Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-09-2015, 09:09   #16

Boat: 48' steel cutter
Re: Dive-planing with dolphins youtube video

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
That's probably the most impressive use of plywood ever devised;-) great video!!
I made about a dozen of them on my boat's swim platform in the Bahamas last year from found scrap plywood, and gave them away to cruisers, especially families with kids. I agree, best use of plywood, especially scrap plywood, ever.

Old 26-09-2015, 09:48   #17

They use kind of a guess at a dive plane on S/V Delos in the middle of this video. I sent them a plan last year, I guess they lost it or just decided to wing it with this plexiglas model. This is from S/V Delos 55, at about 12 minutes into their video.

Old 26-09-2015, 12:18   #18

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Definitely on the to do list - Thanks Travis!
Old 26-09-2015, 13:24   #19

Boat: Catalina 25 swing keel

Does this go down pretty much instantly or do you have good enough control to control your decent speed? Sometimes when I dive, depending on the day, I have problems clearing my ears the first dive and would hate to damage them without being able to clear them.
Old 26-09-2015, 13:48   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainh2o2 View Post
Does this go down pretty much instantly or do you have good enough control to control your decent speed? Sometimes when I dive, depending on the day, I have problems clearing my ears the first dive and would hate to damage them without being able to clear them.
You are 100% in control of your diving or surfacing. You have to make an affirmative decision to dive by flexing your wrists and making the board aim down. It won't "take off" without you. The basic setting is level, since you have 100% control of the angle. It is actually a lot easier to aim the board upward, than to "force" it to go down. (That's why most people put their index fingers on top, to help it to aim down.)

Most of the time, my ears are pretty "flexible" and I squeeze my nose and blow while on the surface, holding the board with one hand. For me, this is good for about 15' of depth. On a good day, I can "huff" with no fingers on my nose and get my ears to go to about 20' or more.

But don't worry, you will NOT be "carried" on a forced-dive deeper than your ears are happy, even if that is just ten feet. You twist your wrists to level off, and you will not go one foot deeper than you want to go.
Old 26-09-2015, 13:51   #21

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I see it was brushed off as a joke earlier but the threat of meeting a pelagic shark by trolling yourself is no joking matter.
Old 26-09-2015, 14:04   #22

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

You can see one go by at 2:40-2:42 of the second video posted in this thread. Mostly it just seems curious

I imagine that the danger would be greater in murky northeast waters (off Chatham, MA, perhaps?), where the shark doesn't get a good look at you.
Old 27-09-2015, 04:44   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Walsh View Post
I see it was brushed off as a joke earlier but the threat of meeting a pelagic shark by trolling yourself is no joking matter.
If you play it 100% safe all the time, you will miss many of life's best opportunities.
Old 27-09-2015, 04:47   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
You can see one go by at 2:40-2:42 of the second video posted in this thread. Mostly it just seems curious

I imagine that the danger would be greater in murky northeast waters (off Chatham, MA, perhaps?), where the shark doesn't get a good look at you.
It's no fun dive planing in murky water anyway. In the clear waters of the Sea of Abaco, the only shark we ever saw was the nurse shark in the video, and it was on the bottom, passing the other way a good distance off.

In the deep and wide ocean, where we do most dive planing on light-air days, I think the odds of coming across a random shark are extremely low.
Old 27-09-2015, 05:05   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

That's so cool, Matt.

Have you ever seen a Killer whale with dolphin pod?
Killer whale with dolphin pod off Nova Scotia a rare sight - Nova Scotia - CBC News

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 05:11   #26

An interesting discovery about the single-line balanced dive plane that I didn’t mention yet is that you can fly perfectly well with the board radically “canted.”

I learned this when putting the go-pro on the corner of the board. At first I mounted it facing forward, and then 90* to the side. But I learned that I could mount the camera 45* to the right, and still fly straight forward to film ahead, or fly canted 45* to the right to film to the right, and still fly straight ahead, or roll, etc.

What I’m trying to say is the balanced dive plane board with the near-center pulling point is fully controllable even when warping or canting the board 45% (or more) to the right and left. This would not be possible with the Subwing or other multiple-line boards.
Old 27-09-2015, 05:13   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
That's so cool, Matt.

Have you ever seen a Killer whale with dolphin pod?
Killer whale with dolphin pod off Nova Scotia a rare sight - Nova Scotia - CBC News
Never seen it, and hope I never do! Until I got in the water with the dolphins, I wasn't sure how they would treat me. Would they ignore me, flee, bump me, bite me? Until I was in with them, I just didn't know. This wasn't Seaworld, it was the open Atlantic, and they were 100% wild porpoises.

I don't want to find out about how Orcas feel about dive planers!!!!
Old 27-09-2015, 08:14   #28

I didn't have any 1/2" ply on hand, but had a stack of waterproof 1/4" Sureply I use for making canoes and dinghies and whatnot. So yesterday I glued two 18x24 pieces on top of each other with Titebond 3. Today I cut it out.
I wound up easing the thumbholes a bit bigger into that oval/teardrop shape to accommodate the base of my thumbs laying back.
Here it is in my native habitat of the Catskill Mountains. But I will be at the ocean in a couple of weeks visiting a friend who has a boat. (I'm making an extra SEALplane as a gift for him, too.) Can't wait to try it out!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SEALplane1.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	235.9 KB
ID:	110058  
Old 27-09-2015, 09:01   #29

That will work for sure. Almost anything "close" will work. The finger/thumb slots might be a bit too tight, you don't want to hurt your knuckles when twisting around. You might want to enlarge the towing hole, but only at the back, not the front. To be really sure, since you only glued two pieces of 1/4" together, you might want to glue and screw a pair of pieces of hardwood about 1" X 1/2" X 6" right across the wood between the towing hole and the rope slot. Any failures/cracks we have experienced happen right there, usually when going with too thin plywood or too little "meat" (wood) where the rope is pulling. It's just a suggestion, to avoid cracking there later, especially during high-drag acrobatics, when that little bit of wood is very highly stressed. Overall, a great first effort! It will work! Just make sure the finger and thumb holes are not too tight.
Old 27-09-2015, 10:32   #30

I used a 1" holesaw for the finger slots and thumb holes. I had considered trying 1.5". Do you think for my second board, I should drill them that big?

For the towing hole, I'll beef it up as you suggest: gluing some extra wood in front of it; or maybe I'll epoxy a couple layers of fiberglass both sides across that little bridge. . . .

Tags
dolphins

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: