Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2016, 06:54   #31

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Dinghy blocks stern light

I would think that moving the light to a place where the dinghy wouldn't block it would be the solution, especially if you normally carry a dinghy.

Of course, towing the dinghy would solve your problem if that's possible.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:00   #32
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
See NAVISAFE | PORTABLE NAVIGATION LIGHTS and look for the white versions; apparently you can operate as all-round white or as stern light only.

Check out the magnetic (clamp) mount versions; one side installs inside your outboard motor cowling, the light itself sits on top on the outside, and the magnetic system holds it all together.

They have other mounting systems, too.

-Chris
That looks like a good possible. It is approved and meets rules and the stern light runs 32 hours on a set of batteries.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:08   #33
S/V rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
On my boat the pole is right at the stern so even an aft cockpit the helm would be forward of the light.
I could install a new light on the hull below where the dinghy hangs. It would be kind of low and even though it would meet the rules it would be a little questionable as to accomplishing its' function.

But it's worth considering because it doesn't involve running a new wire all over the place.
Old 07-09-2016, 13:12   #34

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I could install a new light on the hull below where the dinghy hangs. It would be kind of low and even though it would meet the rules it would be a little questionable as to accomplishing its' function.

But it's worth considering because it doesn't involve running a new wire all over the place.
Good idea. Anyone know offhand minimum height off of water? I thought of moving mine up but then there will be glare/light reflecting off of dinghy and ruining night vision. I'd rather get the light on the transom shining under the dinghy rather than on pulpit where it's at. Risk of course is as a boat gets closer it will not see the light.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 22:07   #35

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

It wouldn't require a lot of new wire to shift above dinghy, just start from present light...about a metre of wire, a handful of cable ties, and maybe a metre of s/s tube and a couple of u-bolts. No need to buy a new light... shift present light to end of pole...

Job done... risk of dying in the dark considerably reduced.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:19   #36
S/V rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
It wouldn't require a lot of new wire to shift above dinghy, just start from present light...about a metre of wire, a handful of cable ties, and maybe a metre of s/s tube and a couple of u-bolts. No need to buy a new light... shift present light to end of pole...

Job done... risk of dying in the dark considerably reduced.
Thanks, but I'm not going to install some make shift tube on u-bolts that will just end up being grabbed and broken. To install above the dinghy it is going to have to go up onto the solar panel frame over the bimini.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:38   #37

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Just do it right, not mickey mouse.
How hard is that?

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:30   #38
S/V rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Just do it right, not mickey mouse.
How hard is that?
Well it's almost always hard to do that. The question always becomes whether it is harder to do right once than Mickey Mouse twice.

Tags
dinghy