Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-12-2011, 10:37   #61

Boat: Seafarer 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas
you all need to move to New Hampshrine - no income tax, no sales tax

state motto; Live Free or Die
Well they are getting their money from someone. Would that be property owners?

Old 25-12-2011, 10:42   #62

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16
Re: Do American liveaboards have to be State residents?

What's that saying ... "the problem with corruption as a form of government is that it is so effective."

Old 25-12-2011, 10:46   #63

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkdoyle View Post
Well they are getting their money from someone. Would that be property owners?
Actually they do have income taxes and a few other.

Does NH have an Income Tax or Sales Tax? | Frequently Asked Questions | NH Department of Revenue Administration
Old 25-12-2011, 15:37   #64
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M

I spent a lot of time in NH. Lovely place. My first ex-mother-in-law owns property there. I spent many, many a happy day in NH. Skiing, hunting, camping.

It was a bit of a haven when I had to live in Massachusetts.

I have no desire to ever see New England again.
Old 13-03-2012, 23:02   #65
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Do American Liveaboards Have To Be State Residents?

NH has no tax on earned income, but it does take 5%(?) on dividends and interest, so if you are living from the interest a nest egg or investments make, you'll pay 5% tax on it.

There are subtle gotchs like that in most if not all states. The total effective tax rate in most of the states is surprisingly similar, it reflects "one way or another" paying for services. The states that tax less overall, always have lower services. In Colorado, part of that is a limitation on damages. Some (10?) years ago a tour bus got wiped out by a boulder rolling down a mountain in winter. The state paid out next to nothing, per their limits. In most other states, they would have paid $2 million per dead passenger. They saved money--but were hit by a nationwide tourist embargo in response to the "well, your life is only worth ten grand" attitude.

In SE Florida, they've only recently *started* erecting guard rails between the omnipresent drainage canals and highways. And streets. So if a dozen people go off the road and drown every year, hey, who needs guardrails they really should know better. Even if it was caused by a blowout or other incident not their fault.

There are tradeoffs to lower taes and lower services, or maybe that's freedom. If you are out of state all year it hardly matters.

FWIW no one seems to have noticed, you can be a full US resident without living in any state. We have 50 states, plus the District of Columbia, plus 11 "insular possessions" like Guam and Puerto Rico. Which year after year votes not to become a state. And there's Navassa Island, an odd little quirk west of Haiti, which is claimed by the US, and Haiti, and some family that actually used to own it outright. (One residence, three citizenships?)

Even if you owe nothing, file a "zero due" tax return. When and if the IRS audits you, the mere fact that you FILED is considered an act of good faith and goes in your favor. And of course, it removes you from any possible "failure to file" dispute for those years. Call it cheap insurance.
Old 13-03-2012, 23:23   #66

Boat: Mason 53

"FWIW no one seems to have noticed, you can be a full US resident without living in any state. We have 50 states, plus the District of Columbia, plus 11 "insular possessions" like Guam and Puerto Rico. Which year after year votes not to become a state. And there's Navassa Island, an odd little quirk west of Haiti, which is claimed by the US, and Haiti, and some family that actually used to own it outright. (One residence, three citizenships?)

Even if you owe nothing, file a "zero due" tax return. When and if the IRS audits you, the mere fact that you FILED is considered an act of good faith and goes in your favor. And of course, it removes you from any possible "failure to file" dispute for those years. Call it cheap insurance."

+1 Mate! I know several yanks down here who spend six months living on their yacht and then cruise up to the islands for the other 6 months. In some cases you can end your state domicile and do this for years. Some of us have gained dual citizenship and never have to leave if we don't want feel like it, but of coarse, we always check in with the IRS on a yearly basis. All the best. Cheers.
Old 26-07-2012, 11:36   #67

I am a "wanna be" cruiser. We have been bitten by the cruising bug. Looking at the Great Loop to start with. After retirement. Lots to learn. We currently live in Arizona.

IF I read this thread correctly, we need to move to Fl, TX, NC, NH or somewhere near the water. Establish residency. Get all the particular credentials ( drivers' license, etc). Buy a boat. Then sail into the sunset?

OR beg our relatives to allow us to use their address as a permanent residence in AZ... buy a boat...sail into the sunset?

Am I close?

Can you tell I am a Real Beginner at this?! ;-)
Old 26-07-2012, 11:54   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

well there are mail forwarding places that you can use in Florida, Texas or Nevada which gives you a street address for mail that you can then take to the DMV for a drivers license, etc. You don't need to physicality move there. So you could be registered in florida and cruising the crib or mexico or doing the great loop.

You'll want to register in a state without state income taxes ideally. The actually requirements varies state to state so be sure to check out things like boat registration, etc.

Welcome to CF
Old 28-07-2012, 00:18   #69
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneofSix View Post
. . . IF I read this thread correctly, we need to move to Fl, TX, NC, NH or somewhere near the water. Establish residency. Get all the particular credentials ( drivers' license, etc). Buy a boat. Then sail into the sunset?
OR beg our relatives to allow us to use their address as a permanent residence in AZ... buy a boat...sail into the sunset?
Am I close? . . .
You don't "need" to do all that - however, if you wish to keep the complications and bureaucratic B.S. to a minimum while you are cruising as a USA citizen - then you should establish a residency for legal purposes somewhere in the USA. Be it in a State or Possession/Territory.

This allows you to have a "physical address" for things like a Drivers License, Voting, Banking, Credit Cards, Boat documentation/registration, and Federal and State taxes and other stuff like Medical Insurance, Car Insurance, Boat Insurance and etc., etc.

The trick is having an address somewhere such that your mail, "Official" or otherwise, can be received, sorted, reviewed and if it requires a "respond in XX days" type requirement, you can be notified and take the appropriate actions to avoid getting into trouble with the various levels of Bureaucracy.

This address can be a reliable "friend" - a "relative" or if all else fails a commercial PMB type organization like St Brendan's Isle and others.

The bottom line is you go cruising to "get away" from the hassles of living on land so you don't want to generate more hassles than necessary and subsequently make your cruising experience less than the best experience you ever had.
Old 28-07-2012, 09:33   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You dont need to register your boat anywhere in the US to go cruising. Just get it Documented and dont stay over the time limit in any state... then take off outside the US. also, when you return, I dont believe you have to register your boat to sell it in FLorida....(?)
get a mailbox/address from Mailboxes etc or a place like that for important mail (document renewal etc)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 09:52   #71

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

I agree with Osirissail. Why in the world go out of your way to create the possiblity of more problems?

BTW unless your boat is paid for, the lending institution may document "their" boat with the USCG and charge you for doing it. If so be sure to inform the USCG when you become the sole owner with the proper documentation to prove it..
Old 29-07-2012, 00:24   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
You dont need to register your boat anywhere in the US to go cruising. Just get it Documented and don't stay over the time limit in any state... then take off outside the US. also, when you return, I don't believe you have to register your boat to sell it in FLorida....(?)
get a mailbox/address from Mailboxes etc or a place like that for important mail (document renewal etc)
That is a very important distinction. So long as you are not "Using" the waters of a particular State - you do not need to have "State Registration" if you have USCG Documentation on the vessel. Normally, "Using the waters of . . ." means having the boat physically in the waters of the State for around 90 continuous days (+/-).

So if you are cruising outside the country then, you only require Federal (USCG) level Documentation. Putting the vessel in a boatyard on land ("on the hard") is not generally considered "Using the Vessel in the waters of . . ." so again you do not need State Registration and/or pay the State Fees and Taxes on the vessel while you are working on the vessel or have it up for sale.
Old 29-07-2012, 00:34   #73
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
well there are mail forwarding places that you can use in Florida, Texas or Nevada which gives you a street address for mail that you can then take to the DMV for a drivers license, etc. You don't need to physicality move there. So you could be registered in florida and cruising the crib or mexico or doing the great loop.

You'll want to register in a state without state income taxes ideally. The actually requirements varies state to state so be sure to check out things like boat registration, etc.

Welcome to CF
Actually FL is now on to the mail drop places and won't accept them as permanent street addresses any more.
Old 29-07-2012, 10:33   #74
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah, I bought a boat in Annapolis, refitted it there for 2.5 months, sailed to Fl, continued the refit there for 1.5 months, never registered or paid sales taxes, sailed the caribe, returned to Fl and put the boat up for sale (OK to not pay tax if for sale... at least then it was). Sold the boat,never paid sales tax or registered it.
I would question if any given county would be smart enough to figure out if the address you are using is a mailbox....? or how about using a temporary real address and make an address change right after registration? There's always a way!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 10:58   #75
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Actually FL is now on to the mail drop places and won't accept them as permanent street addresses any more.
Same here in WA. My "physical address" has been a mail box for many years, but recently they cracked down on this. It was a huge PITA to deal with and they were less than pleasant about it. Everyone in my marina got the same treatment. They really didn't want to give me a drivers liscence renewal, convincing them I actually live here was not easy. Required 5-6 trips to DMV. Pretty sure this was about the recent push to prevent "voter fraud".

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: