Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2017, 08:53   #16

Boat: J42
Re: Dingy, Tender, Dinks oh my

I second the PT11. Gorgeous DIY stackable proper tender. Wish I had one.
Boston Blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 08:58   #17

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI

Question, why aren't more "cat" style dings, seen, or used. While I've got a hard bottom 11 foot dink, I'm thinking one of my white water catarafts would be ideal.

Can carry several hundred pounds of weight on the tramp,,easily hold 2 people and handles well under motor power or oar power. 12 ft cat is roughly 80 pounds with oars, and no motor.

Is their a reason these are not used?

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 09:02   #18

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

I like my Fatty Knees 8 foot with oars, sail, and British Seagull engine. It lives upside down between the main mast and the inner forestay. We launch and recover with a threepoint harness and a 4:1 tackle attached to the spinnaker halyard.
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 09:10   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
Question, why aren't more "cat" style dings, seen, or used. While I've got a hard bottom 11 foot dink, I'm thinking one of my white water catarafts would be ideal.

Can carry several hundred pounds of weight on the tramp,,easily hold 2 people and handles well under motor power or oar power. 12 ft cat is roughly 80 pounds with oars, and no motor.

Dirk
I've looked at them. I mean the inflatable ones. I think the reason is the space you occupy is high and exposed to water and spray etc. By the time you surround the occupants and gear with something it's a bit like a party raft.... OTOH, an old Livingston Dingy is kind of a catamaran, but quite heavy.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 09:22   #20

Hmm, I envisioned the bow high, with a motor and tank.,

We build our own frames, for whitewater, most do sit on top of both tubes, so on a set of 20 inch tubes I'm 19 inchs off the water.

Cats are just so so stable and maneuverable on the water. Also tow nicely, low drama wide footprint for stability.

Thank you.

Dirk
Old 19-01-2017, 09:24   #21

Boat: Tartan 4100

Second the Fatty Knees.....I have an early Eddy and Duff 9 footer, very stable and built tough. Plus, it's easy on the eyes
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 09:40   #22

Quote:

Dirk
I've been looking at these. Sure lot's of room, stable.
Saturn Inflatable Catamaran Boats, Mini Cat Catrafts and XCAT Catamarans
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 09:49   #23

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:

Dirk

The cat inflatable may row better with a load in flat water or light load in waves but I don't think they'd do well with waves and load, waves hitting the cross beams just like a big cat.

The cathedral hull dinghies don't row well in wave, too much drag. Heavy too.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 09:52   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
I've been looking at these. Sure lot's of room, stable.
Saturn Inflatable Catamaran Boats, Mini Cat Catrafts and XCAT Catamarans
I don't see any difference between that and any inflatable dingy....? They are two tubes with fabric in between also. Unless you raise the floor up out of the water significantly... is there a difference?

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 10:04   #25

We went with this dinghy: UltraLight (UL) - ABInflatablesusa | ABInflatablesusa - Inflatable Boats & Recreational Tenders

And a 6HP Tohatsu 4 stroke. After several charter dinghies that had cracked fiberglass hulls that retained water, figured the aluminum might be better. The 9' model we purchased has worked well. Will plane with the 6 HP, and anything under 300 #'s on board. We've had as many as 5 people (approx 1,000 #'s) which is over capacity, but the boat remained stable, and moved fine through the harbor. When it's time to place on the foredeck for off shore transit, at only 68 #'s, is easy for two to handle. The 6 HP Tohatsu was the most HP I could find in a 1 cylinder. Idles with out fouling the plug, very fuel efficient, and light enough for one person to handle. I use it with a 3.5 gal aux tank, but there is a built in tank as well that can serve as a reserve tank. Like every boat, a dinghy seems always to be a compromise, but we've been pleased with this set up. Good luck!
rms95835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 10:38   #26

Boat: Alberg #0

I settled on the Portland Pudgy after a lot of research. Hard dingy strong, inflatible dingy stability, life raft, sailing kit etc. Still saving for mine...

http://www.portlandpudgy.com/

Sent from my SM-G930T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
pickpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 11:17   #27

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I have had a couple AVON inflatables, and found them to be excellent. My most recent had an inflatable floor, which was great...very light and easy on the feet.

I've owned other brands, and I like to row. Avon has a simple, solid oarlock with solid wood oars. Most other brand have plastic oarlocks and aluminum oars with plastic components. Those cheaper materials will break...they are meant for show only, not for use. If you plan to row your dink, get an Avon.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 11:22   #28

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Folks have covered the main point, as far as I can see...

So I'll only add that a high-pressure inflatable floor would very likely be OK for dogs. When we bought our first, those floors were just coming on the market and I was a bit leary about how the material would hold up to big dog toenails (a Pretty Good Pyrenees and a big Golden Receiver). Apparently, no problem; they certainly climbed all over the tubes, no damage there... so I expect the floor would have been fine.

And that style would have been easier for us to stow at the time, deflated. The roll-up hard floor we bought instead was... OK... but heavy, didn't roll up as compact as would have been useful... got hot... hinges were hard on bare feet, etc.

For an HPIF model, I'd think a beach towel temporarily laid out in the "floor" would be about all it takes to manage heat, keep the floor slightly cleaner, etc.

As folks have said, inflatables don't plane all that well. Ours, with the very minimum recommended horsepower for that boat (5-hp; 8 was max), would not. I suspect a longer HPIF version with a tad more horsepower than we put on... might.

Nor do they row all that well. The tubes flex, so losing some leverage against the oarlocks...

-Chris
Old 19-01-2017, 11:49   #29

Bob, interesting cat, it's a cat, but it's not. I don't know the answer, other then make what one has work. I use to pull my 12 cat behind my lake cruiser, a Coranado 25. Works great. Now a Hunter 25.

Very little drag. When sailing.

Avon, great boats, I've owned them many years ago. I'm excessive compulsive, look at my sailboat collection, and it's growing again soon. I've got 10 rafts, just looking for a way to max their use.

Brand names are WINGs Sotars and one Maravia,? only one round bailer left. Into cats, like a water bug on top of the water. .

As for carry load, spring,,summer fall, i routinely have me plus 250/300 pounds of kit on these boats doing solid classIII IV V water.

Will I've been trashed many many times, " flipped pitch polled, and over backwards, the gears lashed to the boat. Oars are leashed,,aswell

Lastly I've got one boat I've never got trashed on......that an 18 footer with 26 inch tubes, this boat will carry 1000 plus pounds, and requires 12 foot oars. It's a chore to row,,so I don't use it much anymore.

I've taken it over small water falls multiple times I can't seem to flip it.

Those falls on a 12 or a 14 are a wild ride, usually ending up boofed out of the boats

All my cats have tramps I can tie into the frame with para cord. Day trips are,usually without the tramp installed.

I've got a hard bottom ding,,and an Avon raft came with my ocean boat. It's stowed. Non bailer, with cheesy oars. Does have a thwart for sitting on.

I'm rambling, been indoor to long, to much snow here this year.

Dirk

Old 19-01-2017, 11:58   #30

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Can you fit several people plus dive gear (SCUBA) onto a catamaran style dinghy? And how will that much weight up high affect it's pitching characteristics as compared to a conventional dink where the weight will be much lower? How would you be assured of keeping said equipment onboard? Is there an easy way to carry an anchor for the mothership, along with the rode for same? And how do said boats do on surf line transits as compared to conventional dinghies? What about rowing for distance, or upwind in high winds & waves?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tender