Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2017, 09:51   #16

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch
Re: Do boat diesel engines ever use an alternator decoupler/clutch to disengage?

On one alternator I rebuilt (Ford?) the internal regulator had it's own set of diodes. I don't know how you could disconnect that one.

Bill Seal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:07   #17
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Do boat diesel engines ever use an alternator decoupler/clutch to disengage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
On one alternator I rebuilt (Ford?) the internal regulator had it's own set of diodes. I don't know how you could disconnect that one.
by placing the disconnect switch in the exciter wire between the battery and the alternator.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:34   #18

Boat: Adams 42

FWIW
I just disconnect the output from the alternator. Advice is it will destroy the diodes, but I have not had any problem over a couple of years.
The reason to disconnect is to allow room for the batteries to take up solar panel output when they are charging.
Cheers
Frugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:08   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugal View Post
FWIW
I just disconnect the output from the alternator. Advice is it will destroy the diodes, but I have not had any problem over a couple of years.
The reason to disconnect is to allow room for the batteries to take up solar panel output when they are charging.
Cheers
I would not recommend that others do this, every installation is different.
Maybe you have been lucky, maybe you have only one positive wire going into the alternator and when you disconnect this , you also disconnect the field coils and regulator all at the same time...maybe this is why your diodes have survived.
If someone has a seperately powered regulator and the alternator is putting out enough amps, then the diodes risk being damaged if the battery is disconnected.

A thought for you, surely if the alternator is running then why choose the source of charging, its irrelevant and more than likely the alternator is capable of adding more than the solar at this moment. Maybe the solar regulator needs some parameter changes if you see nothing coming in while the alternator is running.

Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, boat, clutch, diesel, engine