Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2006, 18:28   #1

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Dingy Anchor

I didn't know where to post this, but I have a 8 foot Walker Bay with the tube around and though I have used it, I have only used it from boat to wharf. What do folks use for an anchor? I've seen the mushroom jobbies, but I don't have a lot of faith in those, though I thought one might make a great kellet. I've seen very small Danforth's, but I'm not filled with confidence with these, and the sharp points on the Danforth seems to me to be an accident waiting to happen in a small dingy. What do folks use and how often do you anchor your dingy?
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2006, 18:38   #2

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
I use a 4 prong folding anchor which stows nicely and with a small amount of chain holds well.

I do like the small Danforth type because when they are deployed on the beach have no protruding tines lurking for bare feet.

Have used mushroom type with no chain on 16’ pontoon boat in muddy bottom with good success. I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Like any anchor, it depends on bottom type and conditions.

Sunspot Baby
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2006, 01:32   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
There’s really no solution to “sharp points”, except care & caution.
Used a small Fortress (Guardian, or Danforth) c/w about 6' of chain and lots of rope.
Used the folding grapnel mostly as a stern anchor when docking (keeps the dink off of, and out from under, the dock).
Also used a light S/S wire cable painter (bow line) c/w locks to tie to public docks.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2006, 16:22   #4

Boat: Finnsailer 38
I use a little 5-lb Danforth and it holds great on nothing but rope. I frequently just throw it out as a stern anchor to hold the dink off the dock and it almost always bites right in. They were originally designed to be dropped by landing craft so they could winch themselves back off beaches, so they work great as a stern anchor.
Kettlewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2006, 17:35   #5

I like a small mushroom in the inflatable. No sharp points around the pontoons or to be driven into the inflatable when other gear is thrown on top. It's weight alone holds the dink while I'm diving. I use about 4' of chain, but really don't think it' necessary.

Tags
anchor