Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2018, 06:15   #1

Boat: Dufour 405GL
Discount offer for PredictWind

I thought you as my fellow sailors might be interested in this offer for PredictWind forecast subscriptions!

http://mailchi.mp/f9d35971acf8/movin...th-predictwind

Chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:32   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Discount offer for PredictWind

A kind thought.. for those who 'may' want the app..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:01   #3

Re: Discount offer for PredictWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
A kind thought.. for those who 'may' want the app..
Of course, it is also available on your desktop/laptop as well as Android and Apple.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:45   #4

Boat: Currently Boatless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantal View Post
I thought you as my fellow sailors might be interested in this offer for PredictWind forecast subscriptions!

http://mailchi.mp/f9d35971acf8/movin...th-predictwind

Hi Chantal,

How does this differ from other weather resources like pocketgrib or zyGrib? I have both of these and are quite happy with what they can do...so far. They are also free!

SN.
Old 21-02-2018, 12:26   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by settlednomad View Post
Hi Chantal,

How does this differ from other weather resources like pocketgrib or zyGrib? I have both of these and are quite happy with what they can do...so far. They are also free!

SN.
Sorry for the delay in responding. PredictWind is similiar to pocketgrib and zygrib in as much as they are all viewers for GRIB forecasts. PredictWind however offers better resolution and imagery, plus 4 different models, being PWG, PWE & ECMWF in addition to GFS, showing wind weather updates every hour, with a wind speed and direction map for your entire local area, plus sea data and other parameters.

Also depending on which package, it also provides weather routing and departure planning.

PredictWind is just an alternative, and as a sailor I have always liked getting a number of forecasts with different source data, on the basis that if they all correspond, I am more confident in their accuracy, particular for offshore passages

I appreciate that PredictWind is not free, but the basic package, with this discount is only £10 + VAT for the year, small price for more confidence. That said if you are an offshore sailor, having the weather routing and departure planning is a bit of a plus.

Also, if you do offshore passages where wifi/internet is an issue, they have an offshore app which is great!

Have a look at their website, www.predictwind.com and decide for yourself!
Old 21-02-2018, 12:56   #6

Boat: Lagoon 450
Discount offer for PredictWind

For those with internet, sure there is zygrib and others, but as a standalone provider of weather, Windyty offers the same array of international gribs features as Predictwind.... free. Predictwind, IMO, comes into its own when your preparing for and during passaging and have satellite access ie GO.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 05:53   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 36 and C&C 29 MkII

I am a Predict Wind user. I have quite a few sources for met and still have Pocket Grib, weather track and Weather4d to name a few but don't use them much anymore. Have also used some products from Ocens in the past but I find that Predict Wind is now my "go to".

This is simply because in most cases, it is a one stop shop. Many "free" Grib Apps are just pulling data from a single source, most commonly, the GFS model. With Predict Wind, you are accessing four different gradient wind models. One from the US, ( GFS ) one from Europe ( ECMWF ) and two higher resolution models from Predict Wind themselves. It is also bringing in wave and swell data, pressure, precipitation data and CAPE. I find the CAPE very useful for considering the potential of convective activity and the potential intensity of squalls as the sun goes down. They have routing and departure planning features which will either provide a route, or a re-route, based on an avoidance I have predetermined, like winds above 25 kts and waves above 4 meters. It can plan a departure window based on similar features and pre-determined comfort levels. Admittedly, you can also do this planning yourself but it is a nice feature nonetheless. In the case of a re-route, it provides waypoints and Lat Long data which you can now use to navigate away from or around a weather event you wish to avoid.

The other thing I really appreciate, is that I don't need to rely just on the GRIBS because I can also bring in the GMDSS for the region I am in. Now I can read what an actual meteorologist has to say and how they interpret the data. Then I can compare that and the the four different GRIB models. If they are all similar, I have pretty high confidence in the forecast. If they are not, I dig a little deeper to try to understand why. I can also get a satellite picture but would rather have access to surface analysis maps and the 500mb map. This is not available right now.

Due to their compression, I can get it all with a SAT phone or Iridium Go. If using an SSB, it is all done with a single email. If I am ashore, I can get all of this with just the weakest of Wifi or cell signal.

I have nothing to do with Predict Wind, not associated with them in any way and was actually quite miffed that they came out with this discount right after I renewed my subscription but I can say that I am happy with their product and FWIW, the one time I contacted them with a question, their support team was back to me immediately with the answer and again a day later with a follow up, just to make sure all was good. That is a rarity today.
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 11:34   #8

Boat: Lagoon 450

[QUOTE=Pete O Static;2583735]With Predict Wind, you are accessing four different gradient wind models. One from the US, ( GFS ) one from Europe ( ECMWF ) and two higher resolution models from Predict Wind themselves. It is also bringing in wave and swell data, pressure, precipitation data and CAPE.
/QUOTE]

Just to add a little perspective to this for other readers, Windyty ALSO provides GFS and ECMWF forecasts, CAPE, swell, pressure, precip, etc - FREE for those with internet access.

I too am a PW user with both SSB and GO for offshore passaging, but I temporarily stop my subscription when in coastal regions where I have internet.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 11:53   #9
GMN
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Hi,
This is Topher from Global Marine Networks. I would like to take this time, to recommend Predict Wind very highly. It is a very good resource for weather files for all the above named reasons. You can obtain a free Predict Wind account with an XGate account from Global Marine Networks. XGate is a compression client that works over satellite to send/ receive emails, post to social media, obtain weather, and much more.

http://www.globalmarinenet.com/product/xgate/
Old 23-02-2018, 16:32   #10
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete O Static View Post
With Predict Wind, you are accessing four different gradient wind models. One from the US, ( GFS ) one from Europe ( ECMWF ) and two higher resolution models from Predict Wind themselves. .
I've found their own models, which aren't entirely their own but based on gfs & ecmwf to be pretty awful more than half a day out. And they aren't higher resolution, still working on the lower resolution data.
Lots of other benefits from predictwind but those models aren't one of them IMHO.

Onshore plenty sources of data from different models, windy.com gets better every day.
Gfs is still probably the best for us sailors.

Still a very good product though, I only recently stopped paying as the excellent display is just a bit of a treat, OpenCPN can do more than is required.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offer, wind