Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2011, 19:07   #166
CF Adviser
 
Bash's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: sausalito
Boat: 14 meter sloop
Posts: 7,260
Re: Do Hunters Make Good Bluewater / Liveaboard Boats ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
God that would be freakin' awesome!

Steaks for me and my crew and humble pie for the IOR guy...
When I traded in my Hunter 410 for the Hunter 46LE, I decided to race her a few times before I started adding all the cruising gear just to see how she stacked up. I'm Faculty Advisor for the university sailing team, so I was able to recruit some fairly capable winch monkeys. At my club, the beer-can races average 25-30 boats per week. We entered the new boat in five races, and won three of them. That's with OEM sails.

One night back in the yacht club after one of those victories, a buddy of mine who has raced three Singlehanded Transpacks, winning that race once on corrected time, accused me of never racing the H46LE unless it was going to be high winds and huge chop when I could waterline all the smaller boats. I responded by saying, "Oh, was it choppy tonight? We didn't notice."

Freeboard is not always a bad thing.
__________________

__________________
cruising is entirely about showing up--in boat shoes.
Bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 19:22   #167
Registered User
 
S/V Illusion's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lakewood Ranch, FLORIDA
Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 1,693
Re: Do Hunters Make Good Bluewater / Liveaboard Boats ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Racers or anybody that wants to go fast only will sail near DDW on very few cases and always with lots of wind. With weak or medium winds you will lose time. This explains why:

That is why sailing DDW is unacceptable in racing. I wonder if the person who disputed this will acknowledge his error?
__________________

__________________
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 19:30   #168
Moderator Emeritus
 
Ex-Calif's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Posts: 11,514
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash

When I traded in my Hunter 410 for the Hunter 46LE, I decided to race her a few times before I started adding all the cruising gear just to see how she stacked up. I'm Faculty Advisor for the university sailing team, so I was able to recruit some fairly capable winch monkeys. At my club, the beer-can races average 23-30 boats per week. We entered the new boat in five races, and won three of them. That's with OEM sails.

One night back in the club after one of those victories, a buddy of mine who has raced three Singlehanded Transpacks, winning that race once on corrected time, accused me of never racing the H46LE unless it was going to be high winds and huge chop when I could waterline all the smaller boats. I responded by saying, "Oh, was it choppy tonight? We didn't notice."

Freeboard is not always a bad thing.
We developed a pretty cool system for adjusting handicaps.

If you win you subtract 2 points. If you get second you subtract one point. At the end of a series some handicaps were permanently changed if it was clear the base handicap was too favorable or unfavorable. Everyone else goes back to baseline.

It never stopped the bitching but at least if someone cherry picked races his handicap went down over time. The idea was to get different winners over time.

Unfortunately it wasn't perfect for everyone. We used to podium a lot with our high handicap. Our permament handicap was adjusted from 95 to 89. 6 minutes over 100! The maxi has had a 95 baseline in Singapore for 30 years! We didn't always win but did in strong conditions. And we never lost to a maxi 77, ever. The guys with racing boats bitched a lot especially the J24 sailors with a 75 handicap. It's pretty tough for my boat to be within 20 minutes every hour and forty but 14 minutes? Ain't happening.

So not being happy with 6s and 7s we stopped racing my boat. To make a point I rented a J24 and beat the fleet (got lucky) including a couple of j24 owners who had been bitching. I told the commodore we are supposed to be handicapping boats not crews...

(OK that was pretty whiney...)
__________________
Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 19:35   #169
Registered User
 
four winds's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wandering the US Gulf Coast
Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Posts: 2,138
Re: Do Hunters Make Good Bluewater / Liveaboard Boats ?

I almost understand this diagram.

But someone tell me the difference between the black lines and the red lines. please.

I see the points of sail, wind speed, and boat speed relationship.

But it looks like two sets of data to me. One black and one red.
__________________
four winds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 19:50   #170
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Do Hunters Make Good Bluewater / Liveaboard Boats ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
You tell um!the nerve of that guy...DVC

I don't always FOLLOW all the advice I receive, but I do appreciate it!
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 19:57   #171
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Do Hunters Make Good Bluewater / Liveaboard Boats ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
There it is.

Pick the boat you want. Have it surveyed. Determine stability, and capsize ratio on the boat you pick. Plan storm tactics for the degree of weather YOU plan to sail in. Then do it.

And as the title says, if you're going to live on it, consider how "live-able" it is.

I think my Hunter excels there. It's dry (important); and sitting in the cabin you have a lot of head room. You don't feel all closed in. It has plenty of storage space, especially if you use the aft berth for storage, as I do -- I call it my basement.

The cockpit is spacious, and since it has a wheel, I don't have a tiller interfering with its use as living space, which it is nearly all the year here. I had Pfifertex netting put up all around. The cats spend much of their time up there and often meow for me to come up and join them if I'm in the cabin.

At 31' and tender I don't consider it a good bluewater boat for me, but that isn't what I was looking for. I do like a boat that will take off like a shot when the sails are set right. Makes me all full of myself.

The quality of the design of the living space was a major factor for me. It has two sets of shelves, and I made cloth "snap panels to close them off completely when sailing so Sir Isaac Newton doesn't toss all my belongings all over the boat when I heel. I use the space under the nav table for storage and the nav table is just part of my galley.

It suits me well for living aboard, and it's fun to sail. Those were my two major criteria.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 20:04   #172
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Do Hunters Make Good Bluewater / Liveaboard Boats ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I would question the veracity of that failure rate. Rudders on Hunters are made by Foss Foam, which supplies rudders for a large number of manufacturers. It's illogical that these rudders would break more on Hunters than on the boats of other manufacturers.

I knew Mike Harker, and I've sailed with him on the boat that lost the rudder during his first circumnavigation. That boat was a sister ship of my boat, by the way. Hunter had gone to composite shafts on that model, and the engineers rated them stronger than stainless steel. Unfortunately, a couple boats lost these rudders, and Hunter went back to a stainless shaft on later models (including mine.)

I can't say that it's 4% across the board, but it's 100% for me.

I ran aground some weeks ago with the tide going out and near a channel. I was afraid a strong wake would bang my boat around and break the rudder, so when I couldn't get off, I called Boat US. The towboat towed my boat across a shallow sandbar ... and broke the rudder.

When it was removed, it was quite obvious that the rudder was seriously compromised before that incident. The metal shaft was seriously rusted. It wasn't a matter of IF that rudder was going to snap, but when. Far better that it happened with a towboat already there, than, say ... in a storm.

The post rusted from the inside out. We couldn't determine how salt water got in there, but something caused that metal to rust and fail. I didn't have the quality of the stainless analyzed. That rudder lasted 29 years, and since I'm 66 and don't expect to be still sailing this boat in 29 years, I'm not worried about it, but it does make me wonder about the quality of the stainless that was originally used.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 20:20   #173
Moderator Emeritus
 
Ex-Calif's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Posts: 11,514
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames

I can't say that it's 4% across the board, but it's 100% for me.

I ran aground some weeks ago with the tide going out and near a channel. I was afraid a strong wake would bang my boat around and break the rudder, so when I couldn't get off, I called Boat US. The towboat towed my boat across a shallow sandbar ... and broke the rudder.

When it was removed, it was quite obvious that the rudder was seriously compromised before that incident. The metal shaft was seriously rusted. It wasn't a matter of IF that rudder was going to snap, but when. Far better that it happened with a towboat already there, than, say ... in a storm.

The post rusted from the inside out. We couldn't determine how salt water got in there, but something caused that metal to rust and fail. I didn't have the quality of the stainless analyzed. That rudder lasted 29 years, and since I'm 66 and don't expect to be still sailing this boat in 29 years, I'm not worried about it, but it does make me wonder about the quality of the stainless that was originally used.
This is a joke right?

You aren't seriously going to bash a 29 year old rudder as a design, material or manufacturing problem are you?

If no one looked at that rudder at least every 2-3 years, someone needs a boat maintenance ass whipping...
__________________
Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 20:39   #174
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Do Hunters Make Good Bluewater / Liveaboard Boats ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
This is a joke right?

You aren't seriously going to bash a 29 year old rudder as a design, material or manufacturing problem are you?

If no one looked at that rudder at least every 2-3 years, someone needs a boat maintenance ass whipping...
I didn't bash anything, and the guy before me did deserve an ass whippin' regarding maintenance. I did not know to check the rudder, and to spot this particular problem, it would have had to be removed, and a rag pushed down the post to find the rust. It was 6 feet down the tube.

Now, I don't know everything, that's for sure, but I've done a lot of reading and talked to a lot of experienced sailors, and I've never heard of anyone doing that.

And, I didn't trash anything. I said MY rudder was compromised and MY rudder broke under strain.

What I DID say was that I don't understand why it rusted in that spot. I have personally met the owner of Foss Foam and he made a very good impression, but the broken rudder was made 29 years ago. I didn't say anything negative about Foss Foam, nor would I. Please don't put words in my mouth. Thanks.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 21:18   #175
Moderator Emeritus
 
Ex-Calif's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Posts: 11,514
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames

I didn't bash anything, and the guy before me did deserve an ass whippin' regarding maintenance. I did not know to check the rudder, and to spot this particular problem, it would have had to be removed, and a rag pushed down the post to find the rust. It was 6 feet down the tube.

Now, I don't know everything, that's for sure, but I've done a lot of reading and talked to a lot of experienced sailors, and I've never heard of anyone doing that.

And, I didn't trash anything. I said MY rudder was compromised and MY rudder broke under strain.

What I DID say was that I don't understand why it rusted in that spot. I have personally met the owner of Foss Foam and he made a very good impression, but the broken rudder was made 29 years ago. I didn't say anything negative about Foss Foam, nor would I. Please don't put words in my mouth. Thanks.
Firstly - in a sub-thread about "unexplained" rudder and keel losses at sea, you post about a perfectly explainable maintenance and operation related rudder failure that hs nothing to do with rudder design or materials.

30 year old gudgeons and pintles on the "sturdiest" of boats need maintenance.

I like many of your posts but you tend to have an external locus of control. The PO doesn't deserve an ass whipping. It is your boat and you are responsible for its safety and maintenance regardless of history. In two posts your stated the PO is responsible for your unmaintainedd rudder and the tow company is responsible for breaking it off when they towed it off a sandbar.

You got it on the sandbar, you should have not presumed a 30 year old hollow rudder shaft is in good shape. And yes getting access to stuff that should be inspected every "30" years is difficult.

And not putting words in your mouth but you stated something like, "it does make me wonder anout the quality of stainless that was used."

Wonder no more! That stainless was awesome!

I hope you have checked all the other 30 y/o stainless on your boat...
__________________
Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 01:34   #176
Registered User
 
TeddyDiver's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arctic Ocean
Boat: Under construction 35' ketch
Posts: 1,826
Images: 2
Re: Do Hunters Make Good Bluewater / Liveaboard Boats ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
But it looks like two sets of data to me. One black and one red.
Reckon black with jib and red with gennaker.. anyway different sails.
__________________
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 04:42   #177
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,757
Re: Do Hunters Make Good Bluewater / Liveaboard Boats ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
I almost understand this diagram.

But someone tell me the difference between the black lines and the red lines. please.

I see the points of sail, wind speed, and boat speed relationship.

But it looks like two sets of data to me. One black and one red.
This is the Polar of a good performance cruiser that is also used for club racing, the Elan 380. Notice that the black lines only go till 120, than its time to hoist downwind sails, the geenaker or the spinaker

Manuel
__________________
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 05:11   #178
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,757
Re: Do Hunters Make Good Bluewater / Liveaboard Boats ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
That is why sailing DDW is unacceptable in racing. ..
I don't think it is only in racing, it is just good sailing. Nobody likes to be unnecessarily slow. As I see it the difference between cruisers and racers is that while a racer knows exactly for a given wind speed what the downwind wing angle he was to do for the best velocity made good in a run, for a cruiser it is more or less on the right spot.

They don' even have to experiment with the boat because for handicapping the boat for serious racing that has already been made and it is an information that is on the ORC international certificate. Have a look at one from a 2001 Benetau Oceanis 393 that is a cruiser and a boat that is perhaps just a little faster than a Hunter of the same size, but pretty close:

http://www.cvpa.es/files/rating_banff.PDF

The relevant information is here:



You can see that on a dead run the best VMG varies with the wind speed and has this values for TW:

For 6K - 143.3..... For 12K -159.6..... For 20K - 174.2

Most cruisers just point the boat between 160 if the wind is medium and 170 if the wind is strong, True wind of course.

Manuel
__________________
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 05:44   #179
Registered User
 
four winds's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wandering the US Gulf Coast
Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Posts: 2,138
Re: Do Hunters Make Good Bluewater / Liveaboard Boats ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Reckon black with jib and red with gennaker.. anyway different sails.
Thanks, I see that now. The black lines are on the wind and the red are off the wind.

Should have been able to see that, but just never studied one of these diagrams yet.

And thanks to you, Polux, as well for the clarification.

So, just for fun I'll search for the polar diagram of my boat.
__________________
four winds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 07:11   #180
Registered User
 
Dkdoyle's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ruskin, Fl
Boat: Seafarer 26
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag

dont forget to learn to sail also.. helps just a lil bit.
Details details
__________________

__________________
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
liveaboard

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To Buy or to Wait . . . GorMac Dollars & Cents 13 30-11-2015 10:09
Tartan or Sabre ? Here's a Couple of Examples Jbingham Monohull Sailboats 29 31-08-2011 13:50
Aussies Don't Complain Boats Are Too Expensive ausaviator Multihull Sailboats 84 30-08-2011 05:03
Good Deal for a Liveaboard Marina ? Capt. lulz Liveaboard's Forum 18 05-08-2011 19:46



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:45.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.