Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 00:00   #1
Registered User
 
markpierce's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central California
Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Posts: 3,416
Display Lights in Fog ?

This fellow didn't show any running lights in the fog. (Isn't white the best color for a boat to be less visible?) None of the several boat observed that morning showed any lights. Reminds me of the Philippines where drivers don't turn on their cars' headlights at night (until they notice you coming) so as to conserve their batteries.

__________________

__________________
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 00:13   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
rebel heart's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,190
Images: 3
Re: Display lights in fog?

You're supposed to have your navigation lights on during dark or restricted visibility. That would qualify as restricted visibility to me, but honestly he probably just forgot. Probably too busy in his AIS/radar/chart plotter combo.
__________________

__________________
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:58   #3
Registered User
 
Auspicious's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Boat: HR 40
Posts: 1,793
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Display lights in fog?

I agree - should be on, probably playing with his Raymarine or Garmin video game.
__________________
S/V Auspicious
AuspiciousWorks
Beware cut and paste sailors
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:18   #4
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 20,222
Images: 2
pirate Re: Display lights in fog?

That's not fog.... thats mist...
Fog is when you cant see the bow running lights on your 21 footer....
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:50   #5
Registered User
 
Katiusha's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 800
Re: Display lights in fog?

Fog is when you determine location of your partner in the cockpit by the air horn...
__________________
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:34   #6
Registered User
 
Tempest245's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Piscataway, NJ
Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Posts: 937
Re: Display lights in fog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
You're supposed to have your navigation lights on during dark or restricted visibility. That would qualify as restricted visibility to me, but honestly he probably just forgot. Probably too busy in his AIS/radar/chart plotter combo.
Rebel,

Technically speaking, it's lights on from " sunset to sunrise" and in restricted visibility. Sunset and sunrise are specific times of the day, that can be looked up. It's less subjective than dark. Though, in practice, I see few boaters that follow that rule
I'm guessing If the boat in the photo didn't have their lights on; they weren't using horn signals either.
__________________
Tempest
Tempest245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:46   #7
Registered User
 
markpierce's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central California
Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Posts: 3,416
Re: Display lights in fog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest245 View Post
Rebel,

I'm guessing If the boat in the photo didn't have their lights on; they weren't using horn signals either.
How'd you guess (correctly)?

For us smaller boats, I'd say use our horns when visibility drops below a half mile.

Whistle Class
Length of Vessel in Meters
Limits of Fundamental Frequency
Minimum Sound Pressure Level Measured in 1/3 Octave Band at 1 Meter
Audibility Range in Nautical Miles
I > 200 70-200 Hz 143 dB 2 II 75 -200 130-350 Hz 138 dB 1.5 III 20 - 75 250-700 Hz 130 dB 1 IV < 20 250-700 Hz 120 dB 0.5
__________________
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:20   #8
Moderator Emeritus
 
David M's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Francisco Bay
Boat: research vessel
Posts: 10,152
Re: Display Lights in Fog ?

The rules intentionally do not define a distance for restricted visibility because this distance would vary depending on a number of factors.
__________________
David

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:23   #9
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,320
Re: Display Lights in Fog ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
. (Isn't white the best color for a boat to be less visible?)
Seems pretty much like driving your car in the rain where the chance of a car turning their lights on is inversely proportaional to it's color. If a dark color you can not see, they don't turn their lights on.
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:33   #10
Registered User
 
mbianka's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,125
Images: 1
Re: Display Lights in Fog ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Seems pretty much like driving your car in the rain where the chance of a car turning their lights on is inversely proportaional to it's color. If a dark color you can not see, they don't turn their lights on.
In my experience Mercedes and other high end cars are also exempt from using directional signals too! The most dangerous parts of my cruises are the drive from the house to the boatyard.
__________________
Capt. Mike
mbianka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:04   #11
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,048
Images: 1
Re: Display Lights in Fog ?

Environment Canada uses the following statement in their forecasts.

Quote:
Fog implies visibility less than 1 mile.
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 22:00   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Southport CT
Boat: J/36
Posts: 377
Re: Display Lights in Fog ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
This fellow didn't show any running lights in the fog. (Isn't white the best color for a boat to be less visible?) None of the several boat observed that morning showed any lights. Reminds me of the Philippines where drivers don't turn on their cars' headlights at night (until they notice you coming) so as to conserve their batteries.

Maybe these guys don't consider this to be fog? As several others have noted, fog is when your crew sounds a horn to let you know which side of the cockpit they're on, because you can't see them and they don't want you to throw your empties where they are sitting. You obviously saw this guy, and avoided him. And he you. No harm, no foul. No lights needed. I would worry more about the sport fisherman zipping through on autopilot at 20 knots, even if he had his lights on.
__________________
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 22:23   #13
Registered User
 
markpierce's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central California
Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Posts: 3,416
Re: Display Lights in Fog ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
... You obviously saw this guy, and avoided him. And he you. No harm, no foul. No lights needed. ...
That's a bit cavalier. ... I was anchored with anchor light shining. I was concerned about them, not me.
__________________
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 22:33   #14
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,048
Images: 1
Re: Display Lights in Fog ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Maybe these guys don't consider this to be fog? As several others have noted, fog is when your crew sounds a horn to let you know which side of the cockpit they're on, because you can't see them and they don't want you to throw your empties where they are sitting. You obviously saw this guy, and avoided him. And he you. No harm, no foul. No lights needed. I would worry more about the sport fisherman zipping through on autopilot at 20 knots, even if he had his lights on.
Read the post right above yours.

Fog = visibility of less than 1 mile.
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:16   #15
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,592
Images: 240
Re: Display Lights in Fog ?

The meteorological definition of fog is a cloud (stratus) which has its cloud base on or close to ground, and reduces visibility to less than 1000 metres (1 kilometre or 3,300 ft).
Mist is a visibility of between 1 kilometre (0.62 mi) and 2 kilometres (1.2 mi);
and haze from 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) to 5 kilometres (3.1 mi).
__________________

__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fog

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NMEA Weather Display Dockhead Marine Electronics 2 06-11-2011 08:01
Want To Buy: Autohelm ST50 Depth Display Sandcastle Classifieds Archive 2 22-10-2011 10:25
Red and Green All-Around Lights jrd22 Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 123 23-08-2011 09:39



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:46.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.