Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2018, 17:49   #46

Boat: Tartan 37
Re: Dinghy, to name or not to name?

This year in Bahamas a friend's dinghy was found floating 40NM in open water from where it was lost and was returned cause it had the boat's name. Most dinghies are lost do to how they were tied up. I have my boat's name on the transom and boat's name on the motor inside the cowling. Plus the motor is painted butt ass ugly orange, has reflective tape and an auto solar light. It is amazing how quick you can lose a dingy in the night. Twice have seen a dingy floating by this year. During a blow use two lines.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 18:13   #47

Boat: Beneteau First 45F5, Adams 12

We need to have the T/T on our tenders to be exempt from having to register them.
I have "T/T H63" as well as the name Submissive factor on my dinghy, H63 being the motherships registration number. Yachts name is Dominant Factor

Great idea to have a mobile number as well for when the dinghy gets restless and takes itself on a trip!
Leakie Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 18:57   #48

Boat: chris craft 55' constelation

Hi

When single and a bit of a man around town (Yeah right - memories) I named my boat 'After You' which when taking a young lady to it - she would ask 'what is your boat called?' I would reply - 'gosh that is amazing - it is named 'After You!'

Was a heart warmer ---

The dinghy was called 'After You Too' ----

Cheers

GB
gbmacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 19:05   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Clark H356 View Post
Our dinghy doesn’t have a name placed on it, but we call it Patience. Our boat name is Persistence. Give it a different name and put it on the transom.
I once saw a large house boat called Charge it! and the dinghy was turned upside down on the transom and called Cash & Carry.... Pretty funny!
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 19:14   #50

Boat: Beneteau First 45F5, Adams 12

A friend has a yacht called "Afraid Knot", the dingy is named "Afraid so"
Leakie Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 20:31   #51

Boat: Beneteau 36' CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Randy View Post
Greetings,

So I hear two trains of thought on the naming of my new dinghy.

1. Put a name on it so it is easier to identify if it goes missing and maybe be less attractive to theft because it has a name painted on?

or......

2. If you put your boats name on the dinghy people will know if your at the dinghy dock that you are not on your boat making the mother ship susceptible to break in?

Thoughts.....?

Thanks

CR

Put the name on the bottom and it solves several problem
Old 22-03-2018, 21:53   #52

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

If your yacht is a USA federally documented vessel, you could mark the tender with your documentation number and "T/T". Then someone at the dinghy dock could not know which yacht it is from, since documentation numbers are marked inside, not outside the yacht. That is, unless that someone is watching the coming and going of dinghies.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 23:04   #53

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
(also, no offence, but "third world bad guys" is a bit insulting, especially when you travel and meet such kind people all over the developing world).
How is "third world bad guys" insulting to anyone but third world bad guys? That level of political correctness is what's insulting.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 00:07   #54

Boat: Island Packet 40

I'm not going to read all the posts in this thread so maybe someone else has raised the practical issue of being able to identify which parent vessel the dingy belongs to.

Since very small dingys are predominately used as tenders to larger vessels the discovery of an abandoned dingy immediately raises the issue of whether or not the parent vessel has been lost, damaged or stranded and whether therefor there may be persons requiring rescue or assistance.

Consequently, whilst the naming of a dingy is up to the owner it shoul always identify whether or not it has a parent vessel in order to assist in deciding whether or not an expensive search is required.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 00:29   #55

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelratinter View Post
Our dinghy is named CFMWH.
After this?

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 00:50   #56

Boat: chris craft 55' constelation

I changed the name of my boat - when I was single - after a boozy night with an Irish mate. He drunkenly said one night, whilst we were moored, 'I've got a great name fer yer boat Sirosis, Scorosis Sclerosis 'Cirrhosis of de River'. (we couldn't spell it without the aid of a dictionary)

The next time we slipped her - we changed the name but, when I sold, the new owners wife 'a LADY' said she 'would never be seen in a boat with that name' - so changed back ---

Some people just don't have a sense of humour ---
gbmacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 04:47   #57

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

We weren't terribly original with ours. We named her Baby, since she comes from the mother ship.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 06:13   #58

Boat: C&C 40

Our Boats name is Ten-Ten and we call the dink Ten-Ten-der.. Its not on it yet,
Ted and Relinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 06:32   #59

Our dinghys are never branded with a name, but we always call them “Speedy” plus which # speedy it is. Now it’s kept on a platform so little chance of kidnapping. Never had issues before, though.
Old 23-03-2018, 08:36   #60

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39

Yes most people are honest, but why make it easier for those who are not. If you are determined to name it. Give it a different name than your yacht. A word if I may about dingy theft. Hardend chain. They go thru most of the bicycle cables like butter. Matzalan Mexico was the worse place for dingy theft. They show up in kayaks three young men yelling hey mister, hey mister. When I looked out my companionway hatch they took off. Latin America in general west coast, one needed to be always mindful. I took a Brillo pad to my new Tohatsu to take the new shine off. Its usually the outboard they want, frequently the dingy is disgarded.
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy