors adjust the sails and prepare the boat for the eventuality of bad weather ahead.

Manuel
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 04:23   #130
CLOD

Quote:
I'm capable of picking out the kernels, but I recall your post as saying that the whole thread was pointless (not your exact words). .

You should reread it then because I don't feel I said that at all.

I've taken more flack than most the past year or so in defending the "production" boats. Most of these threads just give a chance for various armchair experts to give "reasons", of which they don't really have knowledge or real experience, as why some boat is crap.
Old 15-12-2011, 04:26   #131

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
More ROFLMAO maybe if filled with Helium.....
Yer wouldn't that be a big float........
Probably some idiot has tried it!!!
Actually, that was one of Donald Crowhurst's ideas and is covered in the book "The Last Strange Voyage of Donald Crowhurst".

Donald Crowhurst - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 15-12-2011, 04:36   #132

Boat: Seafarer 26
I agree you buy a bought for the intended use. I have met more the one couple who have crossed oceans more then once. One of them insisted on a 40' foot plus steel hull and the other a Halsey 6 ft draft. Today they are basically coastal and Carib cruisers so they traded off the deep keel boats for coastal shallow draft boats. I am not saying right or wrong just what experience has done.

As for Hunters I have heard the comments about them from owners too. Good looking boat but do all those cabin portals leak? Just wondering where all the hunter trashing came from? We have a guy in our sail squadron that complains about stuff breaking alot. Last month he had to us an emergency tiller to get across the bay. That is a late model 340.
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 05:23   #133
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkdoyle View Post

As for Hunters I have heard the comments about them from owners too. Good looking boat but do all those cabin portals leak?

On my now 11 year old boat ............... no ports or windows leak and none have been resealed/rebedded.
Old 15-12-2011, 05:34   #134

Boat: Catalina 34

Although I am a fan of traditional salty-looking boats, I appreciate that Hunter is willing to strive for innovation and unique design. Examples include the B&R rig, the traveler arch, the Vision line (freestanding mast), the Edge, the 27e...
Old 15-12-2011, 05:41   #135
cruiser

Quote:
You should reread it then because I don't feel I said that at all.

I've taken more flack than most the past year or so in defending the "production" boats. Most of these threads just give a chance for various armchair experts to give "reasons", of which they don't really have knowledge or real experience, as why some boat is crap.

I find ALL the comments here useful. One of my best friend intensely dislikes my boat because it has swept-back spreaders. But I looked around, and the sailors I knew who had them didn't find them to be a problem. Someone I know with essentially the same boat as mine won a PHRF season first place on his boat. And, I don't like to run with the wind. It's hot and boring. I know how to jybe safely, and if conditions just don't advise it, I'm not racing and can just do a 270.

For my friend, it would have been a deal-breaker. It was also "armchair criticism," but it was still valuable. I learned a lot from our discussions about it, and I made an more informed choice about my boat.

And, he has a point. If your goal is to get the highest performance possible out of your sails, it may not be the boat for you. If you've spent 60 years learning to sail on every point, as he has, it could be a deal breaker.

Tags
liveaboard